SASS Wire Forum

Our Marine is moving to the east coast

BIG TIM

Our Son is moving to the DC area. I believe it is Boling Air base that he will be living at. We sure would like any info on gun laws there. He owns a couple of hand guns and he does not want any surprises when he gets there. Soooooo......and help with info would be great. Thanks.

Our Son is moving to the DC area. I believe it is Boling Air base that he will be living at. We sure would like any info on gun laws there. He owns a couple of hand guns and he does not want any surprises when he gets there. Soooooo......and help with info would be great. Thanks.

Go to NRA.org. Guides on state laws are there. Have him take along copies of these laws that apply. Also might be a good idea to check on base regulations. Yours. Nota John

When you say *DC area*, do you mean DC proper? Or just over the border into Virginia or Maryland?

If it's Virginia or Maryland, I would look into a State based NRA group, as they would know more on about the intricacies of local laws. That the type of thing I did when I went to Georgia and Michigan for an extended period of time.

Bolling field is in D.C. proper.....He would be smart to leave them home...DC is nuts.....You need a permit that you will never get. He may be able to keep them in the Base armory..Depends on their rules...Call ahead..VA is good to go..

Hellfire

Yes I do beleive that it is DC proper. His housing is about 8 miles or so from the Pentagon. I had heard that it is next to impossible to get the permit for DC. Been telling him that he had best leave them at home.

Yes, Bolling Air Force Base is in D.C. Didn't know they had housing for other services... That said, it's bounded on the north side by a Navy facility which could also have housing, I guess. If you use Google Maps, Bolling shows up, but the Navy part isn't clearly marked at most magnifications. Basically, almsot everything north of Malcom X Blvd/MacDill Blvd is the Navy part.

If the services offer any base housing choices and if he's not constained to live all that close to the Pentagon, he'd certainly be better off -- for shooting -- in either VA or MD. Ft. Belvoir comes to mind, south of D.C. in VA, or Ft. Meade in MD about halfway between D.C. and Baltimore. The trade-off is commute time.

IN any case, he'll need to know what the base/post rules are for posession and storage and so forth, so that should be some advance discussion with the Provost folks on the facilities.

-Chris

As he knows already Owning guns and being in the military Is a PITA. Not too bad if Living off Base.( Usually)

Our son is leaving tomorrow for Hawaii. Gun Laws there are as opressive as DC. Must be 25 to be even be considered to Own a Hand gun. All guns are Registered. Needless to say he's Dropping his Cowboy guns off at Our house (Again).

But Hey It will be a nice place to go shoot this summer.

Thanks for the OT Rave, Tell him thanks again for his service and for putting up with the incovience!

Check out the St Charles Sportsmens Club (http://www.stcharlessc.com/) which is about 20 mi SE of Bolling. I used to be a member there and they had a cowboy shooting group (don't know if they are affiliated with SASS). Nice indoor pistol range and good outdoor range of their own. Very nice folks and I'd still be a member there if I didn't move too far away 7 years ago.

Archived