SASS Wire Forum

Dillon... Wonderin'

Alrighty then... Since we have a couple folks who resent anyone postin' non-shooting topics on the Wire, I figgered I'd post a shootin' query here in the Saloon (ACS!) Figger that might even up a mite... :rolleyes:

Anyway, while leafin' through the latest Blue Press, I started wonderin' 'bout the SDB vs the 550. Now, the 550 I'm quite familiar with. The SDB I've seen, but never used.

The SDB has a published rate of 400 - 500 rounds per hour. The 550 is listed at 500 - 600. So how come? After all, the SDB is auto-indexing, whereas the 550 is not.

Uh... my only experience with an auto-indexing press was a #%$^& Lee Pro 1000 I fought with a bunch of years ago. Those rare times when it actually worked I thought of as having too danged many things goin' on at once. A bit much for my simple mind! ^_^

Don't know, but I think recently Dillon added an auto case feeder option to the 550, so maybe that'd account for the faster nominal rate.

My brief experiences with the SDB and the 550 were both positive. Pros and cons for each. I prefer the auto-indexing feature (and use a 650 because of that, albeit WITHOUT the auto case feeder).

-Chris

Don't know, but I think recently Dillon added an auto case feeder option to the 550, so maybe that'd account for the faster nominal rate.

My brief experiences with the SDB and the 550 were both positive. Pros and cons for each. I prefer the auto-indexing feature (and use a 650 because of that, albeit WITHOUT the auto case feeder).

-Chris

I have 2 550's. 500 an hour is doable but it is a lot of work. I did it once just to see if I could, never again. I don't have a case feeder. I think the SDB is slower because of the size difference. The 550 allows more room for fat fingers. I load for 4 cowboys and my normal rate of 350 to 400 per hour is plenty fast.

I have 2 550's. 500 an hour is doable but it is a lot of work. I did it once just to see if I could, never again. I don't have a case feeder. I think the SDB is slower because of the size difference. The 550 allows more room for fat fingers. I load for 4 cowboys and my normal rate of 350 to 400 per hour is plenty fast.

Well, the size and "fat fingers factor" are the most obvious... but I have to wonder if there's some sort of mechanical issue... one would expect the "auto-indexing" to speed it up a bit. Actually hoped someone familiar with both might offer up an observation.

Yeah... I'm thinkin' of adding another loader to the bench - presently an RCBS JR, a Lyman turret press, the 550, and various and sundry other devices. But a second progressive is in order!

I have no clue, I load on a rock chucker. While it's painfully slow when I need to turn out a bunch of ammo "right now" I kind of enjoy it. I powder drop, check, and bullet seat/crimp one round at a time, great for quality control. I mean out of 1600 or so I just finished, I found ONE with a bad crimp, not sure why, actually non existent crimp, I'm thinking either short case, or short bullet not allowing the crimp to properly seat in the crimp groove.

Pardner I think it has a lot to do with advertising

and being a well trained olympian!

I have a 650 and I can load 350 or so per hour.

REMEMBER: SPEED CAUSES GUNS TO BLOW UP :wacko::blink::blush:

Go slow and enjoy the relaxsation involved in reloading....

Happy trails

QDH 48525

I have no clue, I load on a rock chucker. While it's painfully slow when I need to turn out a bunch of ammo "right now" I kind of enjoy it. I powder drop, check, and bullet seat/crimp one round at a time, great for quality control. I mean out of 1600 or so I just finished, I found ONE with a bad crimp, not sure why, actually non existent crimp, I'm thinking either short case, or short bullet not allowing the crimp to properly seat in the crimp groove.

GRIZZ .... youdefinitely need to come on in to the 21 century.... at least a Square Deal :blush:

Deacon, probably the big thing that holds me back from a square deal is that you must use Dillon dies. Not that I have anything against them, I just already own several sets of dies.

When money allows, after a couple new guns, I hope to get a progressive, right now I'm thinking a 650, but who knows...

One thing I do know, is that I want a powder check die, if it's not as easy to check each case for powder, I want something backing me up.

Oh fer sure the advertised rate isn't gonna be realized by us mere mortals. I'm puzzled by the difference in "advertised" rates. :huh:

Deacon, probably the big thing that holds me back from a square deal is that you must use Dillon dies. Not that I have anything against them, I just already own several sets of dies.

When money allows, after a couple new guns, I hope to get a progressive, right now I'm thinking a 650, but who knows...

One thing I do know, is that I want a powder check die, if it's not as easy to check each case for powder, I want something backing me up.

Griz, I don't have an SDB but I have a 550. One doesn't need Dillon dies on the 550, are you sure that's the case with the SDB? I have mostly Dillon dies for the calibers I load on my Dillon, but I have some other brands, too.

Btw, I also load with a Rock Chucker. I use the Dillon to mass produce pistol rounds (to include pistol cartridges to be used in rifles for CAS), and I use the Rock Chucker to load rifle cartridges (.30-06, .270, .223, etc.).

I like reloading. I like progressives for some things and single stage for others. It's all good.

Now if I could only convince you all to give casting a try...

Howdy HC, I haven't had much experience with a 550, but I really enjoy my 650. I primarily keep it for the small caliber, and when I wanted to do large caliber, I thought about getting a second 650 just so I didn't have to reset the primer system. I found a deal on here for a SDB with both calibers I wanted to load, and it was a good deal. I learned a few years back that I'm never going to load at the rates suggested by Dillon, so I just try to find a pace that I'm consistent, and follow good loading procedure. There's no timer on the loading bench. Especially with "Fat Fingers".

As far as the dies, yes they are proprietary, and you do have to use the Dillon dies on the SDB. So far, both have worked just fine, and with an extra toolhead, it's a snap to change from one caliber to another. I wasn't sure I would like the SDB, but after a few rounds with it, it's a good machine. Would I recommend the SDB? Yes I would, and I know a couple of folks that have them, and they have nothing but good things to say.

As far as the reloading rate, I think Dillon does it as a team sport, versus an individual event, but I could be wrong.

Alrighty then... Since we have a couple folks who resent anyone postin' non-shooting topics on the Wire, I figgered I'd post a shootin' query here in the Saloon (ACS!) Figger that might even up a mite... :rolleyes:

Anyway, while leafin' through the latest Blue Press, I started wonderin' 'bout the SDB vs the 550. Now, the 550 I'm quite familiar with. The SDB I've seen, but never used.

The SDB has a published rate of 400 - 500 rounds per hour. The 550 is listed at 500 - 600. So how come? After all, the SDB is auto-indexing, whereas the 550 is not.

Uh... my only experience with an auto-indexing press was a #%$^& Lee Pro 1000 I fought with a bunch of years ago. Those rare times when it actually worked I thought of as having too danged many things goin' on at once. A bit much for my simple mind! ^_^

Good question Hardpan, maybe it has something to do with the size of the SD. It could take into account that almost anyone's hands have a little trouble fittin in the SD. I had one fer 6 or 7 years and liked it but the 550 is my favorite. I like the manual indexing so that if something or I mess up I can fix the problem without advancing the machine and having to go back etc. You can call Dillon and I'm sure they'd answer the question for ya, they're really nice folks over there. Must be the sunshine in Az.:D Rye

Did one time 500 per hour on my SDB, never again. It was work and even made a little sweat, but I did it. Only had the one primer tube but when I first started at that 500 rate had the machine loaded with primers and the tube ready with the next 100. Was really moven, and when all done did not have one bad round loaded. Ifen I had 5 primer tubes loaded would have been much faster. I think the rate difference may be as stated, the fat fingers in a smaller area with the SDB. But, no matter which Dillon ya have, gonna be fun loaden. :lol:

Griz, I don't have an SDB but I have a 550. One doesn't need Dillon dies on the 550, are you sure that's the case with the SDB? I have mostly Dillon dies for the calibers I load on my Dillon, but I have some other brands, too.

Btw, I also load with a Rock Chucker. I use the Dillon to mass produce pistol rounds (to include pistol cartridges to be used in rifles for CAS), and I use the Rock Chucker to load rifle cartridges (.30-06, .270, .223, etc.).

I like reloading. I like progressives for some things and single stage for others. It's all good.

Now if I could only convince you all to give casting a try...

The SDB uses a proprietary die that looks different than any other that I have seen. I am pretty sure it is also a pistol cal only machine. 550 has a big enough throat to handle rifle rounds as well as pistol. I typically get 300-350 an hour out of my 550 which for me is plenty. Also if you like you can use the 550 as a single stage press.

Regards

:FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Hardpan I've been using SDBs for better then 15 years and have been happy with them throughout. Have loaded everything from 9mm on the small side to 45Colt on the large with stops at 38/357, 38Super, 40SW, 10mm, 45ACP and 44-40. An easy pace for me, doing 100 rounds then boxing them, filling a primer tube and continuing on gets me 300 per hour. I have medium size hands and only had problems with the 45Colt being "long" for the frame.

Yes the dies are specific to the machine so if you buy one and dont have regular dies for whatever calibers you are going to load on it my advice is have them on hand anyway. Its always nice to be able to do a short run of rounds on the single stage press. In comparison to the 550/650 these are small machines and dont take up a heck of a lot of room on the bench. Mine gets mounted on a thick aluminium plate that sticks out about 4" from the bench top and give me better access to the press. An old quart cottage cheese tub full of brass near stage one and my BP bullets on the bench top near station 3 and I'm good to go.

At some point I'll call Dillon and get a replacement part for the spent primer cup I've broken, my own fault, and replace the heavy duty rubber band that has been standing in for the primer arm return spring. I was going to do it last year but since it works perfectly now who cares? I've got lots of the rubber bands and an old bulk bullet box on the floor is doing just fine.

Were I to start shooting a lot of anything that needs small primers rather then the large I use now and had the room I'd shop for a used one here on the wire. Just to make like simple you know.

I'd like a 30Carbine conversion too, but that on the wish list.

Hardpan: I started hand loading with a Dillon 30 years ago. I liked the idea of "1 handle pull, 1 bullet reloaded". I never once have used a single stage press.....although on some instances I can and do use my 650 as a single stage just to satisfy a particular kind of need....say a special 308 or 45-70 set up. But my main loads by far are for pistol and at a decently moderate rate.

The advantages of even the most relaxed pace with a progressive is amplified by being able to shoot more quality ammo with less trouble than any other style press.

It does take a bit of "learning how to be an operator rather than an oiler", as my catskinner dad used to say.

I loaded with a 550 for 20 years, and a 650 these past 10. Without the case feeder the 650 would be of little advantage. And the auto index is no more complex than running yore single action revolver on a stage...pull a hammer, squeeze a trigger.....it's gotta make certain kindsa noises or ya just stop & take a look at what's going on...

I have hit more than the advertised 650 rate on a handful of occasions. It takes work and preparation. Worth the trouble? If it ain't, I can slow down & only load around 500/hr IF that's my choice. I like to loaf along sometimes and don't count 'em...but 45~60 minutes now & then loads more than me & a buddy need in a couple months.

Machine maintenance is required to keep 'em working smoothly. And that's as much a pleasure as the rest of the hobby as well.

Pardner I think it has a lot to do with advertising

and being a well trained olympian!

I have a 650 and I can load 350 or so per hour.

REMEMBER: SPEED CAUSES GUNS TO BLOW UP :wacko::blink::blush:

Go slow and enjoy the relaxsation involved in reloading....

Happy trails

QDH 48525

Agree 100%. I put my 650 to shame cause I load so slow . All said , it is a great machine but I do enjoy the relaxation part.

Well, the size and "fat fingers factor" are the most obvious... but I have to wonder if there's some sort of mechanical issue... one would expect the "auto-indexing" to speed it up a bit. Actually hoped someone familiar with both might offer up an observation.

Yeah... I'm thinkin' of adding another loader to the bench - presently an RCBS JR, a Lyman turret press, the 550, and various and sundry other devices. But a second progressive is in order!

Sorry, didn't speak to that in my first response. Yes, I could load faster on the SDB than on the 550, and yes I believe that was mostly because of the auto-index feature. That was all before a case feeder became an option for the 550, and that would likey change the dynamic if you went that route.

As others have said, the SDBs use a completely different Dillon die set, not at all like their (or anyone else's) standard 7/8" dies. And the window is only suitable for pistol calibers. Assuming you use the machine within its limitations, neither of those are necessarily show-stoppers. Many folks set up an SDB for a single cartridge/load, and if they need to load something else, get a different machine (another SDB for a different cartridge, a 550 for rifles, another brand, whatever).

OTOH, the 550 can be considered more versatile 'cause you pretty much load anything but a .50 Browning on it :)

If you mean you already have a 550 on your bench... maybe the two issues you can address are about primer size, and case feeding. I never bother to switch the 650 to small primers when we're loading for wifey. She hand-primes her own cases :) But your could set up another press to use "the other" primer size... Or you could add a case-feeder to an existing 550, maybe find that speeds your rate up sufficiently...

FWIW, I don't care at all about speed, I only care about one-pull/one-cartridge... and Dillon's hourly rate "predictions" are aggressive, some would say adventurous... and also probably come with some assumptions about how many primer tubes you can/will pre-load and stage, etc... no matter which press...

-Chris

FWIW, the 650 is the Dillon product where all my various preferences come together on the same press: auto-indexing, standard dies, 5th station for a powder check, large window for rifle cartridges, case-feeder potential. Trade-offs as usual: cost, complexity, etc.

Believe there are some other brands which would offer all the same features.

I don't happen to use a case-feeder (yet?), I'm not in a hurry...

-Chris

If you mean you already have a 550 on your bench... maybe the two issues you can address are about primer size, and case feeding. I never bother to switch the 650 to small primers when we're loading for wifey. She hand-primes her own cases :) But your could set up another press to use "the other" primer size... Or you could add a case-feeder to an existing 550, maybe find that speeds your rate up sufficiently...

-Chris

Howdy, CC, and thanks for the extra information!

Yup... that's the issue: loading .45's and .38's, and bein' too danged lazy to mess with the priming system switchover. Not difficult, but I'd rather not bother with it - sure as heck, the thing's alway set up for the wrong size.

Personally, I'd rather load my rifle rounds on the single stage... Not loading hundreds, it's fun and relaxing, and old habits die hard! ^_^

I'm as lazy as ennybuddy that reloads....and dreaded the primer change routine on the 650 as much as all of us....

however a new dynamic evolved as my reloading chores became more clarified.....I was pleased to discover that when I was loaded up several months ahead on whichever caliber, I actually never did run into that 'wrong size' issue.

Rather similar to the lesson my dad tried to put in my head, that it didn't cost any more to run off the top half of the gas tank than the bottom half.

The Dillon press works best with periodic cleaning & routine maintenance. The demands of reloading multiple calibers eventually centered around the simple reality of 'primer size'.

Since I shoot far more 45LC due to SASS matches, that's my own main loading demand.

Typically with the components I use, in 3-5000 round batches finds cleaning the press is a time saving advantage. If nothing has broke down, that's a good point to get the debris out of the various crannies. It's a good time too, to change calibers while still using the same primer size.

After loading a variety of large primer calibers, all my brass is stuffed full. And coincidentally my shooting needs for the next 6-12 months have been satisfied. Then I break it down, clean & change the primer size, & do it on the other size primer system.

This may occur 2 or 3 times a year...hardly enough to reach a point where my oversize lazy bone kicks in too much. It is a joy to revisit the advantages of a progressive loader during those few minutes while marveling in how well the machine is designed despite having to fiddle a bit. Those few minutes a few times a year provide months and months of pleasure shooting a variety of custom loaded components.

To each his own.

Howdy, CC, and thanks for the extra information!

Yup... that's the issue: loading .45's and .38's, and bein' too danged lazy to mess with the priming system switchover. Not difficult, but I'd rather not bother with it - sure as heck, the thing's alway set up for the wrong size.

Personally, I'd rather load my rifle rounds on the single stage... Not loading hundreds, it's fun and relaxing, and old habits die hard! ^_^

Choices, choices. So many presses, so little time. :)

I could probably make a good argument for a 650, another 550, or an SDB... so you gotta work out your own preference.

Or like Jake suggests, manage your loading schedule, just deal with primer changing from time to time.

Another approach somewhat similar to ours and maybe easier on a 550 than a 650, and cheaper than a new press: use a hand-primer and just skip that operation on the progressive. Size/decap on the 550 or with a universal decapper on your single-station press. Then use an RCBS or Lee hand-primer, which you could probably run at the rate of about 200 cases/hour. When you're REALLY ready to load that batch of cases, finish 'em off on the 550. (We do that, but some of that's maybe easier for us because wifey usually does her own sizing/decapping and priming.)

-Chris

Archived