SASS Wire Forum

Night Shoots

We keep it very simple and safe. Light sticks taped to the targets give some reference (and they look cool if they're hit) ;) . Movement is kept to a minimum. Our range is Really dark. :)

PS it's black powder only.

We keep it very simple and safe. Light sticks taped to the targets give some reference (and they look cool if they're hit) ;) . Movement is kept to a minimum. Our range is Really dark. :)

When I get home I will send ya some DAMMIT Gang stages/ scenerios as well as info on our shoots....

We will be having another DAMMIT Gang night shoot in March in Norco the night before our clubs regular monthly match...

We are gonna use road flares this time tolight the targets...

Shootin;, gamblin', drinkin', and wimmins.

Not all at the same time tho :huh:

JJJ-D

:ph34r::ph34r:

When I get home I will send ya some DAMMIT Gang stages/ scenerios as well as info on our shoots....

We will be having another DAMMIT Gang night shoot in March in Norco the night before our clubs regular monthly match...

We are gonna use road flares this time tolight the targets...

Shootin;, gamblin', drinkin', and wimmins.

Not all at the same time tho :huh:

JJJ-D

:ph34r::ph34r:

JJJ, Are you going to be running things? I would like to talk and share a little bit about the way I helped my pard Wyoming run his "Howling Dog" night shoots at Pala. They were very successful for about 14 years running. He has since moved and taken his gear. But I have the knowlege of what he did to make it so.

K.. so y'all talk.. and let me know.. I just want to shoot in the dark.. sounds too cool... lol DV

Well guess no one has any info for night shoots so will look elsewhere. Thanks Hardtwist

Hardtwist, I know Jittery Jim said he would get back to you. He will. We've had a great loss to our shooting family and he's "First Line" with the family right now.

Well, you have to have SOME lighting. We usually have a flood or two shining on the side berm to allow shooters to see the target outline a little. You do have to have SOMETHING to sorta aim at.Keep the stages simple, no complicated sweeps, etc. A totally blacked out stage is just a waste of ammo. Paint all targets white (or the edges white). I would suggest only 2 or 3 stages max as it's usually colder and people lose interest quickly after an hour. Regards, Baddog N.

Well guess no one has any info for night shoots so will look elsewhere. Thanks Hardtwist

Send me a PM with your regular email and I'll get stuff out to ya...

JJJ-D

:ph34r: :ph34r:

Go to Dick Lucre face book page and there is a video of our night shoot.

For safety and convenience put good lighting at the loading and unloading tables. Flashlights help bigtime also.

Remember you might have Cap and Ball shooters, it's hard for them to get everything right in darkness. Try to keep shadows from distracting the shooters.

Minumul lighting shining at the targets, maybe just enough to help the shooter pickup the target outlines. Road flares sounds really cool.

My opinion is it's more about having fun than about the competition. Make it easy, keep things lite and everybody will want to do it again. ;)

I've only been to a few night shoots, but I enjoyed them very much. As others have said, keep the stages fairly simple with a little movement.

And you can use different lighting on different stages for fun effects. Light some with lighting mainly from the side of the targets.

If you can, have one stage where you put light back of and above the shooters, with the light directed at the targets. It can be amazing to see the difference.

If light is rather limited near loading and unloading you will find the shooters huddling near the light and being sort of cramped together. Sort of intimate and okay, but could be a safety concern.

Another safety concern is the props. We often use those "horse" props for long guns - the legs are used to support the long guns. We generally have no problem with them in daytime shoots, but a few thought their guns was solid on the horse, only to have it fall. The gun was solid on one end only. I almost lost my rifle. As I was setting it down, I noticed that my hand kept going down. I froze and realized that if I let go, the gun was gone. Scared me - I was able to recover and finish the stage safely, but sure messed up that stage for me. So I recommend using fairly large tables for all props.

I'll show you what the Winter Range BP night shoot looks like for this year. The theme is the "Burning of Atlanta" from Gone with the Wind. We have a cityscape sitting on railroad ties that is backlit by fire barrels. The flames will be visible through all the windows and doors.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee241/pettifogger1/P1030401.jpg

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee241/pettifogger1/P1030404.jpg

The wooden buildings ARE the rifle and pistol targets. The wood can take a lot of rifle and revolver hits, but the shotgun would tear the targets up to quickly so the two blue steel plates are for the shotgun. We turn off all the range lights and only have small flashlights at the loading and unloading tables. We find that scoring simply inhibits the fun factor. People are at a BP night shoot to make flames, most don't even care if they hit a target. The WR night shoots average around 125 shooter with a good size group of spectators. This year I expect a few more shooters. The grand finale will be to obliterate whatever is left of the cityscape with a Gatling gun or two loaded with .45-70 BP rounds. Makes quite a show. Might even have a canon pop off a couple of rounds.

WOW Larceny Dammit, I think I might have to beef up my loads a tad to get those buildings to burnin'. I love a challenge though. :D

Special 45-70 BP too, oh my. Count me in on that.

Plus we maybe able to have all stand the line and fire a shotgun or two as a salute for Laylow Curley if we might. He was big on night shooting and fun.

For anyone who does not shoot BP yet wants to be part of the tribute to Laylow Curly, I will have extra 12 gauge shells and an extra Double. Yes, you will have to clean your own SG when you are done. You can find me by looking for Giddy Up.

Jailhouse Jim

And we don't keep score anymore, just have lots fo fun. :lol: At the very end we line everyone up for a "grand finale" with the shotguns...all firing at once. So much smoke, I even have trouble breathing :wub:

Archived