SASS Wire Forum

What price to pay for a 73?

Smithy

I was the guy complaining about the weight of a 73 rifle (or carbine/short rifle/whatever it was) and I went down to the shop to have another look at it and I may have been a bit premature about my 73 rifle assessments. First off, it was a bit on the costly side (1200 bucks). And secondly it was HEAVY! So heavy I knew that I would be much better off with my 92 at a match. But at my second examination, the barrel was 24 inches long and to top that off it had an octagonal barrel adding to the weight issue. So I'm sure that if it had of had a 20" round barrel my opinions would have been much different. Long story short, my local shop has an order in and will be getting an assortment of 73's and 66's in and I was curious as to what I should expect to pay (or should pay) for a plain jane 73 with a 20" round barrel, whatever that would make it; a carbine, a short rifle, or whatever? I would like a case hardened receiver I suppose and would imagine that might increase the cost a bit over a standard blue model. Thanks for any help you 73 aficionados can be. Smithy.

Uberti makes an 18" rifle with a barrel that is "half round, half octagonal". It is noticeably lighter than my (new) 20 inch octagonal.

The 1873 carbine has a 19" round barrel but I think those are all blue finish, no cc on the receiver. Also the front sight is on the barrel band. On the other hand that may be the lightest '73.

I think for a few dollars more you can get a "slicked up " race ready rifle from one of the 73 experts. There are several to choose from, I use "CodyMatics" mostly because he lives here close by, but I'm sure there are 73 smiths out your way..........

Mink...........

Uberti makes an 18" rifle with a barrel that is "half round, half octagonal". It is noticeably lighter than my (new) 20 inch octagonal.

The 1873 carbine has a 19" round barrel but I think those are all blue finish, no cc on the receiver. Also the front sight is on the barrel band. On the other hand that may be the lightest '73.

Right on....the carbine is the lightest period but you will dish out extra cash to get the front sight (and rear on some models) up to speed. The Oct/half round 18 is the next lightest and it has the "rifle" upgrades making it more shooter friendly out of the box. Two of my favorites.

You con pay 1200 and up price depends on type rifle or carbine

pistol grip or strange stock also how much work is dun to it check wire to see what a good one with all bell and whistle are going for :FlagAm::rolleyes:

I paid $945 for a 19" carbine from a local place about a month ago. It had been in their store for awhile, and he said that the price had gone up (from the distributor) since they purchased it. The carbine isn't heavy at all. The sights suck, but I filed the rear notch into a wider V; they still aren't ideal, but I don't do much aiming anyways :) .

Thanks guys for all the input! After reading all you had to say and from other sources, would it be wise to buy my 73 all decked out from Cody Conagher and get one of his Cody-Matic's for (his lightest weight and least expensive) $1,295.00? Now that has action work done on it but I'm not sure if it has a short throw lever as well? Anyone know what makes a Cody-Matic? Smithy.

Considering the exchange rate between the Euro and the Dollar, paying in the neighborhood of $1200 isn't really extreme. You also have to consider the mark-up percentage the dealer wants to tack on. I had to do some serious shopping last year and for a Deluxe Border Rifle I got price quotes of $1150 up to $1400.

Yes as far as the 10 rounds are concerned, Cody Conagher builds that specific gun for SASS so it will digest 10 rounds of anything you will feed into it. After thinking about it, I think that that is the way I should go since there would be nothing else for me to do to it except shoot it. Smithy.

Yes as far as the 10 rounds are concerned, Cody Conagher builds that specific gun for SASS so it will digest 10 rounds of anything you will feed into it. After thinking about it, I think that that is the way I should go since there would be nothing else for me to do to it except shoot it. Smithy.

I am told the 18 inch barreled gun will hold ten in 357 but I am not sure about 45. Longer over all lenght. I would ask Cody to make sure. Keep in mind that the 357 is the typical caliber choice for a SASS go fast gun.

Perhaps you should do a little more investigating...

For instance, Cowboys and Indian Store (a CALIFORNIA SHOP!!!!), builds their "CAS" guns specifically for the game...with well thoughtout and engineered parts specifically designed for the hard life of a CAS rifle. They are turnkey rifles...

And 73's are 73's when it comes to "Digesting" anything...

:FlagAm:

Thanks guys for all the input! After reading all you had to say and from other sources, would it be wise to buy my 73 all decked out from Cody Conagher and get one of his Cody-Matic's for (his lightest weight and least expensive) $1,295.00? Now that has action work done on it but I'm not sure if it has a short throw lever as well? Anyone know what makes a Cody-Matic? Smithy.

I would certainly look at one that had been slicked up by a smith who specializes in CAS guns. By the time you add in the $25-$30 shipping each way for a gun you already have, their knowlege of what works and what isn't really needed and the support they all offer if you have a glitch you are miles ahead. A lot of times they may have what you are looking for ready to go, although with WR coming up that may not be so.

IMHO

Regards

Gateway Kid

Perhaps you should do a little more investigating...

For instance, Cowboys and Indian Store (a CALIFORNIA SHOP!!!!), builds their "CAS" guns specifically for the game...with well thoughtout and engineered parts specifically designed for the hard life of a CAS rifle. They are turnkey rifles...

And 73's are 73's when it comes to "Digesting" anything...

To expand on what Phantom said, Cody is not the only show in town. While he has his very vocal supporters, there are other gunsmiths that do work as good as Cody's, or depending on to whom you listen, better. Phantom is real partial to Cowboys and Indians, I'm real partial to Lassiter's work and have had good experiences with Manatee as well. Colt McAllister is very good, as are Pioneer gunworks and Jimmy Spurs. There are others as well. A bonus for me is that Lassiter lives about 30 minutes away and will stand behind his work forever.

My point is that there is no "best" gunsmith and there is much to be said for patronizing someone local, especially if they are within driving distance.

To expand on what Phantom said, Cody is not the only show in town. While he has his very vocal supporters, there are other gunsmiths that do work as good as Cody's, or depending on to whom you listen, better. Phantom is real partial to Cowboys and Indians, I'm real partial to Lassiter's work and have had good experiences with Manatee as well. Colt McAllister is very good, as are Pioneer gunworks and Jimmy Spurs. There are others as well. A bonus for me is that Lassiter lives about 30 minutes away and will stand behind his work forever.

My point is that there is no "best" gunsmith and there is much to be said for patronizing someone local, especially if they are within driving distance.

Yep!

Support your local gunshop/gunsmith. Jim Bowie is right down in Orange County...and he doesn't bend & weld!!!

I bought my 357 '73 directly from Cody Conagher, worth every penny. Figured by the time I bought the gun and paid shipping both ways it would be about the same price. I did just pick up a used one in 45 colt at a good price and shipped it to Cody. If you find a used one at a good price you may come out a little ahead. The thing to remember is that if you buy directly from one of these smiths they will cull any out of speck guns from the manufacturer. You roll the dice with used ones, sometimes even with new ones. I won't be parting with any of my Marlins, but my go to gun for CAS is the '73. Mi dos centavos.

TR

I had Cody to do a '73 for me ( I already had the gun ) and I'm very happy with it.

Randy

I think you would get used to the weight of an 18 to 20" '73 rifle or carbine, but if weight is an issue, the lightest '73 will be the 16" trapper model (they do hold 10 rounds).

I was just at the Uberti website. The current new 16.125 inch barreled trappers hold 9+1. The 18 inch half octagonal/half round rifles hold 10+1 in both 357 and 45. Does your 16 inch trapper hold 10+1 or do you load one on the clock?

I was just at the Uberti website. The current new 16.125 inch barreled trappers hold 9+1. The 18 inch half octagonal/half round rifles hold 10+1 in both 357 and 45. Does your 16 inch trapper hold 10+1 or do you load one on the clock?

What I currently have is a 20" tube and it holds 10 + 1 of 45 LC. Smithy.

The Cimarron 16" Trapper '66's and '73's hold 10 in the magazine. They have a special spring and hollow magazine end cap. I have the .45LC trapper and it holds 10 rounds with an OAL of 1.58". Perhaps the generic Uberti trapper does not have those special parts, I don't know.

Fellas, read this knowing it was written yesterday before some of this information was shared. I got distracted. :blush:

Actually, the absolute lightest is the trapper at 7.35 lbs. vs the carbine's 7.54 lbs. The trapper is just like the carbine, but with a 16" round barrel instead of a 19" round barrel. Here is Sugah shooting her 66 Trapper. Taylors Firearms (where Cody Conagher rifles come from) lists their 18" octagonal barrel gun as a Trapper, but the rifle I am speaking of comes from Cimarron Firearms. Take a look at their web page and you can see the difference in the 16" Trapper and the 19" carbine.

Neither the carbine or the trapper has CCH. The trapper will hold ten rounds.

Archived