SASS Wire Forum

Winter Woes

Howdy

It's been a pretty tough winter so far in these parts. I came across this scene yesterday about 1/2 mile north of my house. Honest, I did not find this on the internet. I have no idea what the story is. I will cruise by later to see if it is still there.

Car in Snowbank

Closeup

Looks like someone ignored the Snow Parking Ban and got tagged by a plow. Oops.

Some years ago I struck up a conversation with a gentleman in a coffee shop, and he related the following tale ...

Back in the early 50's Akron Ohio got socked with a major blizzard, bringing the city to a standstill. He was in the National Guard at the time and got mobilized to deal with the emergency. As part of an armored company, they were tasked with cruising the streets to assist with medical emergencies, as ambulances couldn't navigate in the snow. As they cruised down one street, his tank suddenly lurched up and over something in the road. The crew got out, and found they had just lengthwise run over a brand new Buick. They figured it must belong to the people living in the house right where the car had been parked in front.

He rapped on the front door, and a very elderly lady answered. He asked if she owned a new Buick, and had it been parked in the street? She answered yes, her and her husband had just bought it two weeks prior. He apologized, and said they had just run over it with their tank.

Unfazed, she said "Oh my. You boys look cold. Would you like to step inside for some tea?"

Looks like someone ignored the Snow Parking Ban and got tagged by a plow. Oops.

Some years ago I struck up a conversation with a gentleman in a coffee shop, and he related the following tale ...

Back in the early 50's Akron Ohio got socked with a major blizzard, bringing the city to a standstill. He was in the National Guard at the time and got mobilized to deal with the emergency. As part of an armored company, they were tasked with cruising the streets to assist with medical emergencies, as ambulances couldn't navigate in the snow. As they cruised down one street, his tank suddenly lurched up and over something in the road. The crew got out, and found they had just lengthwise run over a brand new Buick. They figured it must belong to the people living in the house right where the car had been parked in front.

He rapped on the front door, and a very elderly lady answered. He asked if she owned a new Buick, and had it been parked in the street? She answered yes, her and her husband had just bought it two weeks prior. He apologized, and said they had just run over it with their tank.

Unfazed, she said "Oh my. You boys look cold. Would you like to step inside for some tea?"

Priceless..!

it's interesting how what we see as important changes as we get older.. !

Howdy Again

Drove by yesterday and the car had been removed. Still don't know what the story was.

You had to be there to see it. The car had been lifted several feet off the ground and shoved nose first into a hardened pile of snow, not a soft drift. And from the position of the car relative to the road, the car was not parked on the road. Wrong side of the road too. No way a plow operator would not have known he did this. Would have taken a really big plow too. When I stopped by the second day, a truck from the DPW was taking a picture and reporting it, so nobody had reported it up to then either.

Archived