SASS Wire Forum

School me on Colt Cowboy six-shooters,please

Throckmorton,23149

I just saw a matched pair,NIB,unturned,consec. numbers,5 12" barrels for sale locally.

but,i'm not familiar with them..are they made in USA of offshore parts,or just why are they different than the std P models?

and are they worth 1500.00 the pair?

IF I bought them to shoot,would I be foolish for any reason in doing so?>

thanks,Pards

I think there was a post on the colt cowboys not to long ago. I dont know anything about them. I think they had a tranfer bar.

They are not collectible. I'm sure Sixgun Shorty will chime in here.

Howdy

Well, I ain't Sixgun Shorty, but I can shed a little bit of light on the subject.

The Colt Cowboy was a short lived attempt by Colt to be competitive with Ruger. They were first introduced in 1998. Parts were mostly made in Canada and assembled in the US. They did feature a transfer bar, as well as a fair number of castings. Initially the Colt Cowboy suffered from QC problems and they quickly gained a poor reputation. Later, Colt corrected most of the problems, but the die was cast and Colt stopped producing them. No, I do not know when.

I did have a chance to shoot one once, and it was a reasonably good revolver, I have certainly seen worse. They are not collectible and generally still suffer from a bad reputation.

from what I"ve read so far,I'm very glad I held off on a mad impulse to have them.

I just knew that since they were half the price of 'real' colts.,they were something I'd beetter investifgate before jumpin in with both feet.

thanks,Pards.

My understanding from some friends who had (past tense) some, the "color case hardening" was not true case hardening but a sort of paint or dye job to the metal and it did not wear well. It had a tendency to rub off or fade. The action was not very good out of the box and many gunsmiths would not work on them. Parts are hard to get. They have little or no collector value.

I bought a pair of them thinking they would be the only Colts I could afford. When I ran a patch down the barrels before I shot them I saw a row of bumps inside the barrels. When the info on the barrels was stamped, it was done at an angle and the first letter of each word hit so hard it dimpled the inside of the barrel. I sent them back to Colt to fix the barrels and asked them about the really poor fit of the grips. They put new barrels on them and said the grips "were within the manufacture tolerences for the Cowboys". Really junk. I bought a pair of Colt blackpowder frame .45's and they are great. The Cowboys are now worth more than I paid for them and have a value only to collectors.

• 2 weeks later...

In a work. junk

Colt Cowboys were my first CAS guns. I wanted Colts but could'nt afford the SAA's. Paid about 530 for each. I used them for the first three years more or less and put a couple of thousand rounds thru each. I NEVER HAD A SINGLE MALFUNCTION! I want to stress that! They shot pretty much POA

But........I could never get used to the transfer bar. It just doesn't feel right. I bought a pair of USFA Rodeos and put the Cowboys in the safe. I agree about the "case hardening", it;s crappy, and at first I found them a bit rough, but I put Wolff springs on them and was quite happy.

Having said that, however, I would not pay 1500 for a pair.

I had one didn't like it a bit. Action was rough, timing was off and it just felt weird! For shooters they're worth maybe 800-1000 for the pair but you won't like 'em. Just MHO, Rye

I just saw a matched pair,NIB,unturned,consec. numbers,5 12" barrels for sale locally.

but,i'm not familiar with them..are they made in USA of offshore parts,or just why are they different than the std P models?

and are they worth 1500.00 the pair?

IF I bought them to shoot,would I be foolish for any reason in doing so?>

thanks,Pards

As recently as 10 days ago, you could have bought a "pair" of real Colts for $1500 on one of the gun sites. Now that being said, go with what everyone else says and buy your Rugers. There is a NIB pair of Ruger SASS pistols on AuctionArms for less than $1100. These already have action work SBH hammers etc. JMHO !! B)

Capt Hill

Archived