SASS Wire Forum

Story time

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, what can I say....... I'm a Mean sum' biscuit! :lol:

Grizz got the horses and town law settled into the stock car, the horses were much more comfortable. Sam has seen that the town law didn't have a chance to send a wire and had returned a few minutes after Taft after watching his back trail and planting the story of the town law joining Taft on the manhunt. Sam had joined J Mark in the passenger car directly in front of the stock car. Taft left the town law with Grizz and joined the others.

"Looks like just you and me for a while" Grizz told the town law, "don't be gettin any idears now, we got two sworn lawmen who work with the district judges even down here that will back any play I make, and I seen you let ol' Three fingers loose."

Grizz was glad he'd gone back out for additional supplies, back here in the stock car he wasn't likely to see anything from the dining car unless the others relieved him. Just as well he thought, I got better food here anyway. He took out a tamale and pulled back the corn husk shell and started eating it. "I'm surprised you got such good messican food this far east" Grizz said, not really to anyone in particular.

Pretty good tamales that Grizz had dug up--rare treat this far of the Mississippi. Grizz was in the stock car and I was ridin atop the express car just in front of him. What a glorious night with all the stars shining real bright like. But they really didn't point out a dyed in the wool purpose--maybe that would come. One things for sure is that a good buffler steak sure would fit the ole guzzle right now.

Took Sam a while to light his pipe but finally got it going despite the wind. Musing-- helluva deal this is! We're finally on our way to Cheyenne to extract Grishams head and neither Taft nor Grizz have taken any target practice with those new rifles give to em. Taking for granted a new gun functions reliably is a good way to get dead. Well, maybe there'd be target or two for them to fling some lead at on during the trip. Little did we know!

Sam, been tryin to work in a little target practice, but things just keep happenin too fast!! :D I reckon these Eastern folks wouldn't take to kindly to me taking a few shots out the side when the train stops for water...but hey, that might be fun anyway....

• 2 weeks later...

Grizz made sure the town law was securely tied in the front corner of the car and made himself comfortable on the other side of the horses. It wasn't long before he was fast asleep and was snoring loudly. Taft wandered back in time to find the town law trying to free himself from the ropes and knocked him out cold with the butt of the rifle he was carrying.

While Taft and Grizz took turns keeping an eye on the Marshal, I found that I had a different and slightly more pleasant task.

Several seats ahead, an attractive young lady was the focus of a rather seedy looking drummer's attention. I had made it my mission to see that he stayed clear. I thumbed through a set of wanted posters and found one of a gent that looked a bit like the drummer. I drew in his mustache and added his hat and the likeness was close enough for government work. I moved forward and sat down across from him, easing my colt out and letting it rest sideways across my leg as I spoke.

"I'm Deputy US Marshall J. Mark Flint, I've got a wanted poster, that looks like you Sir. If you have any form of identification, you should produce it slowly and carefully."

Grizz woke up to find Taft helping himself to some tamales, if he'd been sleeping near as soundly as it had appeared, he would have pulled iron being startled by someone going thru his grub bag.

"ya got blood on the butt stock of yer new rifle" Griz said without opening his eyes.

Taft looked down, and sure enough there was blood. "musta hit him harder than I meant to"

"Just as well, one less low life to be eating my tamales"

Taft just grinned and pulled a couple more out of the bag and tossed one to Grizz.

Archived