SASS Wire Forum

Looking for 2 .357 mag pistols to shoot with

Guest speedylee

Guest speedylee

Looking for 2 .357 mag pistols that will shoot .38sp rounds. Also looking for a .357 mag rifle and 12 guage shotgun anybody know what guns I should get or where to get them? Anybody willing to part with their guns?

speedylee - Welcome to the fire.

Guns are much like cars, Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Ruger, Colt, Uberti, opinions vary.

Find a club local to you and go to matches, folks there will be happy to answer your questions and will likely let you try out their guns. Try before you buy if as all possible. About the only thing that is one size fits all in Cowboy Action Shooting is a wild rag, but some of us with fat necks even make that debatable at time.

Hang on, enjoy the ride, and have FUN. Fun is the most important part of the game IMO.

Grizz

Dont just buy guns.Go to a club and look and talk and shoot some before you buy. I have only been in sass for about 5 months and have bought 3 sets of guns because I bought the first set that were offered and was not what I wanted.Go to a club.

Guest speedylee

Ya unfortunately closest club is an hour away and only time i would be able to go is on weekends and its hard to go on weekends sometimes cause of cost to get there and the time it takes to go there and get back home.

I agree with Pit Bull and Grizzly. You probably want to be thinking about what class you'revinterested in shooting too as that will matter when picking your guns. I'm also a newbie and I'm going with Ruger revolvers in 357/38, an Uberti 1873 in the same caliber, and a Stoeger 12 gauge hammerless shotgun. But I got a lot of good advice from some pretty experienced shooters, one of whom told me not to buy anything quickly. It's good advice.

Welcome!

Where are you at in LA?

There are quite a few excellent clubs in the state, plus MS & TX.

If you haven't been to a shoot I'd like to suggest you go to a few first. As stated, they all feel a little different - and them once mods are made grips, springs, hammers - even more different feels.

If you have been to some shoots - go to a few more and ask to borrow some guns for the whole match. I, like many others, always have an extra pair of pistols, and usually a couple extra shotguns.

It was very difficult for me to ask to borrow someone elses guns at a match. It just didn't feel right. I'm beyond that now and not only will I ask to shoot someone elses guns - I never fail to carry an extra pair to help a new shooter out. Don't rush out to buy new guns too quick.

OK, Speedylee. I'll take a stab at it. This is my opinion of a good place to start.

Marlin 357 rifle 20" barrel

Ruger Vaquero or Blackhawk 357 and 4 5/8" barrels

Stoeger 12 gauge SxS with 20" barrels

There are as many different combinations and types of guns as there are opinions. Most of it depends on how deep your pockets are and what you want to accomplish. With a little slicking up, this combination is capable of winning any match. The rest is up to the driver.

Badlands Bob

Ya unfortunately closest club is an hour away and only time i would be able to go is on weekends and its hard to go on weekends sometimes cause of cost to get there and the time it takes to go there and get back home.

Welcome to SASS, if you hope to be a top shooter be prepared to spend a lot of time practicing. You need to join a local club (mine is 45 minutes away) and you'll find everyone willing to let you try out their guns. Read the SASS handbooks and try to decide what Category you want to shoot in. If you don't decide before you start buying guns you'll be buying for a long time (my safe is too small now). Also you need to know what fits your hands and what works for you.

Be prepared to have the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

Randy

http://wartracecowboys.blogspot.com/

Those same clubs you'd be going to learn are the ones you'd be shooting matches at after you got your guns. Many of us travel a couple hours each way to matches on a regular basis to feed our cowboy shooting addiction.

This link should take you to a list of SASS affiliated clubs for LA. You might want to also check neighboring states as there might be clubs close there as well. Contact those clubs, see if they have a new shooter clinic coming up. Often they will supply the guns, gear, and even ammo to show you what the game is all about. Even if a clinic isn't happening soon, I'd bet you get an invite to shoot with loaned guns for a match.

Seriously, and I mean no offense, if the cost of a couple hours drive to a match is keeping you away, this game might not be for you. Between the guns, gear, ammo, reloading equipment, matches, etc. it is not cheap. BUT, it is just about the most fun you can have with your clothes on!

Grizz

Guest speedylee

I've been to one shoot before and enjoyed it thoroughly. I've gone to a lot of shops after that and asked around a lot and so far the ruger vaquero is what i get told a lot because of its durability and reliability. Not looking to spend a whole bunch right off the bat, trying to get the pistols first then the rifle then shotgun. I'm 13 and 6'1 with pretty big hands looking for something that i can shoot for a long time.

Guest speedylee

Ya i'd totally be willing to drive to the shoot and back i just wanted to at least get the pistols and belt and everything first since i figured thats the most hassle to loan but after that i'll be shootin every chance i get.

We have a shoot in Natchez, MS the first Saturday of every month (except tomorrow - weather!)

At 13, I have to ask how you're getting to the shoots?

I'll also tell ya that I do my damndest to make the shoot up in Quitma, LA on the fourth Saturday of the month - close to three hours each way - but the folks up there are worth the drive.

Some of it depends upon what class you choose to shoot in.

Best advice is to go to local shoot and check things out with the cowboys there.

If that's not possible, then my opinion, worth exactly what you paid fer it, and assuming cost is an issue:

Entry level shotgun: Stoeger Coachgun. Around here they're about $300, retail. Will need some work out-of-the-box, but easy to do, even for non-gunsmith. Check out Marauder's website. Better, of course, is an action job by one of many competent gunsmiths. This assumes you're not planning on shooting Classic Cowboy, in which case TTN from Cimarron.

Rifle: Marlin 1894. Again, a good action job by competent gunsmith makes it nice; mine was done by LongHunter. 1892 clones are recommended by some, but my '92 doesn't cycle .38's that well if I push it, and it has an action job by one of the best. Again, if Classic Cowboy is in yer future, then an 1866 or 1873 Uberti replica, although they are substantiall more costly than the Marlin.

Pistolas: Probably either Uberti 1873 Cattleman or Ruger Vaquero. Uberti Cattleman is replica of Colt's Peacemaker, and Vaquero's are extremely reliable and offer the safety of the transfer bar. Both, once again, benefit from good action jobs. These may also depend upon yer style of shooting. As a Gunfighter, I find the Ruger New Vaquero with Montado hammers to be ideal fer me.

Best to try before you buy. Most cowboys/cowgirls will let you try their guns, tell you why they like them, and may even loan you what you need until you can get yer own. If they do that, suggest you bring yer own ammo (after checking with whomsowever you're borrowing), and offer to push the guncart.

Once you decide upon the pistolas, you'll need to think about leather, but don't go there until you have decided.

If yer still wanting to see what's available, might check out the SASS Wire Classified.

Good Luck, and welcome to the fun.

Ya i'd totally be willing to drive to the shoot and back i just wanted to at least get the pistols and belt and everything first since i figured thats the most hassle to loan but after that i'll be shootin every chance i get.

I promise - if you show up to the shoot this month in Quitman (Jackson Hole Regulators) I'll have a pair of Ruger Super Blackhawk pistols and a couple extra shotguns.

If for some reason I can't show up - there will be others with spare guns.

Ruger New Vaqueros are great guns, they are what I shoot. They have a reputation for being very durable. Lots of folks in SASS shoot Rugers. Will they fit your hands and be comfortable to shoot? I have no way of knowing.

As you visit clubs, you'll make contacts and friends, you might even find someone willing to give you a ride to matches. Also, alot of times before matches, folks will set out things they have for sale, this is a great source for used gear.

If you can make it out to one of the local clubs annual matches that would be a great opportunity for shopping as well. Most have a swap tent and vendors.

Grizz

How for are you from Lake Charles?There is a shoot there next weekend.It is 2 1/2 hours from me and I go 2 times a month.I shoot in Orange the other 2 week ends.Lake Charles and Orange both have a new shooters class.Come on over if you are not to far.I have shotguns and rifles and we can share six guns.I shoot p models which are smaller than rugers as big as you are you would like rugers .Get your mom to bring you and we will let her shoot also.

Welcome to the wire from another new member!

I think it is great that you have interest in the sport at a young age, you'll be around some great influences from what I've been seeing in the forum.

And for a view from the other side of the fence; I'm still a relatively new shooter, but before I started I had two black powder Old Armies and a 357 Rossi 92. Everyone said go to a bunch of matches and borrow guns to see what works/fits for me. Well I was not going to buy new pistols when I already had two nor a rifle when I already had one. So I talked at length with a good friend who shot SASS for all the info he could shed and then bought two conversion cylinders for the old armies (45 LC placing me in Frontier Cartridge). I traded in the 357 Rossi for one in 45 LC and I bought a Stoeger SXS in 12 ga. So instead of following the advice of others and buying four guns, I ended up buying just one shotgun. The other thing was my leather gear. I ended up with a 50" gun belt. Can you imagine me showing up to a range asking to borrow a 50" gun belt? I just don't imagine that panning out too well at all. Kind of a hefty size if you ask me. So with the purchase of a shotgun and some leather gear I was fully equipped to go to the range and shoot Frontier Cartridge with my own gear and ammo. It felt great. After a few shoots I realized that it was a bit cumbersome at the loading/unloading tables with the cartridge converted Old Armies. I was taking forever to load and unload my pistols and it was making me very nervous to say the least. Another thing was the R&D cylinders did not lend themselves easily to showing to others which chamber was left empty so that made others nervous as well. So I sold the pair and with the sale I bought a pair of Ruger Bisley Vaquero's which I now shoot and will continue to do so. Smithy.

Howdy SpeedyLee and welcome to the fun.

Pistols = Have to echo Capt. Burt's comments on the Rugers - can't be beat for value and reliability. It'll be a one-time investment that will give you years of service.

Rifle = Lots of choices, lots of partisan opinions. I started out with a '92 and it's never let me down. I now shoot a '73 and it's a good (although more expensive) rifle. The Marlins ... I've seen and read about problems with them, but not owning one I can't speak from a first-hand perspective so I'll not comment on them. However, since they were swallowed up by Remington there have been lots of reports on this and other forum sites about quality issues. Caveat Emptor.

Shotgun = Plenty of choices here too. The Stoeger has its devotees and is relatively inexpensive. The Baikal is also a good choice. Coach gun or standard length ... in my own experience I've found the short ones tend to buck harder, while shotguns with 26" to 28" tubes are an asset with the longer sight radius. Try 'em both before you decide.

I did notice you had an oblique comment about being able to use 38 Special ammo. Compared to 357, the cost difference between the two is non-existent, and you'll find that rifles tend to run more reliably with 357 ammunition without trying to load 38 to the same length.

And for a view from the other side of the fence; I'm still a relatively new shooter, but before I started I had two black powder Old Armies and a 357 Rossi 92. Everyone said go to a bunch of matches and borrow guns to see what works/fits for me. Well I was not going to buy new pistols when I already had two nor a rifle when I already had one. So I talked at length with a good friend who shot SASS for all the info he could shed and then bought two conversion cylinders for the old armies (45 LC placing me in Frontier Cartridge). I traded in the 357 Rossi for one in 45 LC and I bought a Stoeger SXS in 12 ga. So instead of following the advice of others and buying four guns, I ended up buying just one shotgun. The other thing was my leather gear. I ended up with a 50" gun belt. Can you imagine me showing up to a range asking to borrow a 50" gun belt? I just don't imagine that panning out too well at all. Kind of a hefty size if you ask me. So with the purchase of a shotgun and some leather gear I was fully equipped to go to the range and shoot Frontier Cartridge with my own gear and ammo. It felt great. After a few shoots I realized that it was a bit cumbersome at the loading/unloading tables with the cartridge converted Old Armies. I was taking forever to load and unload my pistols and it was making me very nervous to say the least. Another thing was the R&D cylinders did not lend themselves easily to showing to others which chamber was left empty so that made others nervous as well. So I sold the pair and with the sale I bought a pair of Ruger Bisley Vaquero's which I now shoot and will continue to do so. Smithy.

Should have kept at it. I been shooting ROA's as a duelist for quite a while. I use Kirst cylinders and can load almost as fast as any other shooter. Showing a empty cylinder just takes a practiced eye. They sure a a blast to shoot too.

Go to longhunt.com and order either a pair of Ruger New Vaqueros (I recommend the stainless version)in 357 or a pair of 38 special USFA Rodeos. He also can furnish you with a really slicked up Uberti 66 or 73 rifle.

The major advantage of ordering pistols and rifle from world champ Long Hunter is he sells the guns for about the same price as anywhere else but they come with his world class action job included. Then you will have the tools to compete with anyone and become a top shooter.

Yes an LH rifle is gonna be relatively expensive. If that is too much right now then haunt the SASS wire classifieds. Really good deals are offered here every day. Marlins are really hard to find right now but if you can find one and get it slicked up good, you can run with anyone. If you want to be a top shooter stay away and I mean don't even think about a 92, Henry Big Boy or 94 Winchester. Only a Marlin, Uberti 66, or Uberti 73 will allow you off the porch to run with the Big Dogs.

speedylee, as you can see, opinions vary about what is good or best.

Alot of folks shoot Marlins, and a Marlin tuned by one of the top gunsmiths like Jimmy Spurs can take you a long ways and not cost you as much as a slicked up 73.

It all depends on how deep your pockets are, that is to say how much money you have to spend.

If I had a boatload of cash, I'd buy the following

A pair of Longhunter tuned SASS Ruger Vaqueros $1350

A "Codymatic" 73 Half Round / Half Octagon Barrel, Straight Stock - $1,320 plus shipping

A Browning BSS hammerless side by side 12 guage, hard to find, prices vary, around maybe $1200

Wait a minute, yer not done yet...

Gunleather, a good quality custom made rig will set you back maybe $700 plus.

And ya need a gun cart.

And ammo, and shooting cowboy action, you're gonna want to reload, so you'll need reloading press and all the goodies.

Of course, this is just my pie in the sky list, you can get by alot cheaper to start off if you have to. Box stock Rugers and Marlin, and a TTN hammered double will get you playing the game. And buying used from someone local who is upgrading saves you some more.

I think my mom would have hit the roof if I discovered this game at 13, I was lucky to get a cheap used .22 rifle at that age.

Grizz

Speedylee. We will be shooting at the Cypress Creek Cowboys in Downsville,La next weekend. Its west of Monroe a few miles. Send me a message thru here or an email. If you think you can make it up, I will see what we can round up for you to shoot.

For the match in Quitman, ya'll could just travel Hwy 4 to Chatam, and then it wouldnt be very far to the range...its actually just outside of Jonesboro

Ruger pistols would serve your needs very well and they will last a lifetime. I agree with the Marlin, 66, or 73 comments. Stick with the same caliber with your cartridge guns, .38s are the least expensive way to go, retail or reloading your own. Shotguns have some relatively inexpensive choices, though I would suggest 12 ga. I like having two slightly forward canting holsters and do not like the cross draw setups. Many others prefer the cross draw, though. If you were local, I'd sell you a spare cart pretty cheap.

If you have some patience, you could get these guns, leather, and cart at a pretty good discount. Saving money allows most of us to shoot more for the same dollar, since we end up spending on something. Talk to a bunch of folks to kinda survey their opinions and let them show you what they use. The most popular choices would give you an idea of what is suitable.

I've been to one shoot before and enjoyed it thoroughly. I've gone to a lot of shops after that and asked around a lot and so far the ruger vaquero is what i get told a lot because of its durability and reliability. Not looking to spend a whole bunch right off the bat, trying to get the pistols first then the rifle then shotgun. I'm 13 and 6'1 with pretty big hands looking for something that i can shoot for a long time.

You really need ta try the guns before ya buy, especially the revolvers.

I decided against Rugers because of the size and weight. I have small hands and a short grip, the rugers just don't feel right to me...

You have a great advantage in your age, most shooters will bend over backwards ta help ya, AND, you may find good buys on the guns from other shooters not to mention someone that may live close to you. That way you can carpool!

JJJ-D

:ph34r::ph34r:

Archived