SASS Wire Forum

Need info: shipping pistols to California

Widder, SASS #59054

Hey Pards.

I need some good info to help me out.

I'm wanting to ship a pair of Ruger Single Actions to a California FFL.

I am not an FFL.

A local FFL tells me that 'I' cannot ship those pistols but rather 'HE', being an FFL, can only ship those pistol to a receiving FFL.

PLUS, 'HE' needs me to get an 'Approval Number' from the State of Cal before he can ship them to the FFL in Cal.

NOW, someone on another gun forum is saying that they live outside California and do not have an FFL but they legally shipped a lever action rifle to an FFL in California without any other problems nor was an 'Approval Number' required.

Can someone share some real facts about this to help me out. I'm wanting to get these pistols in the mail as soon as possible without unnecessary hands involved.

Mucho thanks.

..........Widder

Rember that a rifle and hand gun are different animals and the laws are diferent, contact the FFL in Ca and I bet he can give you the right way to do it.

if your selling, you do NOT have to use an FFL to send it, or get the cflc letter. You can send them directly to the ffl in CA with just a copy of your drivers license.

hud (ffl)

Widder;

Hud's info is impeccably correct. Both Hud and Irish Red O'Toole are good folks to do business with. I know both of them personally, and can vouch for both of them.

Cheers,

FJT

Looking forward to GoA again this year!

Ship them to Jose in Mexico. He can bring up threw the open border with his regular weekly shipments...no paper work required.

This would be funny if it wasn't true...

How sweet of you to send me pistols! ;)

Allie: I'm sure you looked lovely in them. :rolleyes:

Kate: I hope you like those rare 'Pink Ivory' grips! :D

Matthew: that was funny.

Hud, FJT, Nate: Many thanks. That will help speed things up alittle.

Buckhorn: hope you complimented Allie. Never leave a compliment breathless. Speak up, for the receiving heart will gain an extra beat of life.

Best regards all,

..........Widder

Widder,

What Hud said is 100% dead on. No FFL needed to ship, no CLFC letter (shippng approval number) required, just a copy of your driver's license. It is true that some FFLs don't like to receive firearms from non-FFLs, but federal law says it is perfectly OK for you to send them. One thing you may not know, a private party cannot ship handguns via the US Postal Service. They have to go via "common carrier". That means Fed Ex or UPS. Also, those two outfits usually require handguns to go overnight air. Not a cheap way to ship.....

IROT(another CA FFL....we are a vainshing species)

Well there ya have it.. Hud is a genius course here in CA we know that already.. lol.. Now can he shoot?.. Hmm says he can.. lol.. Oh, okay fine he can.. lol

IROT:

thanks. I didn't doubt Hud, FJT and Nate but I was also hoping that you would reply. Thats settles it for me.

Deja: you need to come out of the saloon more often. We are not as hostile over hear as some would believe.

Best regards all.

..........Widder

Archived