SASS Wire Forum

As a PUBLIC SERVICE...

Long Jim Hancock

Would not open for me.

Here 'tis

Link had a few too many https

I think Tonto Rim used to have that in their catalog.

...ain't no names of creases on them thar links... <_<

Sure is

Save the image to your photos, and then enlarge; you can read 'em clearly then

LL

Or click at the bottom of the page above the arrow where it says "Click Here for full size view of hat creases and brim styles." ;)

A lot of those creases have been around for years, but their names change, usually due to a popular character in a movie or something similar. For example, the old "Packer's" crease and "Montana Slope" are now lumped together in what is called a "Gus" crease, from "Lonesome Dove." It was even called the "Tom Horn" for a while after Steve McQueen's role in the movie by the same name. I've seen where the old "Two-Dot" has been called the "Rooster" after John Wayne's memorable portrayal. And the old slope crease that Tom Mix made popular has been called the "Tom Mix" and the "Quigley."

A lot of them were named after the area where they were made popular, and when I was a little kid, a lot of the creases were "regional" and some guys could actually tell where a person was from just by the crease in his hat. For example, I originally heard the "Tycoon" crease referred to as the Palo Duro. We're seeing that "regional" trend sneak back in a few places today. When I see the "Taco" crease, for example, odds are the guy is from Texas. When we see the "Ash Tray" with a flat brim, chances are the guy is from one of the Buckaroo states, i.e., Northern California, Idaho, Nevada, or Oregon.

I know there are a few people who claim that some of these creases weren't around during the late 1800's. They were. They just weren't as "popular" as they are now. It's kinda like green-plaid sports coats today. They're out there, but very few people wear them.

You've got to remember, most of the creases came about just because that's how a guy would grab his open-crowned hat when taking it off his head. Eventually, it became the stylish thing to do. Ah, yes. You gotta love the vanity of fashion. :)

Archived