SASS Wire Forum

Taurus Thunderbolts

shenny

Has anyone got, shot or seen a M38 (38 Special) Thunderbolt? Deadeye Dallas is about the rework my M45 Thunderbolt, so, yes I know about his work.

Has anyone cut the barrel from 26" to 20"?

I'm just full of questions today.

Thanks,

Shenny

I cut the barrel on my .45 Thunderbolt from 26 to 20 inches. If you do this you have to cut the muzzle end of the magazine since the breech end is critical to the feeding. Also, don't cut off the magazine spring. You need the extra spring tension to feed properly if you are going to shoot fast.

The slot for the magazine hanger is not a true dovetail either. The hanger goes into the slot and is turned 90 degrees to lock it in position. Look at it carefully before you start.

Regarding the .38 SPL Thunderbolt, I bought one two years ago, about when the .38's first came out, and despite the problems reported on the .45LC models. I should have listened to the detractors. Spent more than a few bucks trying to get it to run without jamming and smooth out the action, all to no avail. After about six months of frustration, I finally gave up and sold it. Too bad, as I always thought it was a very attractive gun in the high polished stainless steel. But, just too expensive for a good looking wallhanger.

I wish there had been someone back then with the knowledge and technology to make these things run, but at that time, none of the top gunsmiths would touch the Taurus. Things are different now, so good luck with your project.

Kid Latham

Regarding the .38 SPL Thunderbolt, I bought one two years ago, about when the .38's first came out, and despite the problems reported on the .45LC models. I should have listened to the detractors. Spent more than a few bucks trying to get it to run without jamming and smooth out the action, all to no avail. After about six months of frustration, I finally gave up and sold it. Too bad, as I always thought it was a very attractive gun in the high polished stainless steel. But, just too expensive for a good looking wallhanger.

I wish there had been someone back then with the knowledge and technology to make these things run, but at that time, none of the top gunsmiths would touch the Taurus. Things are different now, so good luck with your project.

Kid Latham

I saw the articles on the down side also and refused to buy one. Then after seeing the youtube videos of what Deadeye Dallas has done, I got one this past weekend and it will be sent in the next few days to him.

shenny

Archived