SASS Wire Forum

Need a good aftermarket 9mm bbl

Iron Pony

With free time on my hands it looks like I will at last get around to finishing up a project thats been kicking around for a long time, a 4 caliber 1911.

Started many years ago when I bought one of the SW 10mm FBI guns and as a 1911 shooter I quickly learned I loved the cartridge but not the gun. This led to getting the guidance of gunsmith Brad Lewis and the purchase of a full size stainless Colt in 38Super another of my favorites as they werent making the Delta Elite in stainless at that time. Brad made it into a two caliber shooter, 38Super and 10mm. Several years later it became a three caliber 38Super, 10mm and 40S&W.

Now to complete the process I need to set it up as a 9mm as well. The conversion is simple new bbl, recoil spring and magazines. With the 10mm/40SW the same bushing was used and I will try to do this with the 38S/9mm to make things a bit easier.

So give me suggestions about 9mm bbls. Who makes good ones? Who carries them?

I know, theres nothing the 9mm will do the 38Super doesnt already excel at but the point is to have one gun I can shoot just about anyting in. Plus the cool factor of doing up a fitted case for the whole pkg would be undeniable. Hmm maybe a Kimber conversion kit in there as well....

Yep, Bar-sto. You can get their barrels much faster if you order from Brownell's rather than the manufacturer.

As to your build, I have a few concerns. The breech face and barrel ramp are different between the 9mm / 38 super and the 10mm / 40 S&W calibers. I don't think they'll interchange well. Machining out the barrel ramp and using fully ramped barrels solves half the problem, but I don't know how you'll get past the different breech face.

Oh yeah, the exjector is different, too.

I think you'd be better off building a different gun.

Had thought of Bar-sto and will check them out, thanks.

Cyrus the current conversions on this pistol are in place now using std bbls. The switch from "large" 40/10 to "small" other then bbl and recoil springs included a different extractor and firing pin spring. The ejector on the gun has never been modified and runs fine with all three caibers so far. I do not believe Brad had to open the breech face to accomodate the 10mm case, will see if I can find records as to work done and if it is listed.

I'll have to grab another 3-5 good quality magazines and that should do it.

I ran across a 9mm Springfield barrel and slide for a 1911 at a gun shop for a good price. The bushing was one of those like the Colts with the "fingers". It wasn't just a drop in fit on an old Colt frame that I had, but it didn't take too much work to get it working. I don't know how fancy you want to get with your 9mm but you might be able to get a good deal from Springfield.

I've had good luck with Storm Lake Barrels.

Ditto.Storm Lake makes excellent barrels for just about any pistol, including extended and threaded barrels for silencers.

Just be forewarned: Most of these barrels will say 'Drop IN..No gunsmithing required'....But in my experience, many of their barrels will require some minor gunsmithing to fit properly(On Polymer pistols, the Storm Lake barrels 99% of the time do just drop in..but on 1911 style pistols, they will require some minor fitting).I mostly buy their extended and threaded replacmenet barrels for clients that want silencers.

Archived