SASS Wire Forum

Crazy Cold Here!

Complicated Lady

I don't like cold weather.

I have been thinking about you guys that live where it's cold ...really cold... often.

How do you stand it???

I need sunshine.... shorts and tank tops....

I guess I'm still a Southern California girl when it comes to this weather.

I don't like cold weather but when we get a little cool like it is now I remember Korea and the winter of '58. I have rolled out a sleeping bag in the snow with the temp at 45 below, That puts things in perspective.

Blackfoot

Ms. Complicated,

I live a little ways south of you & those cold temps are reaching way into south Texas. We've been breaking ice on the water trough & changing out water buckets quite frequently the last few days. Even got the horses blanketed for the nights. That ice storm that hit DFW stopped about 5 miles from our town, so we were quite lucky in that aspect. Sure glad we don't see temps like this very often!!

Hasn't been above freezing here in the hill country for a couple of days, supposed to snow tonight. Know what you mean about breaking ice and hauling water, had a foal born Sat night and trying to keep her warm is taxing at times.

Hasn't been above freezing here in the hill country for a couple of days, supposed to snow tonight. Know what you mean about breaking ice and hauling water, had a foal born Sat night and trying to keep her warm is taxing at times.

Congrats....on tne new baby!!!!!!!! :wub: Lets have a... name the little filly contest. We vote for "Stormy" :excl::P

Y'all stay warm up there!

I don't like cold weather but when we get a little cool like it is now I remember Korea and the winter of '58. I have rolled out a sleeping bag in the snow with the temp at 45 below, That puts things in perspective.

Blackfoot

I had an uncle there. He said one of his problems was breathing on the zipper of his sleeping bag and getting frozen into the bag. He said he was in such a condition when a mortar attack started. He said "Don't let anyone ever tell you you can't run in a sleeping bag."

The cold don't bother me that much (As long as we don't have a pipe freeze, bust and flood the house!), It won't last that long anyway. Before we know it we'll be back in the upper 90's and triple digit weather and hating that. I just enjoy the seasons and the changes.

Now those of you with livestock, I feel for you that don't like it. I remember cutting ice on the ponds and feeding hay out morning and night for the cattle. I guess I am one of the mental ones as I actually enjoyed it and miss being on a farm. Of course we had no problem buying good quality coveralls, work gloves, ski masks, insulated socks and thermal underware to make the cold very tolerable. Shoot, me and my brother would get the Dirt bikes then later Quads out in the snow and play the rest of the day.

I'm with you CL. If I wanted weather like this I'd move to Mintsoda. The cold is one thing, but I sure could have done without the #$%&* ICE! :angry: If I didn't have to drive 15 miles to work it wouldn't be so bad. My normal 30 min. drive has been taking an hour and a half. :huh: Looks like I'll have it again in the morning. Hopefully it will warm up enough to get better tomorrow. Hasn't hit 20 degrees since Monday night.

JHC

CL, I was born and raised in this frosty environment, and even though you get sort of used to it, you never really like it a lot. You just kind of learn to live with it, and know that in about 5-6 months or so, nice weather's a-comin'. I went winter hiking the other day. The temp at 0800 was 4 degrees F, but the sun was out and the wind wasn't blowing so it wasn't too awful bad.

Still can't wait for shorts and t-shirt weather though...

Archived