SASS Wire Forum

Wyatt Earp vs. Tombstone

Poppy

I found out at ten that my birthday is on the anniversary of the OK GF. I was hooked.

I suggest reading 'The Earps Talk' (excerps of newspaper and court records of Tombstone and Earps) and Josephine Earp's book.

Tombstone is closer to the actual accounts, but none of the movies tell about the crazy amount of money in and around Tombstone (or any other successful mining town back then).

Oh, another reason I like Tombstone better is because I have a signed (to me) painting by Buck Taylor (Turkey Creek Jack Johnson). I would feel downright disloyal liking the other more!

Overall, Tombstone gets the nod. But I like Wyatt Earp, as well. In both films Doc Holliday stole the film. I liked the Virgil and Morgan better in Wyatt Earp, and also thought Joanna Goings was better AND sexier as Josephine than Dana Delany, who was way to brassy for my liking.

I think when ever I watch one DVD I am just going to watch the other after it!!!

They both are great.

And this Pards is why we belong to SASS isn't it???

"You're a daisy if you do"

KK~!~

Ya, i just couldn't let this one pass.To say that Costner just plays himself i ask you this.What other actor just plays himself??? Answer, "John Wayne" ,of course.But we still love him.Want to see Costner at his best?, watch "Open Range"And if you bought the set, with another Disk with it, shows how they made the movie, and Costner was the Director.Execlent movie and acting all the way.

You see this often, in that two movies with the same theme come out around the same time. One is usually more entertaining than the other, but the one that isn't as entertaining often turns out to be more "correct" or well put together but lacks the overall entertainment.

Deep Impact v/s Armageddon

Saving Private Ryan v/s The Thin Red Line

These Wyatt Earp movies are classic examples. I like both of them. Costner's movie is clear far more accruate to the reality (well, what we think the reality is, anyway) but Tombston I think had much better writing and was overall more entertaining to American audiences.

Overall, Tombstone gets the nod. But I like Wyatt Earp, as well. In both films Doc Holliday stole the film. I liked the Virgil and Morgan better in Wyatt Earp, and also thought Joanna Goings was better AND sexier as Josephine than Dana Delany, who was way to brassy for my liking.

OTOH, Josie was an actress. "Brassy" seems to fit the character better.

I thought Quaid and Kilmer both did a terrific job of playing a sick man with fewer days ahead of him than behind.

One thing about Tombstone that I've noticed, and that no one here seems to have mentioned: During the OK gunfight, Ike ducks into Fly's photo studio and Dana Delany is in there, posing for the "Koloma" picture.

Second trivia point is the "In" joke that is only shone in the extended version: Doc is getting ready to leave on Vengeance Ride, Kate tries to stop him, and he quotes the Frankie Lane song, "Gunfight at the OK Corral": "Have you no kind word to say before I ride away."

You see this often, in that two movies with the same theme come out around the same time. One is usually more entertaining than the other, but the one that isn't as entertaining often turns out to be more "correct" or well put together but lacks the overall entertainment.

Deep Impact v/s Armageddon

Saving Private Ryan v/s The Thin Red Line

These Wyatt Earp movies are classic examples. I like both of them. Costner's movie is clear far more accruate to the reality (well, what we think the reality is, anyway) but Tombston I think had much better writing and was overall more entertaining to American audiences.

Well said! Personally, I have two favorite quotes from Wyatt Earp. One is " Mister, I've been in a really bad mood for the last few years, so I'd appreciate it if you'd just leave me alone."

The other is "Dave Rutabagh* is an ignorant scoundrel! I disapprove of his very existence. I considered ending it myself on several occasions, but... self-control always got the better of me. "

• 6 months later...

I was looking at comparisons between Kilmer's and Quaid's Holidays and decided to see what the SASS thoughts were. This was the closest thread to that question.

So my two-bits (yep, I'm a big spender)

Wyatt Earp - As mentioned originally a mini-series that was changed to a movie to compete with Tombstone

Pros - Best biography of Wyatt Earp ever done, only one that I'm aware of that goes from childhood to Alaska. Quaid as Holiday seems more historically accurate to the Doc Holiday of legend, not sure we can ever know the Doc Holiday of history. He is a emaciated, sickly person who seems to give very little thought to life, his or anyone elses, but takes an instant and for him lifelong liking to Wyatt Earp.

Cons- You can see from the take that Johnny Ringo shooting near the end that much was cut in the interest of turning a mini-series into a movie.

Tombstone - Best work done on the Tombstone era of the Earps, best overall cast, acting, and opinions on clothing not withstanding costuming. Boss of the plains are everywhere in this movie and photos of lawmen during that time show them wearing some version of it bowlers and other non-modern Western hats.

Cons - I don't have any, I love the movie for what it is.

Costner - Although his politics tend to bother and often confuse me, they are really no worse than much of Hollywood's. Despite what you may think of his movies, their plots, acting, politics, and points, who else has been involved in the number of Westerns he has in the last 25 years, (Silverado, Dances with Wolves, Wyatt Earp, and Open Range, it is also rumored he will be featured in Quentin Tarentino's Spagetti Western/Blaxploitation "homage" film Django)? Actors with multiple Western credits besides Costner, with the exception of Tom Selleck, Sam Elliot, Gene Hackman, Wes Studi, Tommy Lee Jones and Robert Duvall, nobody that I can think of.

So now for my question, of Val Kilmer and Dennis Quaid, who portrayed the better Doc Holiday?

While I think it was close, Quaid's emaciated grittier Doc gets my vote, like others I wonder what Tombstone would have been with that Doc.

EARP ..... I'd never seen either Cosner or Quade in anything. So to me they were Earp & Holliday.

Quade as Holliday made the movie great for me. He'd starved himself and lost 40 lbs in order to portray the consumptive Holliday. He did it great. :)

Both movies are "hollywierd" adaptations of history. But that is the movie business. . . .

Who'd go watch a movie titled....

"The Gun Fight in the Vacant Lot, next to Fly's Boarding House, near the back entrance of the OK Corral" ? :wacko:

I found Wyatt Earp somewhat dark and disturbing on a personal level, while good I would be hard pressed to say I found it entertaining.

Tombstone on the other hand I found very entertaning, good dialog good action etc. etc. And who can deny that Val Kilmer is a great actor.

Entertainment is why I watch a movie if I want historical accuracy I will open a History book!

Just MY take

Ned

Costner is a celebrity, not an actor.

Tombstone is twice as entertaining. Kurt Russell is a hoot; he may not be the best actor in the world, but he's got intensity.

It was val Kilmer's last good movie before he threw in the towel and retired to New Mexico.

Isn't that what John Wayne did..All his roles were John Wayne!

Costner is a celebrity, not an actor.

Tombstone is twice as entertaining. Kurt Russell is a hoot; he may not be the best actor in the world, but he's got intensity.

It was val Kilmer's last good movie before he threw in the towel and retired to New Mexico.

Isn't that what John Wayne did..All his roles were John Wayne!

Just saw a Costner movie I really liked...Mr. Brooks

Sorry, I got the feeling I was watching movies and bigger than life characters on both counts. The good part, I love cowboy movies and as a pick, I'll go with Tombstone due to better script writing and acting performances. Russel is one of our most underrated talents in Hollywood while Costner has made a career living off of the DWW success, he is one dimensional but does well enough with a good action plot. I like most of the movies Costner has made, even the bombs, but then I am not in it to write reviews for people with good taste.

I to like Quade also, but guys, Costner would never allow another actor to still his thunder, the way Kilmer stole Russels in Tombstone. Quades part was reduced to little more than that of a side kick in the WE movie with Earp being the more dangerous character, just the opposite of the Tombstone pairing. Most of what I read about Doc Holiday, when we get past the marque bull, indicates he was way out of place and very unhappy with the hand life had dealt him, tragic but not so much angry. Most dangerous encounters ended with him on the losing end and frequently lucky to survive due to his already frail condition. No he was not a killer, just a fellow who ended up killing a guy and never living up to it! I much prefer the Holiday legend, I'm not into personal tragedy stories.

I am a member of Netflix so I don't buy very many movies since I can have a movie sent to me as often as I want for no extra charge. I did however, buy both of them to own. Both were excellent. If I was pushed to pick one it would be Tombstone.

One a side note I really do not like Kevin Costner's politics but I also bought for my dvd library: Open Range and Silverado. I hate spending money on an actor who I don't agree with or maybe I should say, doesn't agree with me. This is probably just me...

CB

I am a member of Netflix so I don't buy very many movies since I can have a movie sent to me as often as I want for no extra charge. I did however, buy both of them to own. Both were excellent. If I was pushed to pick one it would be Tombstone.

One a side note I really do not like Kevin Costner's politics but I also bought for my dvd library: Open Range and Silverado. I hate spending money on an actor who I don't agree with or maybe I should say, doesn't agree with me. This is probably just me...

CB

I fully understand, being 2nd generation Army and a 25 year man myself, I swore off the movies of people I politically opposed. As time has gone by I have found that I have political differences with most of Hollywood, even many that were idols in my childhood. I realized within the last couple of years that if I voted with my wallet, I would be unable to watch most movies. I've pretty much found that if you name a movie, I can find somebody connected to it that I am strongly opposed to politically. It's kind of like forums, if you boycotted every forum that had members with opposing views, you probably would participate in none, even this one.

Tombstone. Enjoy both but if'n I had my druthers, Tombstone wins out.

Big drawback to Wyatt Earp, IMHO, is Kevin Costner. In all his movies he seems to play only one character. And that character is Kevin Costner. If the role fits his persona, e.g. Eliot Ness in the Untouchables, he's not bad Otherwise he's colorless. To paraphrase Dorothy Parker: He runs the gamut of emotions from A to B. Feel free to disagree, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Yeah I agree about playing the same character.Reminds me of Deniro and Jack Nicholson.Both of those two do the same thing.NO different cadence or voice tone....NO different facial expressions...all they do is change the name they use and movie title they're in.

TOMBSTONE

My thoughts on the boycott thing, it would seem almost un-American to boycott someone for holding a different political opinion from myself. Then on the other hand, the left has organized and used the boycott against conservatives with extremely good results for many years. My liberal friends would say that this is proof that they are more dedicated to standing up for a cause while Conservatives will always surrender their belief if it costs them a dollar or a bit of inconvenience! Where is the Colonel when I need an opinion?

PS: Kurt Russel has always been considered in the conservative camp in Hollyweird. And yes ,I own Wyatt Earp and at least several other Costner movies.

I liked both too. Tombstone came out better largely because of the superb ensemble cast. They put a quality actor in every major and minor role and it paid off. Compare the lesser roles of the two movies and the difference is clear. As in anything, excellence is in the details.

Kurt Russell vs Kevin Costner - Both good, but I liked Russell's protrayal a bit more.

Val Kilmer vs Dennis Quaid as Doc - Quaid was more of what the real Doc was probabaly like, yet Kilmer was 'entertaining'

Powers Boothe vs Lewis Smith as Curly Bill - Powers hands down - Yup

Sam Elliott vs Michael Madsen as Virgil - Sam all the way

Michael Biehn in Tombstone was a better Johnny Ringo - Yup

Thomas hayden Church and Stephan lang were better Clantons - Yup

and Dana Delany... nuff said there... she is just so sexy to me - they both had the ability to ....ummm...enhance a subtle arousement ;)

Liked 'em both I reckon - however Tombstone wins out be an edge - Kostner's earp looked silly with that buscadero rig (which wasn;t around during that time period)

GG ~ :FlagAm:

I recently watched them both back to back. Like others have said, Wyatt Earp was more of a biographical movie that detailed the character of Wyatt both shady and what we like to remember. Tombstone was way more "Hollywood" to me with all the yelling and shooting off horseback. It was more entertaining and colorful compared to Wyatt Earp's more moody & dark portrayal. I suspect the Wyatt Earp movie is more realistic in it's character study of Wyatt but the various scenes from Tombstone are more memorable. SOOOoooo..... if I'm into character study I'd give the nod to Wyatt Earp. If I want a colorful shoot 'em up I'd tip my hat to Tombstone. Both were good and I believe had different intentions other that the usual hoping to sell a lot of tickets.

Kurt Russell vs Kevin Costner - Both good, but I liked Russell's protrayal a bit more.

Val Kilmer vs Dennis Quaid as Doc - Quaid was more of what the real Doc was probabaly like, yet Kilmer was 'entertaining'

Powers Boothe vs Lewis Smith as Curly Bill - Powers hands down - Yup

Sam Elliott vs Michael Madsen as Virgil - Sam all the way

Michael Biehn in Tombstone was a better Johnny Ringo - Yup

Thomas hayden Church and Stephan lang were better Clantons - Yup

and Dana Delany... nuff said there... she is just so sexy to me - they both had the ability to ....ummm...enhance a subtle arousement ;)

Liked 'em both I reckon - however Tombstone wins out be an edge - Kostner's earp looked silly with that buscadero rig (which wasn;t around during that time period)

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Yep. Throw in Charleton Heston, Harry Carry Jr, Jason Priestly, Buck Taylor, and the voice of Robert Mitchum all on Tombstone. Give the movie an "A" for authenticity in clothing and gear (I'd give W.E. a C-) and Tombstone comes out a better movie in so many ways.

Archived