SASS Wire Forum

Against the wind..

Deja Vous

a huge feeling to me.. Just like em I guess.. Some songs do stir your heart, and mind. I love the wish I didn't know what I didn't know then.. such a cool verse..

Against the Wind........

It seems like yesterday

But it was long ago

Janey was lovely she was the queen of my nights

There in the darkness with the radio playing low

And the secrets that we shared

The mountains that we moved

Caught like a wildfire out of control

'Til there was nothing left to burn and nothing left to prove

And I remember what she said to me

How she swore that it never would end

I remember how she held me oh so tight

Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then

Against the wind

We were runnin' against the wind

We were young and strong, we were runnin'

Against the wind

The years rolled slowly past

And I found myself alone

Surrounded by strangers I thought were my friends

I found myself further and further from my home

And I guess I lost my way

There were oh so many roads

I was living to run and running to live

Never worryied about paying or even how much I owed

Moving eight miles a minute for months at a time

Breaking all of the rules that would bend

I began to find myself searching

Searching for shelter again and again

Against the wind

A little something against the wind

I found myself seeking shelter sgainst the wind

Well those drifter's days are past me now

I've got so much more to think about

Deadlines and commitments

What to leave in, what to leave out

Against the wind

I'm still runnin' against the wind

I'm older now but still runnin' against the wind

Well I'm older now and still runnin'

Against the wind

Against the wind

Against the wind

Still runnin'

I'm still runnin'

Still runnin'

Runnin' against the wind

Runnin' against the wind

See the young man run

Watch the young man run

Watch the young man runnin'

He'll be runnin' against the wind

Let the cowboys ride

Let the cowboys ride

They'll be ridin' against the wind

Against the wind ...

Deja, there is somethin' to be said bout "Runnin' against the Wind."

I have thought bout dat alot....seems I've been doin' dat my whole life. But....

I don't think I would have it any other way.

Try to see it my way. It is an up hill fight. Every one says you can not do, be or take dis and dat.

But you keep tryin, over and over again. In ones early years, all da school kids made fun of ya cuz you aint cool. No worries. Just keep plugin' on.

Den comes da day, when ya see all yur school mates again and ya hear'em say how der lifes are just a failure. But you know....YOU KNOW, you made it through. You payed da price and ya made it through.

So, when I hear good ole Bob singin' dat song, I just close my eyes and smile, thinkin' I payed da price...I made it through....I was "Runnin' Against the Wind !"B)

Deja, there is somethin' to be said bout "Runnin' against the Wind."

I have thought bout dat alot....seems I've been doin' dat my whole life. But....

I don't think I would have it any other way.

Try to see it my way. It is an up hill fight. Every one says you can not do, be or take dis and dat.

But you keep tryin, over and over again. In ones early years, all da school kids made fun of ya cuz you aint cool. No worries. Just keep plugin' on.

Den comes da day, when ya see all yur school mates again and ya hear'em say how der lifes are just a failure. But you know....YOU KNOW, you made it through. You payed da price and ya made it through.

So, when I hear good ole Bob singin' dat song, I just close my eyes and smile, thinkin' I payed da price...I made it through....I was "Runnin' Against the Wind !"B)

I get tired at times.. but hey you know no one said it would be easy huh? Being muliti cultural is hard, huh? wish my dad had more respect for his past, but he is a good man.. so bet it.. anyhow.. I was raised around swedes.. lol.. none of them wanted that little crazy dark tannned girl to hand out with their boys.. lol.. But, I found sun block and a hat.. lol. being part helps.. it really; does..

Da wifey said I'm damnest thing she has ever seen....

I git white in da winter...

But in da Spring, I burn, never peel and stay red till bout da 1st snow !!B)

Makes her so mad !!!! :lol:

I just tell her "Dats wat happens when yur a mixed blood !! :D

I've been bucking a headwind all my life. Lost some promotions and more that a few jobs over it, even lost some friends along the way.

On the other hand I've been places and done things I wouldn't have if I'd been "conventional", and I've made many more friends than I ever lost...and jobs come and go.

I've always been different to the point of almost losing it all. The thing about being different is that you can change, conform to fit the rest of the world..........SASS matches ain't the only place where I'm a cowboy.........I've studied western history all my life. I've worn the clothes and shot the guns and rode the horses and lived by my understanding of the code....

Conform to fit the world??????..........Ta HELL with that!!

I'm still runnin' against the wind.

Folks 'round our town can't believe what they see when they look at me, but it's me and I won't change to fit the world....or to suit them. I don't want to look like or act like the "average Joe". I want to be who I am.

Everyone that has ever been kicked around for where they come from or where they are going are the ones that have been where I've been, and they are the ones that I choose to have as friends.

When you meet me someday down the road you will know what a true friend means to me.

~EE Taft~

Good choice of songs, Deja. I've always thought Bob Seger is the true great American rock poet. "Against the Wind" is certainly one of my favorites, although I am also a fan of "Like a Rock." Especially in light of those darn Chevy truck commercials where the dad's see their little girls growing up... My oldest is sixteen, but I hear "Twenty years now, Where'd they go?" and I know exactly what he means.

One of my favorite songs. My band did it live for a while. I never thought my voice did the song justice, but folks that heard it say different. Bob Seger is one of my vocal heroes, along with Gregg Allman and Levon Helm.

I've always been different to the point of almost losing it all. The thing about being different is that you can change, conform to fit the rest of the world..........SASS matches ain't the only place where I'm a cowboy.........I've studied western history all my life. I've worn the clothes and shot the guns and rode the horses and lived by my understanding of the code....

Folks 'round our town can't believe what they see when they look at me, but it's me and I won't change to fit the world....or to suit them. I don't want to look like or act like the "average Joe". I want to be who I am.

Everyone that has ever been kicked around for where they come from or where they are going are the ones that have been where I've been, and they are the ones that I choose to have as friends.

When you meet me someday down the road you will know what a true friend means to me.

~EE Taft~

Been there and still doin' dat, Bro !!B)

Mr. EE Taft, it wood be my honor to buy ya a real "Takillya" on da day we meet.:D

I wood even buy yur wife and kids somethin' too, ifin' dey be willin' to come along !

Heck, I love kids...alot

:wub:

I was gonna PM ya to invite ya to St. Jude's ta shoot with me...........

If'n ya can make it, It would be my honor ta buy you a drink too.

~EE Taft~

Good choice of songs, Deja. I've always thought Bob Seger is the true great American rock poet. "Against the Wind" is certainly one of my favorites, although I am also a fan of "Like a Rock." Especially in light of those darn Chevy truck commercials where the dad's see their little girls growing up... My oldest is sixteen, but I hear "Twenty years now, Where'd they go?" and I know exactly what he means.

Old time rock and roll. :D

Bob Seiger sings to my soul, nice to know I ain't the only one moved by his music.

"All Chuck's childern are out there playin' the Sticks

If you need a fix

Come back baby Rock and Roll never forgets"

Bugs

I been runnin against the wind all my life. Played in bands for years, had a music store, did lots of jobs in between gigs and have been self employed as a piano tuner since 1985. My own boss and I love it..............that with a nice little part time job at a gun shop/range, life is good and runnin against the wind has been fun. B)

Now if I could only change the awful weather in this godforesaken place!:angry:

It's Ohio. Wait twenty minutes... It'll change.

I've been bucking a headwind all my life. Lost some promotions and more that a few jobs over it, even lost some friends along the way.

On the other hand I've been places and done things I wouldn't have if I'd been "conventional", and I've made many more friends than I ever lost...and jobs come and go.

Isn't it strange how some people seem to just breeze thru it all pretty much unscathed, well except for illness and stuff of course. And others seem to have a head wind most of their lives? It does teach you grace though, and acceptance, and passion for the good stuff, and understand for the bad stuff..

~EE Taft~

EE's we like you just the way you are.. Being average is not interesting at all.. That is one thing that I do see is that running against the wind you live closer to the edge and you have a zest for life. No amount of kicking will keep you down .. so its a cool thing really.. My Dad was honest to the point of brutal. I have some of him in me where I want to hear the facts, and when I ask for the facts I can tell if someone is lying to me... most of the time I let it go, maybe I don't want to deal with it.. But I still know they are lying to me, and that is much worse than simply telling me the truth.. Cuz now... I am wondering what it is that you are hiding from me.. lol.. So I have to deal with the fact that someone I care about can lie to me, and they can also keep something from me and not feel bad about doing it. I can read people at times, I just choose to not believe it, cuz I want to think every thing is perfect.... But doubt that is cast brings on mistrust and it can ruin a friendship or relationship so fast ... I don't judge people really, cuz gosh if I was judged by God I am afraid I would be on the losing side of the day... But none the less mistrust starts a downward spiral for me, they lose face to me. I guess I have held myself to a high standard, maybe too high. But if you ask, I am going to tell you, if it is something silly like your shoes or hair heck who cares. but on the real issues in life, I will tell you how it is... Gets me in trouble alot.. lol

Songs have a amazing ability to touch my heart.. I have had several people say, oh, listen to this .. I love this song. .and it is a sad song.. and at times I can't listen.. cuz I don't want to see their hearts break before my eyes.. does that make sense? I love my friends, and family.. and the very thought that someone or something hurt them is more likely to almost make me cry than any amount of pain to myself. I can see sadness in their eyes when I hear a sad song that they like.. hard to explain.. But if you like Seger.. I think you get it... At 16 I wasn't allowed to date except go out with a group.. lol.. times have changed.. lol I know that has to be so hard ...

One of my favorite songs. My band did it live for a while. I never thought my voice did the song justice, but folks that heard it say different. Bob Seger is one of my vocal heroes, along with Gregg Allman and Levon Helm.

Well, uh let us be the judge.. got a utube link? Please? lol

Bob Seiger sings to my soul, nice to know I ain't the only one moved by his music.

"All Chuck's childern are out there playin' the Sticks

If you need a fix

Come back baby Rock and Roll never forgets"

Bugs

Against the wind does play to my soul in so many ways.

I been runnin against the wind all my life. Played in bands for years, had a music store, did lots of jobs in between gigs and have been self employed as a piano tuner since 1985. My own boss and I love it..............that with a nice little part time job at a gun shop/range, life is good and runnin against the wind has been fun. B)

Ryes.. you need to move west.. lol... move in with your son and tune pianos here.. lol.. Running against the wind, is a way of life for some of us. We set our sights on what we want, but we have a soul so deep that along the way we are drown over and over gain... Ryes.. in the end, we can look in the mirror and know we lived our lives with passion, sweet true passion. I don't want to miss a thing in life.. not a thing..

I've always loved 'Against the Wind' takes me back to my high school days.

So does this one, and it has a deeper message too:

Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day

You fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way

Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town

Waiting for someone or something to show you the way

Tired of lying in the sunshine

Staying home to watch the rain

And you are young and life is long

And there is time to kill today

And then one day you find

Ten years have got behind you

No one told you when to run

You missed the starting gun

And you run, and you run to catch up with the sun, but it's sinking

Racing around to come up behind you again

The sun is the same in a relative way, but you're older

Shorter of breath and one day closer to death

Every year is getting shorter

Never seem to find the time

Plans that either come to nought

Or half a page of scribbled lines

Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way

The time is gone

The song is over

Thought I'd something more to say.....

I've always loved 'Against the Wind' takes me back to my high school days.

So does this one, and it has a deeper message too:

Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day

You fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way

Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town

Waiting for someone or something to show you the way

Tired of lying in the sunshine

Staying home to watch the rain

And you are young and life is long

And there is time to kill today

And then one day you find

Ten years have got behind you

No one told you when to run

You missed the starting gun

And you run, and you run to catch up with the sun, but it's sinking

Racing around to come up behind you again

The sun is the same in a relative way, but you're older

Shorter of breath and one day closer to death

Every year is getting shorter

Never seem to find the time

Plans that either come to nought

Or half a page of scribbled lines

Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way

The time is gone

The song is over

Thought I'd something more to say.....

A sort of end of it all song? I like this one too..

Desperado"

Desperado, why don't you come to your senses?

You been out ridin' fences for so long now

Oh, you're a hard one

I know that you got your reasons

These things that are pleasin' you

Can hurt you somehow

Don't you draw the queen of diamonds, boy

She'll beat you if she's able

You know the queen of hearts is always your best bet

Now it seems to me, some fine things

Have been laid upon your table

But you only want the ones that you can't get

Desperado, oh, you ain't gettin' no younger

Your pain and your hunger, they're drivin' you home

And freedom, oh freedom well, that's just some people talkin'

Your prison is walking through this world all alone

Don't your feet get cold in the winter time?

The sky won't snow and the sun won't shine

It's hard to tell the night time from the day

You're losin' all your highs and lows

Ain't it funny how the feeling goes away?

Desperado, why don't you come to your senses?

Come down from your fences, open the gate

It may be rainin', but there's a rainbow above you

You better let somebody love you, before it's too late

I don't know that I would call it an end of it all song so much as a song about how many of us live our lives. Waiting for a wake up call when we're young, but by the time it comes we're already growing old, so we hurry to make up time, but time is flying away from us faster and faster. The world hasn't changed, but we have, growing older faster every day, and when the end comes, we can't believe it, we thought our lives would mean more, but it's too late. the song is over.

It's a sad song, but one that fits many people. It could mean many things to many people, but for me it says to act, to enjoy life and make the most of it while you can, cause it will be over far to soon and there are no second chances.

I love the Eagles and have seen them in concert many times. Desparado is one of my favorite songs by them, but it doesn't speak to me at the same level as Time does. Just personal preference I guess.

I don't know that I would call it an end of it all song so much as a song about how many of us live our lives. Waiting for a wake up call when we're young, but by the time it comes we're already growing old, so we hurry to make up time, but time is flying away from us faster and faster. The world hasn't changed, but we have, growing older faster every day, and when the end comes, we can't believe it, we thought our lives would mean more, but it's too late. the song is over.

It's a sad song, but one that fits many people. It could mean many things to many people, but for me it says to act, to enjoy life and make the most of it while you can, cause it will be over far to soon and there are no second chances.

thats a good way to live.. passion for life is life ... Sorry I missed the point... you know chicks.. lol.. just kidding..

I'm not sure I do know chicks, that's part of what makes ya'll so interesting.

Oh, you want to know the mystery??? Okay.. here goes.. shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

We dont know either.. lol

Your posts are always fun Deja, and your name is well chosen.

I do know that I'm on eastern time and my 90 plus students will expect me to teach the he!! out of them tomorrow...have a good evening.

lol.. Thanks.. I love posting on here cuz ya'll are so funny and fun.. Have a night night... Hugs.. Deja

Bob Seiger and the Eagles? I think I'm in love with Deja. Rock lyrics have always been special to me, they so ofter express my feelings. Everytime I've gone a bit to far "against the wind" and lost a job I seem to start singing

"All alone at the end of the evening,

When the bright lights have faded to blue.

I was thinking about a woman that loved me,

and I never knew.

You know I've always been a dreamer

spend my life rinnin round

and it's so hard to change

can't seem to settle down,

But the dreams I've seen lately

Keep turnin' out

and burnin' out

and turnin out' the same

So put me on a highway,

and show me a sign

and take it,

to the limit,

one more time"

The day my daughter was born when I left the hospital, I gotr in the car turned it on and waht was palying on the radio?

Tommy James

"Chrimson and Clover"

"I don't hardly know her, but I think I could love her"

My daughter picked it for the Father Daughter dance at her wedding reception.

Bugs

DV

Old rock an roll can be expressive at times . In the long run I think Hank Williams SR and Merle Haggard seem to have wrote my life . I think folks hear a song differant than others do . Case in point , the song " He stopped lovin' her today" , most think of it as a love song ,it seems to be a pain song to some . I would assume it would be in line with your outlook on life and your experances in life . Most songs do have a double meening , if you listen close .

Chickasaw Bill

The queen of diamonds let you down,

She was just an empty fable,

The queen of hearts you say you never met,

Your twisted fate has found you out,

And it's finally turned the tables,

Stole your dreams and paid you with regret,

Desperado,

Is there gonna' be anything left,is there gonna' be

Desperado,

You sealed your fate up a long time ago,

Desperado,

Is there gonna' be anything,

Only stardust,

Desperado,

Maybe tomorrow,

DESPERADO: reprise

Guess I'm feelin' a little down this mornin'

I'll be alright. :rolleyes:

How about the chorus from Steely Dan's "Deacon Blues"

They got a name for the winners in the world, I wanna name when I lose

They call Alabama the Crimson tide, Call me Deacon Blues

The words to that song are one of my all time favorites, I still get goose bumps when I hear that.

Steely Dan is my all time favorite group, they took rock'n roll to the next level and used the best musicians they could find B)

Songs have a amazing ability to touch my heart.. I have had several people say, oh, listen to this .. I love this song. .and it is a sad song.. and at times I can't listen.. cuz I don't want to see their hearts break before my eyes.. does that make sense? I love my friends, and family.. and the very thought that someone or something hurt them is more likely to almost make me cry than any amount of pain to myself. I can see sadness in their eyes when I hear a sad song that they like.. hard to explain.. But if you like Seger.. I think you get it... At 16 I wasn't allowed to date except go out with a group.. lol.. times have changed.. lol I know that has to be so hard ...

I understand completely. In high school I was in choir and ensemble (no Glee jokes please). My ensemble partner and I were incredibly close friends. More than a few people who would see us together thought we were dating, although we never did. She got a job working for a small college, and was murdered in her office one afternoon. Fast forward to the present, and my daughters for Christmas 2009 had a tape of our choir converted to CD for me. My oldest daughter and I were driving one day and she asked why I would skip certain songs. It was difficult to explain to her that they were the ones that her voice would ring clear in and they still hurt too much to listen to sometimes, nearly 25 years later. I can think of other examples, but trust me, I know what you mean.

Archived