SASS Wire Forum

? Things to do see San Antoino

Do the mission tour of the other missions in and around San Antonio. They give a much better idea of what things were like way back when than the Alamo itself. Go up to New Braunfels, or the hill country. Tons of stuff to do in and around San Antonio.

A couple of other places to check out are:

Buckhorn Saloon/Museum. This is a stones throw from the Alamo. They have a very eclectic mix of things to see. A lot of old West items.

Guenther House for Breakfast. This is the location of Pioneer Flour Company. Breakfast is good and reasonably priced.

Enjoy

Traveller

:FlagAm: Buckhorn also now has a Texas Rangers Museum attached. Additional fee but interesting. Downtown also is the Spanish Governor's Palace.

( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_Governor's_Palace )

Finally, annual San Antonio Stock Show and Rodeo is Feb 3rd to 20th. http://www.sarodeo.com/

SaukValley Sam

Going to be there on business and pleasure Feb 17--20. Any ideas of nearby places, or local things to do / see? Will have a rental car so short drives are ok.

Thanks

Doc here are the things we saw in '09.

http://wartracecowboys.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2009-03-01T00%3A00%3A00-06%3A00&updated-max=2009-04-01T00%3A00%3A00-05%3A00&max-results=7

Randy

Consider a drive to Bandera, about 60 miles. ( Cowboy Capitol of Texas). Get on the side roads ,you will get a good flavor of the "Hill Country".

if you've got the ladies with you blast up to Fredricksberg. If you go stop at Texas Jacks, ( Guns and cloths). You get a 10% discount because you are SASS and they will proabably have sales this time of year. Then you could take side roads thru Bandera and on into SA.

Caprock

The name escapes me but there is a hotel almost next door to the Alamo that I was told was the place where the "movers and shakers" met in Texas. We walked through and saw tons of historical artifacts. There was a neat display of uniforms and equipment from the Spanish American War. Enough to make you exclaim, "Bully!". Only not too loud, people might stare.

Guest Hoss Carpenter, SASS Life 7843

Take a drive to Fredericksburg; eat some German chow; drink some German beer; go to the Museun of the Pacific (WW2) and go to Texas Jacks and buy guns, clothes, anything for CAS!

Hoss

you are in the hot bed of the MS 13 gang watch your back I well not go to thatt hot bed for that reason

Joe Boy

Really??!! Been here all my life and worry about a lot of things, MS 13 is not one of them. Every large city will have it's issues but I spend time downtown, at the Riverwalk, and other places and don't stress out. I'll take SA over other large Texas cities. My 2 cents!

Consider a drive to Bandera, about 60 miles. ( Cowboy Capitol of Texas). Get on the side roads ,you will get a good flavor of the "Hill Country".

if you've got the ladies with you blast up to Fredricksberg. If you go stop at Cactus Jacks, ( Guns and cloths). You get a 10% discount because you are SASS and they will proabably have sales this time of year. Then you could take side roads thru Bandera and on into SA.

Caprock

I believe you mean "Texas Jacks" instead of "Cactus Jacks".

Not that I'm worried, but what the heck is MS 13 ?

Really nasty Latino gang. El Salvadoran, as I recall.

All of the above plus check out Mi Tierra in the Market District for Mexican food. Budros (sp?) for steak. ++ for the Buckhorn (great museums).

Also, take a boat ride on the river walk.

--Ranger Dave

Having just got back from a business trip there last week, I can say you have to see the Alamo. Enjoyed the Buckhorn Museum, never been to a museum where they encourage you to take a cold beer with you thru the museum, was a new experience for me!

We have visited SA three times. The pawn and antique shops downtown are where I have always gone first. I collect old police insignia and have found good pieces every time. One great one was an original 1940's Mexico Secret Service clip on breast badge. Old US badges, holsters & other cowboy type things are always there. We park in one place and just walk around, parking can be a pain. The Riverwalk is always a good visit as well.

Cherokee Slim

We have visited SA three times. The pawn and antique shops downtown are where I have always gone first. I collect old police insignia and have found good pieces every time. One great one was an original 1940's Mexico Secret Service clip on breast badge. Old US badges, holsters & other cowboy type things are always there. We park in one place and just walk around, parking can be a pain. The Riverwalk is always a good visit as well.

Cherokee Slim

Just be prepared for the traffic and the worst drivers in the Great State of Texas, avoid commute times, other than that, its the greatest city, by far.

Just be prepared for the traffic and the worst drivers in the Great State of Texas, avoid commute times, other than that, its the greatest city, by far.

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: Bad drivers relative. Dallas traffic much faster and drivers distracted, Houston traffic heavier (one rush hour - all day) and roads deteriorating , and Austin drivers go faster as the weather gets worse because they all drive 4WD Suburbans. San Antonio rush hours shorter, city has IH 10,35 and 37 along with IH 410 loop and 1604 loop. If you flow with traffic usually traffic moves well. Semis headed north on IH 35 can cause congestion but there are several ways to get around traffic if you are familiar with city. Not so for Houston and Austin. For the nation's 10th largest city (really) traffic is a long way from worst.

SaukValley Sam

San Antonio, so much to see so little time. In addition to visiting the Alamo may I suggest you venture just to the other side of the San Antonio river (river walk) accross from the Alamo to San Fernando Cathedral. Built in 1731 it is the oldest standing structure in Texas. Santa Anna positioned his army in the vicinity of the Cathedral and flew the flag of no quarter from its tower. The remains of the Alamo defenders are in a marble coffin just inside the entrance to the cathedral. By visiting both the Alamo and the cathedral it will give you a sense of how close the Mexican army was positioned. One can only imagine the thoughts of the Alamo defenders as they watched and listened to the activities of the thousands of Mexican troops, horses, and equipment at such close quarters.

wiley

Archived