SASS Wire Forum

filing buckhorn flat

Flinthills Dawg

Howdy all I just received my Taylor 73 that I have been waiting for since Oct. of last year. Its been tuned and SS, the issue is the buckhorn was to be filed flat and it wasn't. Whats the easiest way to do the job? I tried a file foynd out they are harder than I thought, I have a die grinder.

I like to drift the rear sight off the rifle (it comes out to the right side of gun, drift with a brass drift and light hammer). Then the rifle barrel will not get scratched when you slip the grip on some tool you are using.

Grind about the first half of what you want to remove on bench grinder. After you get through that far, you can file with a clean file down to you desired finish line. Don't leave sharp horns out at the left and right sides - round them off to avoid snagging on clothes or your arm. Make sure you leave enough of the V to let your front sight bead fit into it. Unless you like a sight picture with the bead floating above the sides of the rear sight blade. If you go really far down with the filing, thus lowering the rear sight blade "effective" height, you could end up needing a lower front sight to match that new rear height, so go slow and test it out.

Touch up the filed metal with cold blue - Brownell's OxphoBlue is my favorite. Then oil well, reinstall and sight in.

Good luck, GJ

Dremel Tool with a littl cut off wheel.

Finish off with file.

My total time. Less than 5 minutes start to finish.

+1......I put a little masking tape around the bbl just in case and then a touch of cold blue.

Plus one for Garrison Joe. Your other choice is to order a flat sight from Brownells. It isn't all that expensive.

Coffinmaker

PS: Or ship it back for whoever worked on it to finish the job. Cost of shipping should be on their hook.

I'd get ahold of the gunsmith and have him send me a marbles flat top site.

They are easy to install as described above.

That's what I did when it happened to me.

Marshal Stone

Archived