SASS Wire Forum

Dillon 650--crushed primers

Crusty

Ok, I've had my 650 for 5 years. I may get an inverted primer or one put in sideways every once in a while. But today I've had more than my share.

Anyone else ever had that problem? What'd you do to fix it? :blush:

I have a brand new Square Deal "B". I have been cruching 1 out of every 7 primer, they're sending me a new shell plate, we'll see!

Frenchy

Try takeing the "wheel" assembly that the primers ride in apart and cleaning out any debris.

Take the shell plate off and clean up. When putting it back on, tighten the bolt all the way and then just barely back it off maybe 1/16 turn before locking in place.

Other than that, call Dillon Monday morning.

Since it's been working for 5 years, my guess would be either some component has changed (doubtful since you didn't mention that) or the primer feed needs to be cleaned. When I bought my 650, it had a factory defect (anvil stuck up higher than it should) and I went through every imaginable possiblity with Dillon before I figured it out. Since getting that taken care of, I've gone from 1-3 crushed primers per 100 to maybe 1 problem of some sort (typically upside down) in 1000.

Check to see if your anvil is retracting to the point that a primer drops slightly (maybe 1/64 to 1/32) into an indention.

When the anvil comes up, is it centered?

Remove the shell plate. Remove the ball bearing and it's spring.

Remove the tee shaped metal piece that index stops in the holes in the bottom of the shell plate. Remove it's spring. Clean all these parts and the holes they came out of. Clean the bottom of the shell plate.

Replace all parts. Tighten shell plate bolt and locking set screw in side of ram. Now look and make sure the primer setting punch comes up center of the shell plate case holes. If not check the shell plate index cam on the left side of the machine. two allen bolts hold it in place. Loosen two bolts and by hand move the shell plate so the primer setting punch is centered in shell plate hole. Move indexing cam tight against index ring. Tighten bolts.

If the primers are flipping side ways they are catching the shell plate on the way up. If the primers are up side down the this can also be the case or the primer was up side down in the primer tube.

Call Dillon. They will send you a tool to align the shell plate to the primer setting punch. With instructions.

My thanks to all of you for your time and comments. As soon as I get home from work I'll act on your suggestions. The press had set for about 6 months and I did replace the case insertion slide. I may have screwed something up.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

Sorry Charlie, I'll stick with my 650. :)

I have a similar problem the shell plate over rotates and the trailing edge of the primer catches the back of the primer pocket in the brass causing the primer to deform leaving a

sliver of primer material protruding from the primer pocket. I've almost replaced everything and used both the shell plate alignment tool and the platform alignment tool. disassembled the machine more than I like to admit to and it's still doing it. Lucky I have a 550 that seems never to fail.

I have a similar problem the shell plate over rotates and the trailing edge of the primer catches the back of the primer pocket in the brass causing the primer to deform leaving a

sliver of primer material protruding from the primer pocket. I've almost replaced everything and used both the shell plate alignment tool and the platform alignment tool. disassembled the machine more than I like to admit to and it's still doing it. Lucky I have a 550 that seems never to fail.

Reb, I know you hate to give up on it, but when all else fails, pack that puppy up and send it to Dillon. They'll fix it.

I had the same problems and after a lot of searching finally did the following to my 650 and this seems to have "fixed" the issue. I don't think you can ever get away from any of this 100% of the time.

Adjust the black hard plastic "Indexer Block" (page 48 of your 650 manual) so that the shell plate rotates the proper amount to where the "Seater Assembly/primer seater" (page 50 of your 650 manual) is properly centered in the opening of the shell plate under the brass casing. Also, adjust the "Primer Station Locator Tab" (page 53 of your 650 manual) so that the correct location of your brass for the primer seater.

All of this is in addition to some of the previous comments about taking parts of the machine apart and doing a good cleaning.

Had a similar problem last year. My 650 had been working great and all of the sudden kept getting flipped primers. As several have suggested, I called Dillon. They sent me a new primer punch and alighnment tool ...and they talked me through the process. Thats what is so awesome about Dillon. All repiars, parts and advice is FREE.

Archived