SASS Wire Forum

Married guys What would you do?

Buckhorn Woodie

Hi Woodie,

I don't know how many guns hubby has. He buys whatever he can afford.

We don't have separate accounts.

I heard some psychologist on TV (the Today show, I think) say that it is advisable to have an "ours" account for essentials and then his and hers accounts for individual luxuries. So, what's yours should not be hers.

I do have to sneak clothes, shoes, and fabric into the house or he complains. :unsure: See, my things don't appreciate in value like guns and tools do.

We've been married 39 years. So, I guess it's too late to change now. This was probably no help. :unsure:

Regards,

Allie Mo

I have been married for 47 ,going on 48 years. I have never ask her if I can buy anything and she know that if she want something she can buy it.

yep. After 37 years of marriage.... to the same woman.... I have learned that money aint the most important thing. It's just something to use to be happy. After scrimping and saving most of my life, I am in the fortunate position where my financial situation is good. If I don't do something stupid, I won't outlive my money and there'll be enough left to take care of my widow with some left over for the kids and grandkids.

hell, I don't live extravagantly and a splurge every once in a while is good for the soul and my wife loves to splurge on the grandkids. I want for very little and when I do want something, I just get it. That doesn't stop the feelings of guilt for spending the savings but this is my problem and it shouldn't spill over onto others that I love.

I guess those of us that were raised by depression era parents or are old enough to have lived through it themselves understand.

When I met my late bride, she asked me why I had so many guns. I showed her what I paid for each and what the current used value was. Bright little lady said "that is like jewelry, it just keeps appreciating in value". Most every time we went by a gun store, she would ask me if I wanted to shop around and see if there was something I could not live without.

She has been gone for four years and I am still in the habit of buying a gun if the deal is right. Just bought an M-1 from a trusted pard a couple weeks ago. After carrying and sleeping with one for several years while working for the US Army, I just had to have one. She is doing handsprings up there I am sure.

When I met my late bride, she asked me why I had so many guns. I showed her what I paid for each and what the current used value was. Bright little lady said "that is like jewelry, it just keeps appreciating in value". Most every time we went by a gun store, she would ask me if I wanted to shop around and see if there was something I could not live without.

She has been gone for four years and I am still in the habit of buying a gun if the deal is right. Just bought an M-1 from a trusted pard a couple weeks ago. After carrying and sleeping with one for several years while working for the US Army, I just had to have one. She is doing handsprings up there I am sure.

And I bet she is Willies.. she was a great lady.. and I know that cuz you speak so highly of her!!

Hi Woodie,

I don't know how many guns hubby has. He buys whatever he can afford.

We don't have separate accounts.

I heard some psychologist on TV (the Today show, I think) say that it is advisable to have an "ours" account for essentials and then his and hers accounts for individual luxuries. So, what's yours should not be hers.

I do have to sneak clothes, shoes, and fabric into the house or he complains. :unsure: See, my things don't appreciate in value like guns and tools do.

We've been married 39 years. So, I guess it's too late to change now. This was probably no help. :unsure:

Regards,

Allie Mo

I don't have it as bad as I let on ...But I won't tell her that :rolleyes: She gives me allot of guff about my toys but has never stop me from ever getting or doing what I want...as long as it was in reason and a time or two when it was not :wub:

On the bright side I will have all my WB guns next week....now if I can only find the time to get caught up on all my honey-dos and put the darn kart togather and do some reloading life will be good :)

Sounds like it all worked out. My .02 would have been to hold out for the .45 Colt. That is unless you are already setup to load the .44 mag.

As to the philosophical part of your question. If you are the marrying type, then there is nothing on this earth that is nearly worth a good woman. That being said, I don't ask for permission, but I do discuss anything that effects our household finances with my wife. She is my partner and she has earned that respect. I wouldn't trade her happiness for all the guns the bunch of us could put in a pile.

YMMV,

Boondock

Sounds good to me . . . I almost had that . . . but Beth Rider :wub: passed away before we could get hitched in double harness. :lol:

The right one will come along brother Wolffees.. you know in MO I did help get Dogwoods and Monte together and they are happy! So, you never know I might find you match out there someplace.. Still getting known in the area, and that takes me a while. I am looking into hiking clubs, gun clubs, joined a gym, help out with the united way drives for my job, ... in MO I belonged to a lot of stuff to find friends, and it was a lot of fun.

Sounds like it all worked out. My .02 would have been to hold out for the .45 Colt. That is unless you are already setup to load the .44 mag.

As to the philosophical part of your question. If you are the marrying type, then there is nothing on this earth that is nearly worth a good woman. That being said, I don't ask for permission, but I do discuss anything that effects our household finances with my wife. She is my partner and she has earned that respect. I wouldn't trade her happiness for all the guns the bunch of us could put in a pile.

YMMV,

Boondock

I don't know ya, but you do sound like a Saint.. and I bet your wife is proud!! Very sweet post.. the whole reason I love the cowboys on this board is because the married ones really are married, and they know to take me as funny, cuz I like to tease them.. I don't like cheaters at all... so this board is so refreshing... I love the honesty, devotion to family, and passion for the old ways of cowboy life you all show. I get that when I am out shooting, cowboys are real gentlemen, and they take care of me by keeping me chatting, and just offering to help with advice and stuff.. I have a ton of respect for guys like you and the SASS guys on here and love reading these types of posts.. very cool... While I was lucky once but he passed away I have been unlucky twice.. lol.. So, just knowing never never land does exist is enough for me now ... lol. My hat is off to ya, and I am a girl.. thanks for loving your wife as much as you love yourself.. very sweet...

YMMV,

Boondock

For the $289 the 44mag was a little hard to pass up ...the 45LC will come....I will just have to sale more bike parts...I try to fiance most of my toys & hobbies these days.. with my toys & hobbies...As for the wife hell we have been married for around 35 years now and sometimes we fight like cats & dogs but we both figure we will be married for at least another 35...I really don't have to ask permission for anything I do but she does like me do what she calls ask-tell...I don't always do the ask-tell thing but she appreciates it when I do.

My favorite that still works ( for now ) is: "Aw, Honey. I've had them for quite some time now!"

Note: I'm only typing this here in THIS forum for (1) She's out of town right now and (2) She never gets on my computer.

Took my daughter (36) to the range to teach her to shoot pistol yesterday. When I got off work I called her and said go to the gun room and get the black case with two guns in it and the camo rifle case laying on top. A minute later she called me back concerned the rifle case was empty. I said "Of course it is we're sneeking in a new rifle tonight".

:lol::lol:

Took my daughter (36) to the range to teach her to shoot pistol yesterday. When I got off work I called her and said go to the gun room and get the black case with two guns in it and the camo rifle case laying on top. A minute later she called me back concerned the rifle case was empty. I said "Of course it is we're sneeking in a new rifle tonight".

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Archived