SASS Wire Forum

Jeremiah Johnson movie

Watched Jeremiah Johnson the other night and noticed something. When he's splashing around the stream for the trout, the Indian siting the horse is holding a double gun. Shotgun and rifle. I'd like to see the whole gun, but all they showed was the end of the barrels.

Anyone know what they used in this picture?

TF

That movie was shot in my back yard, one of my friends was a technical adviser on the black powder guns, I'll see if he remembers

Kinda like this 'un~? :rolleyes:

Cape Gun

Actually, this one is a breechloader from the 1880's... :)

Kinda like this 'un~? :rolleyes:

Cape Gun

Actually, this one is a breechloader from the 1880's... :)

Can't remember but it was a period swivel gun of some sort. The fact that Redford used italian replicas (of what I don't know) near ruined that movie for me. Those rifles resemble a true Hawken only from the standpoint of using blackpowder.

I've seen a lot of dual bore double guns in flint, percussion, and cartridge variations.

The flint and percussion guns came in swivel-breech with a singe lock firing both barrels in turn, and both side-by-side and stacked barrels with two locks. All the cartridge guns I've seen save one had two firing ins and one or two triggers much like modern guns. The one exception was a swivel breech 20 gauge/.30-30 made in Switzerland. When you rotated the barrels the hammer was automatically mover to the half-cock/safety position.

None of them seem to have been very common, but they were used enough that they weren't considered rare.

Ray Taylor, late owner of The Flintlock at Hobby City in Anaheim, built a stack barrel .54 over 12 gauge percussion gun just to see if he could. It handled and shot like a dream if you don't mind a 12 pound gun.

I've seen a lot of dual bore double guns in flint, percussion, and cartridge variations.

The flint and percussion guns came in swivel-breech with a singe lock firing both barrels in turn, and both side-by-side and stacked barrels with two locks. All the cartridge guns I've seen save one had two firing ins and one or two triggers much like modern guns. The one exception was a swivel breech 20 gauge/.30-30 made in Switzerland. When you rotated the barrels the hammer was automatically mover to the half-cock/safety position.

None of them seem to have been very common, but they were used enough that they weren't considered rare.

Ray Taylor, late owner of The Flintlock at Hobby City in Anaheim, built a stack barrel .54 over 12 gauge percussion gun just to see if he could. It handled and shot like a dream if you don't mind a 12 pound gun.

That was were my brain went too... I thought it had to be very heavy.. for sure.. But still I would love to shoot it just for fun of course. I like a lot of percussion guns, but I am pretty much sold on the single action cartridges now for myself, and as what I would like to collect someday.. I need to read more about guns before auctions so I know what I want.. I would help.. lol

Jeremiah Johnson is perhaps my all time favorite movie. While I am learning to appreciate more and more that the correct period guns are used in a movie, it doesn't ruin it for me when they are off by a few years. Now if Del Q had whipped out a Glock, that would have been bad.

The story line, and the humor made me love the movie.. I know it is not how life was back then.. but darn it a western is a western.. aa good one is great.. a bad one is better than nothing.. lol

Here's the one Tom's asking about...

Paints-His-Shirt-Red

That be the one Hardpan. And that's about all the show of the gun in the movie. I have a nack of finding stuff like that in movies. Like the TINY white truck driving down the road below the TETONS as SHANE is riding toward the camera at the begining of SHANE

TF

Some purists on the Wire would argue that neither Jeremiah Johnson nor The Wild Bunch are westerns because they fall outside the 1865-1900 window.

These people are vexations of the spirit. Avoid them at all costs sez I. :lol:

Archived