SASS Wire Forum

Smoking While Running Clock

Zachariah Smith 70528

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would think that even a heavy smoker could do without for the 30-60 seconds it takes to run a stage. If you need to light up just ask to be relieved.

I think most of our local ranges there is no smoking from loading table to unloading table. If someone was smoking when it was my time to shoot I would ask them to put it out or ask for a different timer. I am with Anvil Al, this is my time and I should not have to deal with cigar or cigarette smoke. I do not smoke and there is a different smell to cigarette smoke and my black powder. I think that it is also a common courtesy.

Painted Filly

It is amazing how a thread about a shooter being annoyed by a smoking TO has now morphed into a smoking TO is unable to "safely assist" a shooter through a stage. What a crock of bull. Let's see what is next.........timing and chewing gum.........gotta be unsafe. I know, holding a timer in your good hand........gotta be unsafe. Some folks need to get a reality check.

I think Smokey Shane and Al hit it right on the head and Jack you made the NON-smokers point as well...Multi-tasking is EXACTLY what a TO has to do and his attention SHOULD NOT be further impaired or distracted by his own cigar, water bottle or anything else. He IS the SAFETY OFFICER on that stage and if he isn't paying 110% attention to the shooter then he isn't doing his job, and as a result the stage isn't as safe as it should be.NO MATTER WHAT THE DISTRACTION.

The other side is someone said smoke if you want BUT NOT IN MY HOUSE---Seems to me that stage belongs to the shooter for that 18-45 seconds and the shooter should be able to determine if someone smokes in his house. The counters, scorekeeper and sometimes the brass shagger are all 'trapped' there as well.

As for the smoke from a cigarette or gun smoke~~ the difference is like night and day. Just as different as a good pipe or cigar or someone smoking buffalo-sh*t in it!

I don't think this was a 'health issue' but one of courtesy. If anyone can't do without a cigarette for long enough to time say 10 shooters maybe they shouldn't be timing at all? I mean we USUALLY don't drink while timing, I would certainly not want someone timing for me or on my posse whit a water bottle in his hand or getting a drink right when a squib happened--Would you? ---If someone can step off the line and get a drink or take a puff while targets are being reset, so what but not while actually timing.

AS far as timing and chewing gum No, but if you are unwrapping a stick of gum---You betcha! You aren't paying attention to that shooter. Just my read.

Tobacco smoke is an instant migraine trigger for me. Luckily, there a few smoking cowboys here in NC (imagine that!!!) I would have to put in my two cents and say "I'll wait until you finish that".

See you down the trail......

Hi again Folks,

I have been on posses where you find it hard to get folks to do anything but shoot and sit.

If all I have to do is light up to get somebody to take the timer, reset targets, spot or pick up brass...I'll chain smoke and go sit in the smokers corner

Just saying....;)

Regards

Wyatt

Zach

You shoot at Tri County ,Portland Or?

Didnt know they still shot there .

Aintcha glad ya asked this question????? :lol:

Well.............. maybe next match ya can get on a different posse. ;)

Hi again Folks,

I have been on posses where you find it hard to get folks to do anything but shoot and sit.

If all I have to do is light up to get somebody to take the timer, reset targets, spot or pick up brass...I'll chain smoke and go sit in the smokers corner

Just saying....;)

Regards

Wyatt

Thats funny right there and so true Wyatt

Born and raised in North Carolina, I've grown it, picked it, cured it, sold it, smoked it for 20+ years and still dip it. Cigarette smoke stops up my sinuses in a heartbeat, cigars don't, I can't explain why. Folks I shoot with smoke, it has never bothered me. If it did during a stage, I'd just politely mention it. Some of the nicest folks and ones that have helped me the most since I started are smokers. I can tolerate them if they can continue to tolerate me. I think being polite and considerate are the main things, 'bout the only thing that bothers me is folks cussin' in front of young folks during a stage...

I smoked for 40 years. Quit about three years ago. I never smoked while I was running the timer and I've been doing that for 15 years. It is simply common courtesy not to. I can't believe some of the responses from those who think their right to smoke trumps another person's right not to or be subjected to it under the stated set of circumstances. Sheeeeesh!!!

I smoked for 40 years. Quit about three years ago. I never smoked while I was running the timer and I've been doing that for 15 years. It is simply common courtesy not to. I can't believe some of the responses from those who think their right to smoke trumps another person's right not to or be subjected to it under the stated set of circumstances. Sheeeeesh!!!

:D:wub:

All that dust. All that gunsmoke. And yer sensibilities are put off their axis by a whiff or two of Tabac???

I had to chuckle the other day, the two largest stories in our local paper were one dealing with second hand smoke in bars and restaurants, and the other outlining the growing public approval of legalizing Marijuana. :lol:

Smoked for many years and even then could not stand to be confined or in close proximity to other smokers. I always made it a point to respect the space of others and thus far, I've found that the smokers I have shot with have done the same. Perhaps I've just been lucky, but I don't recall anyone ever smoking while running the timer for me. Based upon some of the reactions here, you'd think the 2nd amendment had been violated.

I like to smell burning gunpowder, hickory and oak. I also like most pipe tobaccos and cigars. I don't like smelling burning plastic or cigarettes, skunks and other folk's farts "toots." My own do not bother me. ...most of the time. Since mine don't bother me, is it safe to assume that I can fart "toot" while running the timer...for you? I need a show of hands. :D

(EDITED by SUGAH for "political correctness")

Now farting while running the timer...THAT'S another story!

Hey...I said I was sorry for that one!! It wasn't all that bad....was it? ;)

Don't smoke. Don't preach at those that do smoke. Had two cigar smokers on my posse today. Had two black powder shooters on my posse today. MORE SMOKE! ;)

Like AA, I have never encountered a TO who was smoking. I don't imagine it would bother me enough to make a scene. YMMV.

Ugh, I have. Was at a big shoot back some time ago, and they made us shoot in order, lucky me I had to shoot 1st every stage. The same person timed me for every stage, took a big drag on his cigar, blew it out all over where I was about to shoot, and said "Stand By". I never said anything, but I sure didn't like it. But, in 1,000s of matches, that was the only time.

hud

Zach

You shoot at Tri County ,Portland Or?

Didnt know they still shot there .

Aintcha glad ya asked this question????? :lol:

Well.............. maybe next match ya can get on a different posse. ;)

Stray? You still alive? :lol:

It's amazing what(and who) ya find when ya wade through two pages of BS :P

The camp's pretty well devided on this one...My guess is that it's good for another two pages! :wacko:

Cascade Charlie

+1 I couldn't say it any better.

Cigarette smoke does mot bother me. I used to smoke about a pack a month myself. I preferred OP's(other peoples).

A TO, however has a timer in one hand and the cigarette somewhere else. If it is in his other hand, I don't want him trying to accept a malfunctioning revolver from me with that same hand. If it is in his mouth, I don't believe he is as effective in the communication of safety warnings. If it is behind his ear, he is probably somewhat in danger. I just can't think of a good place for it to be located.

Some of the anti smokers in the crowd could probably offer a better solution for where he might put it. :lol:

A TO, however has a timer in one hand and the cigarette somewhere else. If it is in his other hand, I don't want him trying to accept a malfunctioning revolver from me with that same hand. If it is in his mouth, I don't believe he is as effective in the communication of safety warnings. If it is behind his ear, he is probably somewhat in danger. I just can't think of a good place for it to be located.

The TO position is very difficult to perform properly. If you want to disagree, re-read the hundreds of posts here about the possible ways to perform that task in a less than stellar manner. The full attention of the TO is required, as well as having a free hand with which to take a gun hand off, to place on a shooter's arm or shoulder to direct them to the proper target order, or to clamp over a gun when there is a serious safety problem starting to occur.

The TO being distracted from their duty, or using that free hand to hold anything is a failure to perform the TO job at the necessary level of safety. Could be a candy bar, a bottle of water, a cigarette - what ever. For safety purposes, either keep your non-timer-holding hand, and head, clear while running the timer (and thus the range), or pass the job off to someone who will.

Good luck, GJ

I think Smokey Shane and Al hit it right on the head and Jack you made the NON-smokers point as well...Multi-tasking is EXACTLY what a TO has to do and his attention SHOULD NOT be further impaired or distracted by his own cigar, water bottle or anything else. He IS the SAFETY OFFICER on that stage and if he isn't paying 110% attention to the shooter then he isn't doing his job, and as a result the stage isn't as safe as it should be.NO MATTER WHAT THE DISTRACTION.

The other side is someone said smoke if you want BUT NOT IN MY HOUSE---Seems to me that stage belongs to the shooter for that 18-45 seconds and the shooter should be able to determine if someone smokes in his house. The counters, scorekeeper and sometimes the brass shagger are all 'trapped' there as well.

As for the smoke from a cigarette or gun smoke~~ the difference is like night and day. Just as different as a good pipe or cigar or someone smoking buffalo-sh*t in it!

I don't think this was a 'health issue' but one of courtesy. If anyone can't do without a cigarette for long enough to time say 10 shooters maybe they shouldn't be timing at all? I mean we USUALLY don't drink while timing, I would certainly not want someone timing for me or on my posse whit a water bottle in his hand or getting a drink right when a squib happened--Would you? ---If someone can step off the line and get a drink or take a puff while targets are being reset, so what but not while actually timing.

AS far as timing and chewing gum No, but if you are unwrapping a stick of gum---You betcha! You aren't paying attention to that shooter. Just my read.

I have to agree. I have asthma and allergies. I can go to an indoor range and shoot without real problems, even if there is a lot of smoke hanging in the air because the number of shooters is overloading the venting system. Let me spend the same amount of time in the house of a smoker and I will be wheezing and my nose will be running. Unfortunately, this means that I have to suffer to spend time around some members of my family. I suppose I should just suffer to enjoy shooting as well...

Don't smoke. Don't preach at those that do smoke. Had two cigar smokers on my posse today. Had two black powder shooters on my posse today. MORE SMOKE! ;)

Like AA, I have never encountered a TO who was smoking. I don't imagine it would bother me enough to make a scene. YMMV.

Actually, out of 14 shooters on the posse, four of us were chain smoking cigars, and another one was smoking a pipe.

Hi again Folks,

Just saying....;)

Regards

Wyatt

My experiences and feelings as well.

NO, with a smoke in hand or mouth the RO cannot do his job as well as he can without smoking, ie, in you mouth, shooter starts to do something, it takes more time to say something, in hand, you need to grab shooter or firearm, takes longer to do so.

If you need to smoke hand off the timer, or find someplace to set it down for the time it takes to run the shooter thru.

My view from my saddle,

cheyenne

Cigars and pipes don't bother me but man Cigarettes have got to be the one of the most foul smelling items on the planet. I used to work at an Oil Refinery and they'd let off some stink but nothing compared to a cigarette. I can smell a cigarette thirty feet away in the out of doors too. Whats funny is how the stink gets in clothes, leather, even plastic.

I remember someone saying that kissing a smoker was like licking out an ash tray. - Sounds about right.

Dang it all----maby we can make up some new shooting catagories ---smokers on 1 possey----nonsmokers on 1----black powder on another??? I smoke like a outhouse on fire----know where I'd line up!!Don't ever run timer or loading table tho---for other reasons! Folks carrying on a lot of noisy hee hawing on sidelines when I'm shooting bothers me at times-----We do have one timer that smokes a pipe while timing --I'm so slow once he had to relight it 3 times on 1 stage!!!--- -----Darn---might have my own shooting catagory----silver senior-smokeless powder--cigarette smoker & farts a lot-----Might call it grouchy old buzzards?????

lol I guess I will be joining you in a few years... ;)

Actually, out of 14 shooters on the posse, four of us were chain smoking cigars, and another one was smoking a pipe.

MORE SMOKE! I missed the other ceegar smokers. I didn't see anyone running the timer while smoking a stogie, did you?

Archived