SASS Wire Forum

38 Special Reloading Question

Shotgun Bandit

OK here goes.

I'm loading 38 ...90 grain boolits .....

Boolit A is 358 diam chronos at 650 fps

Boolit B is 359 diam chronos at 475 fps

Same powder......Same powder charge....Same press....Same crimp....... Same Gun........Shot on the same day with the same Chrono.:wacko:

So my Question is........WHY ?????..........................................Thanks Bandit

OK here goes.

Same powder......Same powder charge....Same press....Same crimp....... Same Gun........Shot on the same day with the same Chrono.:wacko:

So my Question is........WHY ?????..........................................Thanks Bandit

Neither makes the SASS power factor of 60.

OK here goes.

So my Question is........WHY ?????..........................................

Ain't it obvious?...the larger diameter bullet encounters more drag resistance in the rifling (tighter fit) which causes it to slow down before exiting the barrel.

^_^

:P

GC.....The reason I was testing was to see what the PF was........Since it is obvious they don't make it......The Question still remains WHY......Bandit

Zackly what PWB sed.

If you were shooting it in a rifle, that would make alot of sense to me.

If you were shooting it in a pistol, I would think the velocities would not be as great a difference.

PLUS: if your using a fast burning powder, somewhere during the short time frame that the bullet is still in the barrel, all your powder has burnt and the 'push' of the expanding gases has started to deminish therefore the tightness of your bullet is causing greater drag.

Course, I could be wrong. I ain't slept in a Holiday Inn in a loooooong time.

..........Widder

P W and Widder...........Thanks..........I wuz thinkin that the larger boolit would cause more pressure to build and it would be faster. Thanks again .........Bandit (who is feelin dumber than usual)

Serveral things COULD BE happening.

1. The bullets could have been cast from different alloys. Using Very hard to very soft bullets have produced some interesting variaion in velocites for me.

2. If this is a light load and it looks to be, powder posistion within the case can and has for me caused variation in velocities.

3. Using regular primers rather than Mag primers with a light powder charge can cause incomplete combustion and therefore lower velocities than expected.

4. The larger bullet just hates being resized and leads the crap out of your forcing cone, barrel.

5. A little bit of all of these.

6. I'm totally wrong and its none of these.

Just one more example of ballistic results that are counter-intuitive and illogical.

Just one more example of why we should respect the loading chart's minimum and maximum load data, and not go to extremes outside those limits. ;)

SB,

Were you using all the same cases. Nickle will not give you the same velocity as brass cases. Nickle does not expand at lower pressures. And, some brass has different case thickness and will expand differently at lower pressures. Did you only use two rounds in your chrono test. IMHO these loads are way underpowered and you are setting yourself up for problems. When testing use the same brand of brass for each load, each round also needs to be the same temperature. I'd load at least 5 of each.

LL'

Hey Shotgun Bandit!

Sunday Morning and the coffee is good and its drizzlin rain here in Houston, Texas - :D

Couple of common items, Based on velocities, your shooting a pistol. ( I Hope)

I load 90gr bullets in my Colts/USFA's, type of powder and primers play major roles.

The bullet,regardless of diameter... not so much. Although, I use the .359 most of the time.

Brass has to be consistent, cracks even little ones around the lip can really release pressure and you will get low readings, which are correct (usually). Do not use beatup, discolored brass.

Look at the brass after you have fired 5 rounds through the chronograph, - any with powder left in them? sides scorched? any with split lips? Primer looks flat or kinda pushed in?

What kind of gun are you shooting? Older guns can have one or more cylinders holes out of specs. This can cause the brass not to expand to the confines of the cylinder and lowers the reading, which is correct.

All in all, you now have a base on which to build from. :FlagAm:

You found out that your gun shoots inconsistent velocities with this load. Review your information and maybe all you need is Magnum primers( I am convinced that they are the best ) . Maybe a bump up of half a grain. Maybe a change of powder.

Your in control. :D

If you need some loading info PM me and we can exchange thoughts.

Great luck and be safe.

Oklahoma Dee

The powder residue from the 1st wimp loads is fouling the barrel so badly that the second round of wimp loads cant fight their way outta the crud in the barrel. :)

Load 'em up and let em fly,RING that steel,let em know ya ain[t a feard a no recoil no how !

Archived