SASS Wire Forum

Who is a good source for 30-30 Gas Checked

Big Jake1001

Big Medicine Sass # 19 just called me asking about a source for 30-30 150gr. gas checked bullets. I used to buy from Bonus bullets here in so.Cal. They moved to Colorado then sold out and the name changed to Sundance Bullets. They want $30 a hundred, OUCH!!

Ive been caught up in a time warp, remembering when we used to buy them for $10 a hundred to $13-$15 a hundred when lead was cheap.

Lead is $2.29 a lb. now, but how much could a 100 bullets weigh? Yeah, I know labor...gas checks....lube but 30 cents each???

So anybody with a good source for some bullets, let me know and I'll pass it along to him. As for me...I still have a large stash of $10 a box of bullets from the old days. I still have 5-6 sleeves of Winchester primers at $50 each too. Its gonna hurt when I run out and have to replace them at todays prices.

Big Jake

Big Medicine Sass # 19 just called me asking about a source for 30-30 150gr. gas checked bullets. I used to buy from Bonus bullets here in so.Cal. They moved to Colorado then sold out and the name changed to Sundance Bullets. They want $30 a hundred, OUCH!!

Ive been caught up in a time warp, remembering when we used to buy them for $10 a hundred to $13-$15 a hundred when lead was cheap.

Lead is $2.29 a lb. now, but how much could a 100 bullets weigh? Yeah, I know labor...gas checks....lube but 30 cents each???

So anybody with a good source for some bullets, let me know and I'll pass it along to him. As for me...I still have a large stash of $10 a box of bullets from the old days. I still have 5-6 sleeves of Winchester primers at $50 each too. Its gonna hurt when I run out and have to replace them at todays prices.

Big Jake

http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,3602.html 152 gas checked from Buffalo Arms, $22.59/100. And that's 46 rounds per lb of lead. Why I cast.

Man That is high.

Probably one of the finest cast bullets you can buy. Oregon Trail Bullet Co. Laser Cast bullets.

30 Cal. 170 gr. RNFP GC 309 Diameter 117.25 per 500 (23.5 cents each) Delivered to your door.

You may find a little cheaper price somewhere, but you won't find a better quality bullet.

RBK

I thought that "gas checked" was a big no-no, or is it OK if used in a side match? Smithy.

I thought that "gas checked" was a big no-no, or is it OK if used in a side match? Smithy.

Might have something to do with the target being over 100 yards away. CG certainly will not hurt the steel and most likely won't bounce back anywhere near the firing line.

Just a thought.

Shooters Handbook says Pistol and Rifle ammo, no gas checks. And rifle max. velocity is 1,400fps or slower.

It doesn't spearate main match and side match. Besides bounce back it's about ruining steel targets. Many of the SASS long range events are 65yd speed rifle.

Ike

As usual, it may depend on the match director's discretion. But, for SASS Rules matches, ammo for side matches are not restricted to that described for main match stages.

Shooters Handbook says Pistol and Rifle ammo, no gas checks. And rifle max. velocity is 1,400fps or slower.

It doesn't spearate main match and side match. Besides bounce back it's about ruining steel targets. Many of the SASS long range events are 65yd speed rifle.

Ike

See above and below for chapter & verse.
From the 2010 SASS Shooter's Handbook, pg 12:

AMMUNITION

The minimum standard for center-fire smokeless ammunition used in all SASS matches State, Regional, National, International, and World Championship Competitions is not less than a minimum power factor of 60 and no velocity may be less than 400 fps. The maximum velocity standard for revolvers is 1000 fps. The maximum velocity standard for rifles is 1400 fps. Pocket pistols, derringers, and long-range rifles are exempt from the power factor and velocity requirements.

And from page 18:

BASIC RULES FOR THE LONG RANGE COMPETITIONS

Regardless of category or caliber, bullets used in long range and precision rifle matches must be made of pure lead or lead alloy having a plain base, gas checked, or paper patched configuration.

Emphasis added. I have used gas-checked bullets in my .30-30 long range rifle since 1988 when I first used it in a long range side match at EOT. And EVERY long range event I've entered since. I've yet to see a lead bullet, even even one hard enough not to lead the barrel at 2100fps, dimple or puncture a steel target when set beyond 50 yards or so. Proper target placement and attitude will prevent any splashback, just as it does for the pistol targets set at 7 yards.

Thank you Griff, I'm glad you set them straight and much better than I would have.<rant mode on> I kinda get mad when someone with a SASS # as big as a Ohio zip code comes on here spouting off about something they obviously know nothing about. So much BUM scoop goes out in the wire everyday. <rant mode off> Hope someone learned something here today.

Big Jake

Archived