SASS Wire Forum

Affordability using 22s ?

Matthew Duncan

I've read that some local matches allow 22s as main match guns

Helps the tenderfoot get started and shaves costs for others

That makes sense

What I'm a wondering about is what is a good way to download a 22 ?

You know, to reduce recoil and save money on power ?

:rolleyes: there used to be something called BBCaps that used just the primer to propell a .22 round ball I think that is the lowest power .22 rimfire but these days I think the slightly more powerful CB Cap (conical ball) is the weakest that you will see for sale... that will work for your handguns but for rifle I think the Winchester 1890 pump in .22 short is as low as you can go so you will need to put up with its massive recoil I fear :blink::lol::rolleyes:

now if you can not find the CB caps you coul pull the slug fromthe .22 shorts and dump the powder and press in a .22 round ball that gives you the down load you asked for but I think you might have cycle problems in your 1890 and I might worry a touch they would have the oomph to get all the way down the barrel to the target :rolleyes:

I thought this was going to be one of those serious discussions. Then I realized it was started by Matthew Duncan.

Yep, the idea of knat fart loads has to really excite some "real cowboys." They might get their average times down from 50 seconds to the low teens, every stage. That is assuming the bullets actually leave the barrel.

This thread has me thinking. Does Dillon make dies? How about Lee? What is the best powder for reloading 22? Does Hodgdon have a loading chart on line or do we have to buy the latest paper manual?

A little Henry Goldenboy would be world beater if somebody could figure out how to short stroke it. Of course purists wouldn't want anything to do with any rifle built in the US (other than the Marlin.) That guy at Henry has some nerve actually building stuff right here in the US of A. Doesn't that guy from New York City or is it New Jersey realize that only the Italians, Brazilians, Russians and Chinese can make cowboy long guns. Americans can only build pistols.

I've read that some local matches allow 22s as main match guns

Helps the tenderfoot get started and shaves costs for others

That makes sense

What I'm a wondering about is what is a good way to download a 22 ?

You know, to reduce recoil and save money on power ?

22 Shorts of course. I use them all the time in my short stroked Single Six. Only one of two that I am aware of. :rolleyes:

I'm afraid you're way behind the times Matthew. The hot ticket these days is to get revolvers and rifles chambered in .17! You pull that heavy 17-grain bullet from them Mach2 cartridges, dump the powder and insert a .177 caliber pellet.Recoil is noticeably less than a .22CB ;)

But M.T. THink of the cost of doing that! :rolleyes:

Well I did a bit of digging and the only readily available starting point ammo I could find was the CCI .22 SHort CB

http://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/detail.aspx?use=3&loadNo=0026

it's fierce 29 gr slug at 710 fps MV! must be moderated; so pulling the slug and dumping the powder and press fitting a .22 RB of about 15g will be your best option from a cost basis as using expensive air gun pellets can hardly be cost justified and a bag of several thousand BB shot can be had at a far lower price.

I really see no way around shooting the as sold .22 CB Short for the rifle though due to cycling problems with a RB seated into the case it is sad that the old BB Cap and CB Cap ammo is so hare to come by these days :rolleyes: as if it was due to use of about 1/2 as much copper in each case should provide a major savings in price... then agan as you will be policing all the mounds of brass for recycling (or reuse I understand that the .22 rim fire case can be reloaded several times if you care to make your own primer compound ( think the paperwork involved in buying this would be rathr involved but old fashoned Fulminate of Mercury os not hard to make if you are carful to keep it damp... :ph34r: and are careful to index the loads in your revolvers when loading so a different par of the rim will be struck each time a reloaded case is fired (of course once again new .22 CB Short will be needed for the rifle as there would be no way to control what part of the rim came under the firing pin

I will be interested to see what your chronograph reports for the home made BB shorts against the pulled slug dumped powder sort.

I think you need to rethink that.

A primer (thats all) in a case w/o bullet or powder, is the absolute cheapest. Low recoil so you don't bank up your wrist and aggrevate the arthoritis AND the best part is,,,,, you will get all clean hits cause the spotters will not be able to see misses, so then deductions says they must all be hits. Ya win. :rolleyes:

Careful about the LP primer ammo, they have noticable more recoil.

Cost be da#*ed Doc,

We're goin' for the Caddy and Rimfire World Champeen! :P

I was only trying to honor the topic title "Affordability using 22s ?" that Matthew selected

others have spoken or using air gun pellets driven by primers in turned brass "cartridge cases"

one problem with driving an air gun pellet with a large pistol primer as I have found in my own tests using .22 pellets in this area is that you have to be very selective in the type of pellet as with some designs the primer can blow through the front of the pellet and in others the the power of the primer will blow the front of the pellet off of the skirt

Cheers :lol: Windy

:huh: Iron Pony, {shooting the shotgun in the basement} lesson learned the hard way, it has on occasion, only once been known to blow out the pilot-lite on the furnace. About 3:00 am it got damn cold here in Minni-sota in January. Wife said, "you autta known better get the pilot lit before the pipes freeze" :wub:

I was only trying to honor the topic title "Affordability using 22s ?" that Matthew selected

others have spoken or using air gun pellets driven by primers in turned brass "cartridge cases"

one problem with driving an air gun pellet with a large pistol primer as I have found in my own tests using .22 pellets in this area is that you have to be very selective in the type of pellet as with some designs the primer can blow through the front of the pellet and in others the the power of the primer will blow the front of the pellet off of the skirt

Cheers :lol: Windy

Thats why I prefer the 17 over the 22 Doc. The 17's don't seem to have those problems.

Those straight-walled 22 cartridges was leavin' lots of primer residue in the action from blow-back, them bottle-neck 17Mach2 cases seal up real good jus' like a micro 44/40 and clean-up is a snap. :lol::P

Matthew,

Don't forget about the 'Rule exception' when using those blistering .22's. It allows for Mag-Na-Porting your pistols to help hold down the recoil. :o:o:o

..........Widder

I thought this was going to be one of those serious discussions. Then I realized it was started by Matthew Duncan.

Yep, the idea of knat fart loads has to really excite some "real cowboys." They might get their average times down from 50 seconds to the low teens, every stage. That is assuming the bullets actually leave the barrel.

This thread has me thinking. Does Dillon make dies? How about Lee? What is the best powder for reloading 22? Does Hodgdon have a loading chart on line or do we have to buy the latest paper manual?

A little Henry Goldenboy would be world beater if somebody could figure out how to short stroke it. Of course purists wouldn't want anything to do with any rifle built in the US (other than the Marlin.) That guy at Henry has some nerve actually building stuff right here in the US of A. Doesn't that guy from New York City or is it New Jersey realize that only the Italians, Brazilians, Russians and Chinese can make cowboy long guns. Americans can only build pistols.

If you dont see it is a miss, it is a hit. I may start shooting blanks. Super fast, no misses no Ps

You do like we did in the old days. Pappy would give me one .22 short and told me not to come back without a squirrel for supper.

I'd take that .22 cartridge apart, save back 1/2 of the powder and 1/2 of the priming compound (got to be careful scraping that out of the rim!) and cut the bullet in half.

Then I'd reload the cartridge with the 1/2 powder and 1/2 bullet. That would get me a squirrel. Had to sneak really close (almost as close as SASS steel) because that little .22 half short didn't make much power!

Then I'd reload the cartridge with my saved powder, primer and 1/2 bullet. That would get me another squirrel.

One thing, you have to remember which 1/2 of the rim you put the priming compound in and make sure the firing pin is set to hit that part of the rim.

My pappy was awful proud of me, bringing back 2 squirrels with one bullet. But after a while he got to expect it. Then the worst part was he figured if I could get 2 squirrels with one bullet.... I ought to be able to get me 1 squirrel with no bullets. But that is another story.

You do like we did in the old days. Pappy would give me one .22 short and told me not to come back without a squirrel for supper.

I'd take that .22 cartridge apart, save back 1/2 of the powder and 1/2 of the priming compound (got to be careful scraping that out of the rim!) and cut the bullet in half.

Then I'd reload the cartridge with the 1/2 powder and 1/2 bullet. That would get me a squirrel. Had to sneak really close (almost as close as SASS steel) because that little .22 half short didn't make much power!...

Our Pappys must have been related?! Paw gave me one bullet too. I'd split that 22 in half too?!

From a reading your story, you were a better shot that me. With that half 22 I'd only able to bring home a half of a squirel...not two whole ones like you.

Our Pappys must have been related?! Paw gave me one bullet too. I'd split that 22 in half too?!

From a reading your story, you were a better shot that me. With that half 22 I'd only able to bring home a half of a squirel...not two whole ones like you.

Probably because I was shooting at Yankee squirrels. They are not as smart as Southern squirrels.

You fellers sure went to a lot o bother to get 2 squirrels with on .22 short :blink:

Now when I had the same problem with my pap being stingy with the ammo... I just set my knife in a knothole and then gathered up some acorns and nuts and berries into two carefully placed piles waited for 2 bushy tailed mice to get interested and then shot at the knife blade and one bang 2 for the pot... later on I wised up and put 3 piles of bate one behind the other and got 3 with one shot... tried for 4 but the terminal ballistics of the .22 short were not up to the task and 3 was the best i could do :wacko::blink:

Windy but mostly truthful... or inventive at any rate :DB)

You fellers sure went to a lot o bother to get 2 squirrels with on .22 short ...

It was a lot of bother

But with the Yankee government taxes and all there wasn't enough money left to buy a 22 long

Wonder what it be like 150 years from now...

Archived