SASS Wire Forum

Newbie questions about events

SIXTY GRAIN

I live in Santa Fe, NM, and it appears there are some good events in the region. Having never been to one, are there just opportunities to shoot and plink at these events without having to compete against others? I need the practice more than anything before getting into rapid shooting contests.

Can one just bring their guns to these events and just pick others brains for techniques and such? Right now I just go out to my friends property and we shoot my Walkers without trying to focus on technique.

Thanks for the advice in advance.

Sixty Grain

I live in Santa Fe, NM, and it appears there are some good events in the region. Having never been to one, are there just opportunities to shoot and plink at these events without having to compete against others? I need the practice more than anything before getting into rapid shooting contests.

Can one just bring their guns to these events and just pick others brains for techniques and such? Right now I just go out to my friends property and we shoot my Walkers without trying to focus on technique.

Thanks for the advice in advance.

Sixty Grain

Howdy, Sixty Grain

Let me welcome you to shooting CAS in New Mexico. We'd love to have you come down to Edgewood for either Buffalo Range Riders or High Desert Drifter SASS matches, or to the Rio Grande Renegades in Albuquerque's west mesa area.

If you will PM me your email address, I'll send you two immediate invitations. One for a "practice" match this Sunday, and one for a Meet-And-Greet of BRR members and prospective members on Saturday.

We have lots of spare bays which we could let you practice on, at Founders Ranch, during any of our matches. We're down for the winter now, but will probably be able to start up again in April. (Right now, there's 12 inches of snow and below zero temps at the range.) We would like to hear from you before you want to do that, though, so we could arrange for one person to act as a range officer for you IF you don't want to participate in the actual match. We find folks don't want to practice that much once they find out they could just go ahead and shoot in a match that is going on, though.

After matches or during lunch breaks at matches is a great time to gather info and chat with members; we've got several that are state and regional and even national and international champs in categories.

You know, at a SASS match, you can shoot your own pace. If you want to go-fast, you can. If you want to take your time, you can. The awards at the end of the day, if you even stick around for them, are pretty close to the same.

Come join us, it's easier than asking and answering questions over the wire by a long shot.

Good luck, GJ

Hi Sixty,

You do not need to be fast to shoot SASS. All others care about is your safety.

Of course, if you want to be fast, that's fine too. Just don't focus on that and all the nuances necessary to be fast at your first few matches.

Take Joe up on his offer. If you have shooting experience, you will probably want to shoot a match next time out.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Sixty Grain,

All the clubs I frequent would welcome a new shooter like you. Answering any questions as they come up during the match and after the match "walking" you through any or all of the stages.

Can't imagine it being any different where you are. In fact one of my best CAS memories was when I was on vacation very near you and met up at the Magdalena range with a couple of other shooters and having an impromptu match. Making up scenerios as we went and timing with the sweep hand of a wrist watch.

Hope this helps,

Smoke

Thanks for the info - PM was sent. Finding time will be my biggest challenge as I have a 4 year year old at home. In the beginning I'll be lucky to get to a few upcoming events. Most of my practice is getting out of work early on the weekdays.

Just show up at a match near the end, talk to some folks, and ask to shoot a stage after the match is over. I shot in my first match last month. It was my first time shooting a lever action rifle, second time shooting single action pistols, and second time with the double barrel shotgun. I was extremely nervous for the first stage, but I ended up having a great time (didn't finish last either). My wife was scared to jump right in and shoot so she watched the match and shot a stage after it was over. It was a good way for her to "get her feet wet" without the pressure of the match. She is hooked now, and we are both looking forward to the next match.

I currently don't have a rifle nor have shown interest although that may change. I enjoy the pistols a lot. I've got a Colt army, a pair of Walkers, and a 1849 pocket that gives me all the joy at the moment. Once the weather warms up I'll be itching to get out there. Today it's supposed hit -14 at night with us barely above zero during the day - a very unusual cold front.

Some of us shoot but don't compete against the others. :lol:

I too suggest attending a match and shooting a stage off the clock when the possee completes shooting. Another opportunity is registering as a conventioneer for End of Trail and shooting the conventioneer's stage at that match.

I currently don't have a rifle nor have shown interest although that may change. I enjoy the pistols a lot. I've got a Colt army, a pair of Walkers, and a 1849 pocket that gives me all the joy at the moment. Once the weather warms up I'll be itching to get out there. Today it's supposed hit -14 at night with us barely above zero during the day - a very unusual cold front.

Just bring what you have and people will let you borrow whatever else you need to shoot a stage.

Archived