SASS Wire Forum

black powder pistols

hey galloway

If you want more than a pound or two its best to order it on-line from Powder Inc., the Maine Powder House etc. Ubertis typically work better with .454 balls. If you are serious about shooting in competition get Treso nipples and Remington #10 caps and save yourself a lot of grief trying to get a combo that works with the stock nipples.

Larsen

How long will the original nipples last? Being your basic cheapskate, I really don't want to throw away brand new nipples, but if they will screw up with in 2 - 4 matches or maybe even the first one, I can overcome my usual penurious nature.

Hey Galloway:

+1 to what Larsen said.

I usually mail order my nips from the possible shop

Possible Shop

You need a good nipple wrench.

I recommend the one with the built-in wire for clearing the nipple hole (#53-1260).

I agree with buying powder in bulk.

Get together with a couple of pards & split 25 pounds.

Dash Caliber, Springfield Slim, & Parson Delacroix all cast up 454 round balls.

They are all on the SassWire--Do a pard search.

For Ubertis you'll want 454s.

Cap. Blodgett:

It's not that they don't last.

It's that they provide inconsistent ignition.

VERY frustrating to have this happen duing a stage.

Tresos & Rem #10 caps do away with ignition problems.

Don't throw 'em away--sell 'em on Ebay to finance part of the Treso purchase.

--Dawg

Hey, Hey

Try this guy. Can't be over 20 miles from you. He's really pretty good and has whatever you need for powder, and he's really reasonable. Probably only charge double if you tell him I sent you :P I have found that Hornadys swaged balls are expensive, but really work well. Because they're expensive, I use whatever cast balls I can find in soft lead. Caps need to fit snugly or they'll fall off after the first round. If you're coming to the Milan match in March, bring what you've got & we'll talk. Montana slim usually stops by, he's a wealth of knowledge. The ball diameter should be enough to shave lead when you seat them.

Are these 58 Remies, or a Colt style?

CR

Crater Fireworks

Jon Blackert

P.O. Box 44

Mineral, IL 61344

815-542-6287 or 309-945-BOOM (2666)

E-mail: jonblackert@frontiernet.net

Although .454" is recommended, and .457" in ROA's, I use .451" in 5 different .44's and .454" in 7 different ROA's with excellent results.

Remington #10 caps are your best friend. Oh, and Treso nipples too. :)

If your gun is set up properly the hammer won't actually impact the nipple.

BUT Treso nipples will give much better ignition over the stock Ubertis. Take off the stock nipples and keep them for spares.

Fine some pards to come in on a case of BP from Maine Powder House or somewhere. The price is much better.

Larsen

How long will the original nipples last? Being your basic cheapskate, I really don't want to throw away brand new nipples, but if they will screw up with in 2 - 4 matches or maybe even the first one, I can overcome my usual penurious nature.

It's not a matter of "lasting." It's a matter of reliable ignition. If you don't mind having misfires, caps falling off, and cap jams then the original nipples are fine. I have found Uberti nipples to be nowhere as consistent in size as Tressos. Also, the factory nipples have large flash holes and this tends to cause more cap fragments to blow off the nipples and jam the gun. Someone will get on here and say they shoot the stock nipples and Bosnian War surplus caps. You don't see those people in the winner's circle.

Although .454" is recommended, and .457" in ROA's, I use .451" in 5 different .44's and .454" in 7 different ROA's with excellent results.

Remington #10 caps are your best friend. Oh, and Treso nipples too. :)

My Pietta Remies shoot tighter groups with .451 balls than .454 diameter. I was surprised.

CR

My Pietta Remies shoot tighter groups with .451 balls than .454 diameter. I was surprised.

CR

Rick . . . that is very interesting. My first Pietta Remington leaded so badly with .451 balls that it was missing the back board by the 12 shot thru it. With .457 balls it shot good. With Hollow Base connical bullets it shot FANTASTIC. I've been shooting .457s in all my many Remingtons ever since.

Not sure if the 454 balls shot any better in my Uberti 1860s or the Piettas I used to have but the fact the 451s would sometimes pull out of the chamber on the ram caused me concern. Hate to have one shoot loose, come forward and tie up the gun or possibly fall out so its 454 for me. Also watch alloy on the balls, pretty much you dont need alloy you want dead soft. I have seen commercial round ball cast from the same alloy as the mfg is making hard cast bullets from. Getting these to shave the ring or swedge into the chambers is a real PITA. If I had a 6 cavity mold for 454 ball I'd still be making my own but with a 2 cavity mold I've left it to a friend.

Again my experience mirrors Larsen's and Dawg's in that remmie #10 on Treso nipples are the way to go for reliable ignition and function. I did not have Tresos on the Piettas and used to wear gloves when I shot them to negate the cap fragments being blasted into my hands. THe flash holes on both of the mfgs nipples were way to big resulting in fragments or blowoffs. On the Ubertis failures can be attributed to me not the guns, eg not seating caps fully or not checking to make sure there are no fragments floating around getting in the way. I've not shot any guns with the Manhattan mod but its an option as well I guess.

Powder is best ordered in bulk, split a case with a friend if need be but heres another vote for Maine Powder House and specifically the Schutzen 2f they carry. Another suggestion is to tailor the load to the gun so they shoot point of aim. The "std" charge for the 1860 shot way high in my guns so I shot different charges till they were POI then trimmed the spout to throw that weight.

IIRC Larsen has had a couple of articles in the Chronicle about tuning these guns but think everyone who shoots cap and ball would remind you NOT to replace the main spring with a super duper light weight meant for a SAA etc. Sure it will feel nice but it probably wont go bang everytime and that screws up your score quick. Smooth is good and as far as Im concerned getting a consistent bbl/cylinder gap and reliable ingnition is more important.

Rick . . . that is very interesting. My first Pietta Remington leaded so badly with .451 balls that it was missing the back board by the 12 shot thru it. With .457 balls it shot good. With Hollow Base connical bullets it shot FANTASTIC. I've been shooting .457s in all my many Remingtons ever since.

Wolfgang,

I only have 4 of them. With .451 balls and 26gr FFFg at 25ft, they will all make a 5 shot group that touches every hole. If I use .454 balls, there is a slight spread. Both are plenty good enough for what we do, but in a contest, I'd use the .451s. I have several hundred of each, so I'll shoot 'em 'til they're gone. I would like to try some connicals just for kicks. I only shoot Frontiersman a couple of times a year, FCGF the rest of the time.

CR

It's not a matter of "lasting." It's a matter of reliable ignition. If you don't mind having misfires, caps falling off, and cap jams then the original nipples are fine. I have found Uberti nipples to be nowhere as consistent in size as Tressos. Also, the factory nipples have large flash holes and this tends to cause more cap fragments to blow off the nipples and jam the gun. Someone will get on here and say they shoot the stock nipples and Bosnian War surplus caps. You don't see those people in the winner's circle.

That should not be taken as to imply that using Tresso nipples will land you in the winner's circle. Frankly, I think it's somewhat overblown, as a group we tend to be rather enthusiastic in our praise of a product, and yet can, on ocassion overlook other issues. It takes far more than that. And you can have misfires, broken caps and caps falling off with Tressos. I've had just as much trouble with Tresso nipples as the Dixie Gun Works replacement nipples on my ASM 1851 clone & the factory Colt 2nd Gen guns. I bought those back in the late '80s from DGW (not a clue where they got them from). I took 'em off and re-installed the factory nipples. I ain't sayin' Tressos are bad, just saying those particular sets weren't any better than factory Colt nipples.

I've had the Manhatten mod done to my '51s and love it. Haven't had a cap fall between the hammer and the frame since! No fragments down into the hand pivot or around the cam and bolt ear... those'll tie a gun up quick! I agree with Iron Pony about getting a consistent cylinder/barrel gap, as that'll set the stage for consistent distance of cylinder to frame... nothing worse IMO than having a cylinder sloppin' back n' forth.

I will agree, I've also found Remington #10s to be far more consistent than CCI caps. I won't feign knowledge about foreign caps, (it's been far too long since I've bought any, although my supply of older RWS #10s have worked to perfection on my caplock rifle, but they don't on my revolvers... go figure).

Welcome to the wonderful world of fire & smoke, the only true BP category; its added frustrations only serve to enhance the satisfaction and sense of accomplishment when you complete a stage, a match, and the elation when you DO end up in the winner's circle... (What do I care if the rest of 'em chickened out 'cause it was rainin')!;)

I am also a believer in the old "if it aint broke, dawnt fix it" saying. I used the Pietta Remingtons for several years with stock nipples and never had any issues that I blamed on the nipples. Though the older Pietta Colts were a problem with nipples, my newer ones worked good with the factory nipples on their one trip out for test firing. Everything in my experience with those older models I came to a conclusion that it wasnt the actual Pietta nipples but more like the machine work on the frame??? Im with Griff on the notion that there is a whole lot more playing into being a champion than nipple brands, even gun brand for that matter. I found a pard on the wire who done me a great deal on .36 balls but like you I will need to do some searching for the .44s. Always try to get opinions before buying your balls as I have seen some that used bullet mixtures and could not be normally rammed into chambers. Anyone know what ball size the .44 Uberti Walker and Dragoons prefer??

Hey another thing to look at for reliability is having someone "rugerize" the hand springs. In 2002 IIRC I broke both of them on my main match guns on ONE stage, at that time the Piettas. Happened to be at our state shoot and I was lucky enough to have my pard Sixgun Swansey Slim loan me a pair of Remingtons he brought up for plainsman and I completed the match with those. Of course one of the mandatory improvements I had Labouche do to the Ubertis was that modification.

Maine Powder House or Powder Inc. for powder.

The Possible Shop for your nipples and other tools like wrenches, powder flasks, and possible bags. Personally, I prefer the Cabela's Steel Nipples, but I think they've only got them for their Pietta brand pistolas. You'll have to check.

Cowboy Shooter Supply for your percussion caps - (scroll down to the bottom of the page).

Dash Caliber for your bullets. May have to give him a call @ 678-787-2350.

This outta get ya' heading in the right direction.

My .44 1851 Pietta's use a .454 ball. Cuts a nice little lead ring when I ram 'em in...which is something that I want to assure a sealed fit. BTW - it's powder, wad, bullet in that order. I use Wonder Wads and keep the cylinder bolt lubed generously. This eliminates me having to smear any grease on top of the bullets after I've set them. ;) This also eliminates having any grease dribble down my leg on a hot day while waiting on the firing line. ^_^

Archived