SASS Wire Forum

Dumb newbie question...part deux

J.J. Helms

Good evening gents! I've perused the forum(s) for some time now, as well as, taken a reasonable look at the SASS Handbook(s). And, enjoyed many other resources along the way (curtrich, etc.) Lots of wonderful information to be had. One answer I haven't found just yet (probably right in front of my nose, though) regards the use of two revolvers in competition. Is it possible/legal, for example to use an 1858 Remington New Army conversion and switch to a freshly, loaded cylinder after the first five rounds? I'm guessing the answer is 'no', but I just haven't seen it clearly spelled out thus far. 'Course, I'm not particularly bright and likely missed it along the way. Thanks for your help!

There is nothing in the rules that precludes you from using just 1 revolver of any kind and then reloading that revolver......

You aren't going to be very high in the scoring, but in that category it is possible you will be the only entry and therefor win the match!

Just come and shoot and have fun.

Howdy JJ and Welcome. Eventually you're gonna need two revolvers, but in the mean time take what you have. Start going to some matches, most folks are willing to loan you what you need to get started, we're wierd that way :wacko: , plus it's a good way to try some different firearms before you buy. :) The main thing is start going, Good Luck

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

As I am not to sure, when can the second cylinder be primed. Sure would hate to try to put a primed and charged cylinder into a reciever (quicker, but well, um). I had heard not till it was in the reciver, but I dont know, and could not find that in the books.

Howdy

Been watching Pale Rider, huh? There may not be anything against it in the rules, but most scenarios plainly state in the stage directions 'two pistols loaded with five rounds, hammer down on an empty chamber'. That is not the same as one pistol and two cylinders. If you show up with one 1858 and two cylinders, you are going to have to get permission from the match director to shoot it differently than the instructions state.

I have a couple of 1858s that I sometimes shoot with conversion cylinders. I dunno about the new Uberti conversion model that has been designed from the ground up as a cartridge gun, but at least with my R&D cylinders, keeping a separate cylinder loaded would not be practical at all. First off, the cylinders cost more than $200 each. Secondly, at least with the R&D, there is nothing to keep the cartridges in the cylinder. The cap is a loose fit on the cylinder. It is only secured in place when the cylinder is in the gun. If you had it in a pouch in your belt you would have to handle it very carefully so that the cap did not fall off and the cartridges did not fall out while you were switching cylinders. Not too difficult at the loading table, but not too easy on the firing line without a table handy.

It ain't as simple as Clint makes it look.

The cylinders are loaded at the loading table or near the loading table if you have a special setup on you gun cart.

The cylinder in the revolver is capped at the loading table. The second cylinder must be capped on the firing line and on the clock.

Page 22 of the SASS Shooters Handbook. "A complete reload for percussion revolver

shooters is handled by staging a loaded, uncapped revolver down range or switching

uncapped cylinders and capping on the clock".

Thanks very much to each of you for your thoughts and sharing of information. I definitely had the Pale Rider example in mind...

Thanks, too, for pointing out specifics in terms of R & D conversion cost, match/stage specific criteria, range permission likely required, and the specific rules noted in the SASS Shooters Handbook.

I knew the answer was likely under my nose and I just needed a little redirection. Good thing it wasn't a snake waiting for me!

I'll thank you all, in advance, for the next series of dumb questions likely to emanate from the ol' fingertips!

J.J.

Alright...one 1858 Remington New Army in hand and another on the way. Both are/will be 8" cap 'n' ball. Where do I find a decent starter rig that won't break the bank? I don't know if I'm using correct terminology, but I'm going to say I'm looking for a non-cross draw (double stongside, duelist, I dunno?) set up.

Keep in mind I'm already stretching 'it' with the new Pietas, a new Henry Big Boy in 357/38, and a new Stoeger SxS (gonna send the money order to Goatneck on Monday). I may have nothing left for ammo or a rig! And clothing? Who in the world knows how I'll take care of that issue? I'm hoping a pair of cowboy cut jeans (got a couple of those), current boots, anyone of my ol' cowboy hats, and a work shirt will suffice in the interim. I'd be looking to shoot in the Frontiersman category and recognize the attire isn't very accurate...just like my shooting I'm sure!

Josh

There is a pard in GA that does it all the time. He’s pretty good at it and it looks like fun if you’re not worried about the extra time. I think he had a big loop kinda’ like a shotgun loop on steroids that he used to hold the cylinders and he would just swap em’ out as needed. The BEST part was every time he swapped em’ the whole posse would say “prrreaacher” in a haunting voice…..I’m laughing right now just thinking about it

Ebay is just one place of many

http://stores.ebay.com/lazy-luis-shop

Thanks for the continued thoughts and ideas! Regarding the Henry Big Boy, it looks like I'm too late to take that particular piece of advice. Purchased it just prior to the holidays. We'll see how it cycles this weekend as I'm taking it out for the first time.

Does a forum, via SASS, exist for cap 'n' ball users? Black powder revolvers are new territory for me!

J.J.

Cowboy Junky:

Wish I could see that fella in GA work that revolver (along with the "ppreeacchherrr" comment in the background). That'd be alright!

J.J.

You might want to reconsider buying the Big Boy.They're not that reliable and some I've seen have feed problems.

The Henry Big Boy is extremely reliable. Probably more so than the other rifles you may consider that haven't any work done. With use they smooth out very well and are not as length sensitive as many you find. The Henry is heavier than most and therefore is not as fast on target but I manage to unload mine in around 4 seconds. They shoot black powder quite well and cleanup is fairly easy.

If you buy one, just remember not to over tighten the lever screw. It is meant to be loose.

Thanks Ace_of_Hearts! I'm feeling better already about my purchase! It is definitely a heavy rifle, but that's why I lift weights all the time :lol:

I'll try to provide a range report after this weekend's shooting excursion. I hope to put the Remingtons and Henry through the works. The coach gun will be ordered tomorrow...

J.J.

Just like the Marlin, the Big Boy prefers ammo that is Truncated Cone and loaded at about 1.5 overall length....

Your mileage may vary.

Thanks for the continued thoughts and ideas! Regarding the Henry Big Boy, it looks like I'm too late to take that particular piece of advice. Purchased it just prior to the holidays. We'll see how it cycles this weekend as I'm taking it out for the first time.

Does a forum, via SASS, exist for cap 'n' ball users? Black powder revolvers are new territory for me!

J.J.

Wish you all the luck with the HBB, if it doesn't work out you can always sell it. For C & B check out "The Darksiders Den" and "The Dark Arts" via CAS City. Also "The Dark Side" and "BP Reference Library" via the Open Range. Good Luck

Darksiders Den

Dark Arts

The Dark Side

BP Reference Library

Jefro :ph34r:

If the Big Ugly boy is legal for Frontiersman, it shouldn't be. Frontiersman is the category more than any other that the participants place a premium on historical accuracy which the Big Ugly Boy is the antithesis of.

Also every BUB I have seen brought to the line choked. at least 10 or 12 or so. Jammamatics every one. Folks buy them, struggle thru one match trying to make it thru one stage without a jam then show up at the next match with a more suitable rifle for the game having sold or traded off the BUB.

My advice is to try to get some of your money back out of that tomato stake/boat anchor and get a real rifle that actually works for CAS. For Frontiersman, that would be an 1860 Henry or if you are a little more gamey an 1866.

Alright...one 1858 Remington New Army in hand and another on the way. Both are/will be 8" cap 'n' ball. Where do I find a decent starter rig that won't break the bank? I don't know if I'm using correct terminology, but I'm going to say I'm looking for a non-cross draw (double stongside, duelist, I dunno?) set up.

Keep in mind I'm already stretching 'it' with the new Pietas, a new Henry Big Boy in 357/38, and a new Stoeger SxS (gonna send the money order to Goatneck on Monday). I may have nothing left for ammo or a rig! And clothing? Who in the world knows how I'll take care of that issue? I'm hoping a pair of cowboy cut jeans (got a couple of those), current boots, anyone of my ol' cowboy hats, and a work shirt will suffice in the interim. I'd be looking to shoot in the Frontiersman category and recognize the attire isn't very accurate...just like my shooting I'm sure!

Josh

An acceptable rig can be had from Guns 4 us in Ridgecrest, Calif. They have an ebay store Guns 4 us

Lone Dog:

Thanks for the honesty...I already had the same thoughts from an authenticity stand point. But, I must admit I purchased the HBB/BUB with more than CAS in mind. I hope to use it as an all-purpose rifle for deer (357), small game (38), and general plinking. A more authentic rifle would be wonderful and will, hopefully, pan out with time, patience, and raised funds. Until then, it looks like I'll have to see what I can get out of the Henry. It's definitely not perfect, but I'm optimistic! :D

Thanks, again, to you and all others for the continued advice, suggestions, and knowledgeable feedback. I'll check out the BP sites and continue to search the various online rig stores, etc. A couple of nice folks have also responded on the PM side with great information.

I continue to be excited despite a few potential firearm problems along the way!

J.J.

Archived