SASS Wire Forum

The Cowboy Way

Harvey Mushman

Pards,

A couple threads here got me thinking about the meaning of "Cowboy Way". I couldn't find anything really definitive on what it is, and reflected on what I think it is and how I got that interpretation into my head.

I grew up in the 50's with the Saturday matinees and serials, and the first ten years of TV westerns (when TV was new) as I lived and went toward a cowboy life. I ended up going into very different professions and have only now returned obliquely via SASS.

My early thoughts of the cowboy way and values were captured best by Gene Autrey, Roy Rogers, Wild Bill Hickock, and of course, the greatest of them all, Hopalong Cassidy (see below for the old values I grew up with from them). These values were further developed by the Boy Scouts and my Mom and Dad. These were values to be aspired to and admired, and though we fall short occasionally, to get back up and live up to them.

Hollywood most certainly romanticized the cowboy and much of SASS is founded on the Hollywood version of the old west.

So here are a couple questions to ponder in SASS:

1. What formed your foundation of what you think the Cowboy Way is?

2. How close are these values to what you think real cowboy values were/are? Maybe some of our real cowboy members can offer some thoughts here?

Thanks,

Harvey

Hopalong Cassidy's Creed for American Boys and Girls

1. The highest badge of honor a person can wear is honesty. Be truthful at all times.

2. Your parents are the best friends you have. Listen to them and obey their instructions.

3. If you want to be respected, you must respect others. Show good manners in every way.

4. Only through hard work and study can you succeed. Don't be lazy.

5. Your good deeds always come to light. So don't boast or be a show-off.

6. If you waste time or money today, you will regret it tomorrow. Practice thrift in all ways.

7. Many animals are good and loyal companions. Be friendly and kind to them.

8. A strong, healthy body is a precious gift. Be neat and clean.

9. Our country's laws are made for your protection. Observe them carefully.

10. Children in many foreign lands are less fortunate than you. Be glad and proud you are an American.

Gene Autry's Code of Honor

1. A cowboy never takes unfair advantage - even of an enemy.

2. A cowboy never betrays a trust. He never goes back on his word.

3. A cowboy always tells the truth.

4. A cowboy is kind and gentle to small children, old folks, and animals.

5. A cowboy is free from racial and religious intolerances.

6. A cowboy is always helpful when someone is in trouble.

7. A cowboy is always a good worker.

8. A cowboy respects womanhood, his parents and his nation's laws.

9. A cowboy is clean about his person in thought, word, and deed.

10. A cowboy is a Patriot.

Wild Bill Hickock Deputy Marshal's Code of Conduct

1. I will be brave, but never careless.

2. I will obey my parents. They DO know best.

3. I will be neat and clean at all times.

4. I will be polite and courteous.

5. I will protect the weak and help them.

6. I will study hard.

7. I will be kind to animals and care for them.

8. I will respect my flag and my country.

9. I will attend my place of worship regularly.

Roy Rogers Riders Club Rules

1. Be neat and clean.

2. Be courteous and polite.

3. Always obey your parents.

4. Protect the weak and help them.

5. Be brave, but never take chances.

6. Study hard and learn all you can.

7. Be kind to animals and care for them.

8. Eat all your food and never waste any.

9. Love God and go to Sunday School regularly.

10. Always respect our flag and our country.

to get a solid idea of the cowboy way watch cowboy with jack lemon and glenn ford.

its every man for himself. its not the romantic roy and gene and hoppy films.

think of how paden was found in silverado. true stories tell of dead men littering the trails of the old west. think of will penny when he shows up at the flat iron with the body looking for a job and the rest assume he waylayed the dead man to open up a spot on the roster.

all the same, its a romantic idea that most will hold others to and never live up to themselves.

flame away

I think it's our romanticized version of how cowboys conducted themselves, as demonstrated in the Western movies and TV shows we watched. It's probably not how real cowboys acted. It's better. And it's a good way to live your life. If more folks lived like Hoppy, Ben Cartwright, The Lone Ranger and John Chance the world would be a better place.

BTW, most of the stuff from the codes you included is Biblical.

CC,

No flames from me, I think we all know the Hollywood values espoused by the youth oriented "creeds" I posted were not the norm in 19th century western movement.

Howsomever, I will beg to differ with you on some points in the movie "Cowboy". It is the support for others - Glen Ford sacrificing the herd to save Jack Lemon when he is in over his head with the herd against the indians, that defines one of the key messages in the movie. It was a contrast in rugged individualism with good of the majority and personal relationships.

Good movie with conflicting, basic life messages (exactly as life is) IMHO.

Harvey

Off to bed, shooting dedicated BLACK shoot tomorrow! :ph34r:

Well. There is the Hollywierd version.

Or the really version.

Hang around a bunch of Cowboys for awhile

and then ya know the real version.

They are a good bunch. Will do just about anything for ya.

That is if they like ya. There hard to take sometimes. No

politically correct junk with them. They say it straight out.

Even the modern day Cowboys.

They are not the Hollywierd version.

That was to sell a TV show.

See it on here and used a lot.

But most times they refer to the Hollywierd version.

Think people throw that term out way to much for me.

The view from my saddle regarding the Cowboy Way of SASS as I wrote in my column for the Chronicle--December 2002:

http://mddall.com/sbss/0212.htm

Thanks Colonel,

Nice read, I wasn't with SASS in 2002 and appreciate the SASS history and your take on this -learning more from the archives all the time.

Appreciate all the thoughts here.

Harvey

Went to a Great "old SASS throwback" BP match today. Don't think I've ever shot 16 shotgun rounds in a stage before, much less Holy Black - didn't know SxS barrels could get that hot and not melt! :P

Thanks to Rowdy Yates, Cliff Hanger, the Brimstone Pistoleros and RR Bar. I'll be back. :D

As a Royal Ambassador I will do my best:

to become a well-informed, responsible follower of Christ;

to have a Christ-like concern for all people;

to learn how to carry the message of Christ around the world;

to work with others in sharing Christ; and

to keep myself clean and healthy in mind and body.

lets not forget The Lone Rangers Creed!

"I believe...

That to HAVE a friend, a man must BE one.

That all men are created equal and that everyone has within himself the power to make this a better world.

That God put the firewood there, but that every man must gather and light it himself.

In being prepared physically, mentally, and morally to fight when necessary for that which is right.

That a man should make the most of what equipment he has.

That 'this government OF the people, BY the people, and FOR the people' shall live always.

That men should live by the rule of what is best for the greatest number.

That sooner or later...somewhere...somehow...we must settle with the world and make payment for what we have taken.

That all things change but truth, and that truth alone, lives on forever.

And

In my Creator, my country, my fellow man."

I think this was one of the biggest reasons I so quickly took to this stuff.

The view from my saddle regarding the Cowboy Way of SASS as I wrote in my column for the Chronicle--December 2002:

http://mddall.com/sbss/0212.htm

Sounds about right to me pard! Along with all the common sense creed's listed above..;)

GG ~ :FlagAm:

The Cowboy Way - otherwise known as the golden rule - treat others as you would wish to be treated.

I've always been of the philosophy that men of today are pretty much like the men of yesteryear. Put us (and all those around us) in that time and you would get a similar version of what you have today. Many men tend to be good natured and respectful of thers. Some are the opposite. Then as now, the bad ones tend to hang with each other, so it's best to attempt to stay out of the bad "neighborhoods." The biggest problem back then was the "neighborhood" could run for 100's of miles and if their "gang" was bigger and better armed than your "gang, " it could make for dangerous travel. If you got into a tight, there was no dialing 911. As a result, a lot of good and bad men died and commonly without a murder investigation. For sure there was no CSI Miami. :D

Cowboy's Ten Commandments posted on the wall at Cross Trails Church in Farlie , Texas :

(1) Just one God.

(2) Honor yer Ma & Pa.

(3) No telling tales or gossipin'.

(4) Git yourself to Sunday meeting.

(5) Put nothin' before God.

(6) No foolin' around with another fellow's gal.

(7) No killin'.

(8) Watch yer mouth.

(9) Don't take what ain't yers.

(10) Don't be hankerin' for yer buddy's stuff. Y'all git all that?

Lord, keep Your arm around my shoulder

and Your hand over my mouth.

I think it basically just comes down to being honest in your words and deeds, and being willing to help out someone who needs it. Along with doing your part, as best you can, when it comes time to do the work.

I don't think it has to have overly Religious or philosophical overtones.

I shipped out a rig today to a cowboy that said "I'll take it. I figure I will get a check within a few days. Maybe he will shoot this weekend and, since I shipped today, he can wear the new to him rig, if he wants to. I figure that thanks to "the cowboy way", I have no doubt that the funds will come. There are very few other places left that you can do business this way. I sure am glad that we have this one. Not because of the toys or the money, but because it restores just a little bit of faith in my fellow man.

It's the same reason that you can leave a bunch of gun carts sitting around the range, full of guns and gear, and walk to the lunch area and not have to worry about it. It also comes into play when you are at your second shoot, and your shotgun breaks, and 15 strangers argue over who gets to loan you theirs to finish the match with.

I don't know how to define it exactly, but I know it when I see it. Just being around others that have it makes you want to be a better person.

Whatever it is, it is a good thing.

Boondock

I think it basically just comes down to being honest in your words and deeds, and being willing to help out someone who needs it. Along with doing your part, as best you can, when it comes time to do the work.

I don't think it has to have overly Religious or philosophical overtones.

I don't know how to define it exactly, but I know it when I see it. Just being around others that have it makes you want to be a better person.

Whatever it is, it is a good thing.

Boondock

I would agree with all of this. Otherwise, by some points of view I don't have it in me to follow the "Cowboy Way."

:ph34r: Harvey-- like you, I got my idealistic view of the Cowboy Way thru the matinees and TV of the '50's.

Then I got a real dose of reality by visiting my Uncle Ike on his ranch in northern Montana.

Folks still remember him in Phillips County as a real man's man. He lived and reflected what WE call the Cowboy Way and expected you to do the same if you were gonna be around him.

Performance is what counted-- not intentions or excuses. I realized the Hollywood Ideal was very nice and all, but I wondered if the matinee/tv idols could stand up to Life's REAL challenges like he did. He became my real hero, along with my dad.

And if you really wonder where to see the Cowboy Way now, I know for a fact you see it every morning when you look into the mirror.

Yep...I know you.

:ph34r: Harvey-- like you, I got my idealistic view of the Cowboy Way thru the matinees and TV of the '50's.

Then I got a real dose of reality by visiting my Uncle Ike on his ranch in northern Montana.

Folks still remember him in Phillips County as a real man's man. He lived and reflected what WE call the Cowboy Way and expected you to do the same if you were gonna be around him.

Performance is what counted-- not intentions or excuses. I realized the Hollywood Ideal was very nice and all, but I wondered if the matinee/tv idols could stand up to Life's REAL challenges like he did. He became my real hero, along with my dad.

And if you really wonder where to see the Cowboy Way now, I know for a fact you see it every morning when you look into the mirror.

Yep...I know you.

Darn it BB, I'm still sun(& wind)burned from Sunday's Thunder Valley all black, 6 hour shootout (what a HOOT!) and you go making me blush! :blush: That's a very high compliment coming from you, and I'm honored. You are one of the best examples in our club of one that more than lives the Cowboy Way. I remember that you even patiently bore with me when I had forgotten my long guns on my "new shooter" pre-shoot training and had to run back home to get them (another really red face for me!). :blink:

I think you REALLY hit the nail on the head on this subject. I think it is all about actually living and executing the values (and most of the "hollywood" ones are worthy) that we have have espoused here. It doesn't matter if you are a personable guy/gal or a curmudgeon, or a crusty old cowboy. It is about actually walking the talk, no matter how difficult. :excl:

We all fall short from time to time (we are human), but we aspire to do better and we get back up and reset the target each time!

That's my version of the cowboy way. :D

Harvey

Round bout here we have about 1,000,000 cattle and 10,000 folks in our trading area ,,,,,,,

The door is open to all that drop-by,,,,, if it's at meal time all are invited to take their fill,,,,If your'e stranded or in need of a hand,yep ya done found it,,,,,,,,, Respect me and mine and yer allway a welcome back ,,,,,, Clear da neighbours drive ,,,,,,help with chores,,,,,

Pitch in and get it done...

All and more are part of life in Cowboy country ....

Jabez Cowboy

Archived