SASS Wire Forum

THUNDER VALLEY Black Powder Match

WEEDY SASS#653

We braved another Thunder Valley Black Powder match this past Sunday at the RR Bar range.

I want to say Thanks to the RR Bar for being such Great Hosts and Also Cliff Hanger for the terrible stages ;) You Keep writing them and we'll keep shooting them. And Rowdy Yates for being the foundation for our madness. I don't think I've had so much fun in quite awhile.

Got to try out my new to me 1876 Winchester (Uberti) in 50-95. After the first stage with a little help from my Pards spotting, one minor adjustment of the sight and "The Rifle" never missed another shot, but I rushed a few and missed I think twice.

The weather was cool with a breeze, really quite pleasant. And the range as always was wonderful. If you ever have the chance to shoot there GRAB IT you'll be ever so surprised. And if you enjoy echos, the mountain "Talks" all day during this match!!

One other thing is I got to stoke on the clock my 87'(Thanks Ivory for the inspiration) I got seven in it and what a blast to go after 8 knockdowns and be able to just lever through the first 7. My thumb does regret my doing so though, there's some sharp parts down in there somewhere!!

Anyway, Look forward to the next one Guys!!

weedy

Rowdy Yates is the Foundation of Our Madness?

Wow, that's saying quite a bit.

We are pretty crazy.... :)

+1 to the gratitude due the RR Bar Club for putting on a match that is different and fun.

We braved another Thunder Valley Black Powder match this past Sunday at the RR Bar range.

I want to say Thanks to the RR Bar for being such Great Hosts and Also Cliff Hanger for the terrible stages ;) You Keep writing them and we'll keep shooting them. And Rowdy Yates for being the foundation for our madness. I don't think I've had so much fun in quite awhile.

Got to try out my new to me 1876 Winchester (Uberti) in 50-95. After the first stage with a little help from my Pards spotting, one minor adjustment of the sight and "The Rifle" never missed another shot, but I rushed a few and missed I think twice.

The weather was cool with a breeze, really quite pleasant. And the range as always was wonderful. If you ever have the chance to shoot there GRAB IT you'll be ever so surprised. And if you enjoy echos, the mountain "Talks" all day during this match!!

One other thing is I got to stoke on the clock my 87'(Thanks Ivory for the inspiration) I got seven in it and what a blast to go after 8 knockdowns and be able to just lever through the first 7. My thumb does regret my doing so though, there's some sharp parts down in there somewhere!!

Anyway, Look forward to the next one Guys!!

weedy

Well said Weedy.

I had a blast, Dammit!

I look forward to next year.

Thank you all!

Hi Ho Booger Away!

I had a blast, Dammit!

I'll second what my pard Weedy wrote

and add

To any and all that have never shot a "Cliff Hanger" Match

you are missing a real treat. I swear that man is evil ;):)

I'll be back next year - and any other special Cliff Hanger matches

that he may throw together.

Thanks again to RR Regulators for letting us play in their town

Coffee

Thunder Valley sure was fun! Great weather and some great shooters!

Here are some pictures from the shoot. If you are in one of these and want the full sized file for printing etc. let me know.

Now Coffee, be careful what you ask for! You could get Cliff Hanger all interested in the idea of another shoot! I bet he could be talked into an all shotgun shoot! But after Thunder Valley I'm going to ask for a NO SHOTGUN shoot!

How about an all rifle shoot? Or a rifle/pistol shoot?

Let's have some more fun!

Well.. from a chick's perspective... I should have bought a case of shotgun shells and a electric blanket.. lol.. Would I go back, uh yeah.. would I trust Weedy's spare shells again.. yep... it was a total riot.. I had so much fun I hardley felt the wind and cold for all the laughing.. 16 shotguns in one stage was a lot, but I would not change a thing about that shoot... except I would like more people next year???? lol... thanks ya'll for letting me shoot like a girl ... deja vous

Here are some pictures from the shoot. If you are in one of these and want the full sized file for printing etc. let me know.

Now Coffee, be careful what you ask for! You could get Cliff Hanger all interested in the idea of another shoot! I bet he could be talked into an all shotgun shoot! But after Thunder Valley I'm going to ask for a NO SHOTGUN shoot!

Great photos of everyone.. thanks so much for that..

Well.. from a chick's perspective... I should have bought a case of shotgun shells and a electric blanket.. lol.. Would I go back, uh yeah.. would I trust Weedy's spare shells again.. yep... it was a total riot.. I had so much fun I hardley felt the wind and cold for all the laughing.. 16 shotguns in one stage was a lot, but I would not change a thing about that shoot... except I would like more people next year???? lol... thanks ya'll for letting me shoot like a girl ... deja vous

Now I know what to expect if I double dip MY shotgun rounds!!!

A bit of pop....

The 7 shots out f the 1887 was just too cool!

I will never miss this shoot, it has too many really neat things about it. I am a bit worried tho if Cliffhanger moves ta Arizona due to the ammo laws...

JJJ-D

:ph34r: :ph34r:

Great pics Professor!

Thanks Dammit!

A bit of pop....

I will never miss this shoot, it has too many really neat things about it. I am a bit worried tho if Cliffhanger moves ta Arizona due to the ammo laws...

JJJ-D

Don't get any ideas.. lol... I really don't need to get jet lag from shooting double dippers.. lol Seriously.. Weedy, you are the best!! Thanks so much, I had so much fun killing targets.. lol

A bit of pop....

JJJ-D

Cliffs cant leave us, we are far too much fun here in Ca... Besides who else would put up with his stages? The man is creative, a pure genius is the truth.. lol

JJJ, My shotshells arn't double dipped, they're just FULL. Glad you and Deja could enjoy them :blink:

Well, I admit I played the weak girl and gave JJJ's most of them.. lol Thanks Weedys. they were fun and it was funny... It has been a long time since I blasted one off with some powder in it.. lol

I thought I heard some small explosions coming from the direction of the other posse. I just figured it was "Big Momma" the infamous 10 gauge that Sacramento Johnson sometimes brings out. Maybe it was Weedy's full shells?

Deja, sorry I didn't get to meet you, again, this is the second time we have been in the same spot, but every time I think to introduce myself you are surrounded by admirers and I can't get close enough to you to say hi!

Howdy all, I meant to post a little sooner but that thing that supports my hobbies and family (work) sent me out to remote sites for the next three weeks.

It was indeed a fun shoot! Next year we will be adding a pocket pistol and Derringer side match for those of you that are interested. As long as you are cleaning BP out of 5 or 6 guns, whats a couple of more?

I hope that I have finally cured myself of trying to shoot 2 categories. :P The last match I shot was Thunder Valley 2010 and after a full years rest I still managed to collect more procedurals in one day than I have in my entire CAS career! I am thinking of shooting Plainsman next year, although the Josey Wales category also looks like a hoot!

I had the honor of shooting with Posse 2 which had some of my old friends (maybe I should say long time friends) on it as well as some new friends that I met that day. One young man that I would like to mention came with his father (Georgia Reb) and brother (American Wolf) but did not shoot the match. This young man is named Sean and I think his dad said he is 10 years old. Sean worked hard performing posse duties all day, mostly collecting brass. He was a great asset to Posse 2 and I look forward to seeing him back out on the range shooting in the Buckaroo category soon.

The other in-famous cast of ne'r do wells on Posse 2 included: Cliff Hanger, Big Dave, Professor Bullspit, White(who bought out a black powder gun store!)Lightnin', Rowdy(Cattle Baron)Yates, Majyk, Slim, Curlee Scott, Harvey Mushman, Buckhorn Bud and his bride Ball N. Chain and rounding out the posse was yours truly.

I guess I should mention Posse 1 who was lead into this frackus by their Posse Marshal Ransome Hawk. Ransome quickly deputized some of the seediest dudes and dudettes to have ever straddled a horse. :lol: Tuolumne Tweed was the first to scrawl his "X" on the talley book followed by Marshal Phil DeGrave, Little Joe Knotright, Capt. Lewis, Coffee, Ivory Jack, M.C. Ryder, Weedy, Professor Cubby Bear, Cerroboro Kid, Innocent Bystander, Sacramento Johnson, Jittery Jim Jonah, and Deja Vous.

Ethan,

I have a hard time recognizing you. Your hair or beard or mustache is different every time I see you. It was a fun shoot, VERY challenging mentally. I like a fun/good challenge. I shot Josey Wales, used my Walkers and my 87, both of which I don't do very often, but using them on the same stages was pretty darn fun.

Sacramento Johnson and her Hubby? were shootin the 10 gauge sxs. Then things are ginormous! The fricken ground was moving when they pulled them triggers. I got to shoot with a bunch of "Long Times Pards" and got to meet a few new Pards too. Good Times.

I will be back to shoot this one again. Cliffhanger, next time bud, turn up the thermostat.

I have been busy since the match. I finally got my guns cleaned and my kitchen sink back to being usable. I think it was originally gray...????

Well, I see there's some interest in another match... Yes...No ?

Those who know me, know I only need a little input to turn it in to a match of some kind.

I have been looking at my calendar. I see some possible dates.

Just how fast can everyone recover from Thunder Valley?

There's a 5th Sunday in May. Also July.

And then again in January 2012. Looks like Thunder Valley again.

What kind of match would everyone like to see.

Thunder Valley type.

All Shotgun.

Shotgun and a pistol.

Various Side matches. I'm thinking stages with one or two guns. Each stage different gun combinations. It doesn't have to be an all Black Powder Match. We can invite our friends who haven't seen the light of BP.

It's up to those who come to these matches. I can be persuaded to put a match together. Just remember I don't do normal SASS matches. We already have plenty of those to choose from and I don't have to do the planning and work.

I do appreciate those who come out the day before to help set up. If they didn't, I don't think I could do this any more. Some how I go old ....

---------------

A few TV photos. http://www.brimstonepistoleros.com/gazette/feb11.html

Yep, I'll be back

I want to shoot with Prof Fuller Bullspit

I want to be in the "Sick Puppy" Catagory

Main Match and Rifle Caliber rifles on the same stage, same catagory.

Stoaked 87 or 97 staged clean up with a double

End of May is the Cowboys Mill Creek Match.

July looks open

I suggest that you keep this match quiet

otherwise they will all want to play

Coffee

Yep, I'll be back

I want to shoot with Prof Fuller Bullspit

I want to be in the "Sick Puppy" Catagory

Main Match and Rifle Caliber rifles on the same stage, same catagory.

Stoaked 87 or 97 staged clean up with a doubleEnd of May is the Cowboys Mill Creek Match.

July looks open

I suggest that you keep this match quiet

otherwise they will all want to play

Coffee

I'm with my pard Coffee on this.

And I know it gobbled alot of time, but stoking my 87 and blasting away at those targets was a blast!!

Cliff, You KNOW I'll be back!!

I thought I heard some small explosions coming from the direction of the other posse. I just figured it was "Big Momma" the infamous 10 gauge that Sacramento Johnson sometimes brings out. Maybe it was Weedy's full shells?

Deja, sorry I didn't get to meet you, again, this is the second time we have been in the same spot, but every time I think to introduce myself you are surrounded by admirers and I can't get close enough to you to say hi!

Prof... I am not surrounded by admirers, I am trying to surround myself with the best people I have ever met here in sunny CA at SASS events... I chase them.. lol.. I love them all.. and ya, just walk up and tell me who you are, or I will find you next time.. lol... Weedys shells were something else.. lol... Loved the day, the people, the food, and the darn thing...

I have been busy since the match. I finally got my guns cleaned and my kitchen sink back to being usable. I think it was originally gray...????

Well, I see there's some interest in another match... Yes...No ?

Those who know me, know I only need a little input to turn it in to a match of some kind.

I have been looking at my calendar. I see some possible dates.

Just how fast can everyone recover from Thunder Valley?

There's a 5th Sunday in May. Also July.

And then again in January 2012. Looks like Thunder Valley again.

What kind of match would everyone like to see.

Thunder Valley type.

All Shotgun.

Shotgun and a pistol.

Various Side matches. I'm thinking stages with one or two guns. Each stage different gun combinations. It doesn't have to be an all Black Powder Match. We can invite our friends who haven't seen the light of BP.

It's up to those who come to these matches. I can be persuaded to put a match together. Just remember I don't do normal SASS matches. We already have plenty of those to choose from and I don't have to do the planning and work.

I do appreciate those who come out the day before to help set up. If they didn't, I don't think I could do this any more. Some how I go old ....

---------------

A few TV photos. http://www.brimstonepistoleros.com/gazette/feb11.html

Cliffhangers I should be rested up by then.. my sides still hurt from laughing.. lol I have never seen a shoot like that one.. it was about just finishing it standing up.. lol... Very cool... I loved it.. thanks so much for all you do...

Marshal Phil- Thanks for noticing when I change my hair! I just hate it when no one notices! :D

Cliff- If you are going to pick July 31st I will come out the day before and help set up. I will also head up some sort of side event.

Cliff, this is the most important part, add me to the Professors Sick Puppy Posse! An all rifle event sounds like a great challenge and I am leaning towards Main Match pistol caliber and Single Shot rifles.

Something to think about......

The Prof Fuller Bullspit "Sick Puppy Match" or "Sick Puppy Category" ???

Stage set up to use only a match rifle and rifle caliber rifle. two categories. Lever & single shot.

Stage set up to use only shotgun and match rifle. maybe three categories...pump & lever & double.

Stage set up to use only shotgun & rifle caliber rifle. two categories...Lever & single shot.

Stage set up to use only shotguns. Three categories...Pump...Lever...and a double.

Stage set up to use match rifle only... one category

Stage set up to use shotgun, match rifle and rifle caliber. Categories ????

Basically making stage is it's own match.

I think I can make it so you can pick two maybe even three categories on a stage. Stages that are interesting but require no resetting or very little.

I have just started thinking on this.

Give me some time and keep adding your suggestions.

I think I can put together a PFB "Sick Puppy Match".

I'll look at July and check the range schedule.

We have options. I can also look in to some 3rd Sundays.

We have in the past shared the range with the action pistol group.

Those of you that really know me, know you shouldn't get me thinking about Specialty Matches.

Stage set up to use only a match rifle and rifle caliber rifle. two categories. Lever & single shot.

Stage set up to use only shotgun and match rifle. maybe three categories...pump & lever & double.

Stage set up to use only shotgun & rifle caliber rifle. two categories...Lever & single shot.

Stage set up to use only shotguns. Three categories...Pump...Lever...and a double.

I think I can make it so you can pick two maybe even three categories on a stage. Stages that are interesting but require no resetting or very little.

Those of you that really know me, know you shouldn't get me thinking about Specialty Matches.

Oh gosh a Specialty match.. is that like a beauty contest.. lol.. Can I bring guns?? lol

Wow,

Great picture taking Professor!

Ethan

Prof... I am not surrounded by admirers, I am trying to surround myself with the best people I have ever met here in sunny CA at SASS events... I chase them.. lol.. I love them all.. and ya, just walk up and tell me who you are, or I will find you next time.. lol... Weedys shells were something else.. lol... Loved the day, the people, the food, and the darn thing...

So that is the secret to having admirers, chase them! I'll be sure to find a way to introduce myself next time, even if I have to distract the admirers with free beer and chicken!

Wow! That would be an undertaking. We would have to have separate stage instructions for each potential category or the stage description! Could work!

Prof. Maybe this will help.

Read Stage Set up as a single stage not combined with the other stage set up. Limited categories per stage.

I need to look through the guns required then select specific combinations.

Woke up this morning thinking we might use the some of the east end of the range.

Targets could be places farther out on some of those bays and farther apart making it more like a hunt in the rocks.

For those that aren't aware "Chimney Rock" was the last place in southern California to have a real fight with the indians. You can read the story here.

Prof. Maybe this will help.

Read Stage Set up as a single stage not combined with the other stage set up. Limited categories per stage.

I need to look through the guns required then select specific combinations.

Woke up this morning thinking we might use the some of the east end of the range.

Targets could be places farther out on some of those bays and farther apart making it more like a hunt in the rocks.

For those that aren't aware "Chimney Rock" was the last place in southern California to have a real fight with the indians. You can read the story here.

Now I think I have it.

One stage would be a two rifle stage.

The next stage might be a two shotgun stage.

Etc.

Lots of guns in the gun cart!

All long guns. No hand guns.

Thinking you could shoot as many categories per stage as you want or choose not to shoot a given stage at all.

All scores would be per category per stage.

Saturday, I am going to start a stage tree (sort of an outline) to see if and how I can make it work.

If I can make sense of it, I will post sample stages to see what everyone thinks and get more ideas.

---------------

You might think scoring would be a mess. Probably.

I'm thinking scoring clipboard per stage with all the categories separated on individual sheets.

Each sheet scored by itself.

Individual score cards for the shooters to keep.

---------------

I'll do some more thinking on this today.

I have 600 shotgun rounds to load this afternoon.

No telling what thoughts will come up.

---------------

Anyone with suggestions on this can share them here.

There are people out there that would rather I didn't write stages or put on matches.

Can you imagine that!

Don't forget to invite my friend Howdy Doody!

He will have his own "Sick Puppet" category! :lol:

Don't forget to invite my friend Howdy Doody!

He will have his own "Sick Puppet" category! :lol:

Now that is funny!

Cliff Hanger, careful loading that many shotgun rounds. It might give you ideas that our shoulders can't stand!

I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

Archived