SASS Wire Forum

Pocket Pistol.

Irish Tom

Where can I buy loaded black powder ammo? I need some 38 S&W

Thanks.

Irish Tom.

Find a pard who cranks out such ammo for his own pocket pistol. Lead bullet .38 S&W (short) with BP is not usually available commercially. Loading it requires a .360 diameter slug, rather than the more standard .358, for best accuracy. I cast a 140 grain RNFP and lube it with SPG, sizing to 360, myself.

Good luck, GJ

Irish Tom,

I went thru this search when I purchased my first pocket pistol. To my knowledge, there is no commercial manufacturer currently making .38 S&W black powder loads. Buffalo Arms does not even carry .38 S&W ammo. There are a number of manufacturers that make smokeless loads in .38S&W. I settled on the Magtech .38SWA which uses a 146gr RNL, and Magtech advised me that these are loaded down to the pressures recommended for the old revolvers.

Assuming your's is an older pistol, be sure to have it checked out by a qualified gunsmith before firing modern ammo. Even tho the Magtech is loaded to the old standards, some models of the old pistols just won't safely handle shooting.

Good luck,

Kid Latham

Go to Ten-X Ammo!

TEN-X

:FlagAm:

TenX normally loads smokeless for .38 S&W. Do you know if they will load BP subs, which is what the OP may be able to use?

Good luck, GJ

Irish Tom,

I went thru this search when I purchased my first pocket pistol. To my knowledge, there is no commercial manufacturer currently making .38 S&W black powder loads. Buffalo Arms does not even carry .38 S&W ammo. There are a number of manufacturers that make smokeless loads in .38S&W. I settled on the Magtech .38SWA which uses a 146gr RNL, and Magtech advised me that these are loaded down to the pressures recommended for the old revolvers.

Assuming your's is an older pistol, be sure to have it checked out by a qualified gunsmith before firing modern ammo. Even tho the Magtech is loaded to the old standards, some models of the old pistols just won't safely handle shooting.

Good luck,

Kid Latham

Kid.

I appreciate the info and advice. The pistol is a H&R "American Double Action" Although the gun appears to be be in very good condition, it is a first model and a first variation, Made between 1884 and 1887. I may be foolish to even think of shooting it even with black powder loads, but the gun is in such good condition. I have never loaded black powder cartridges, but I guess it's time I learn.

I load .38 S&W with 125gr TC bullets sized at .358", the same bullets as used for my son's main match guns. I use the Bullseye load from the reloading tables of M.D. Smith specified for breaktop revolvers and a 121gr bullet. They shoot straight, don't tumble despite being undersized for that caliber and are very light loads, about 560fps per the table. Over the years I have fired thousands of these loads through my second model New Departure ("lemonsqueezer") and second model single action Smith and Wessons. I have seen many people on the Wire report adequate side match performance with .358" diameter bullets.

Archived