SASS Wire Forum

passing on values

Carolina Cowboy

Strange thread

I told my son(38) I was going to buy the grandsons(9 and 12) a pocket knife for their birthday....he was like, are you crazy? Not really, they need to know how to use one...he said POP really, they have no idea how or what to do with a knife, I am thinking, just what do you do with a knife?

I then realized that what my son was worried about was, they might cut each other, but I taught my son what a knife was.....in talking to my son, I realized something....yes I had taught him what a knife was, and how to use one, but due to my own agenda, I spent more time on how to prepare him for college, how to balance a check book, how important studying for a test was, how to treat people, how to respect your elders....but somehow, I forgot how to teach him how to teach his kids how to handle a knife, or a gun......so now, I need to teach him and them about the fun a pocket knife can be....but also need to teach them that they are not allowed to take it to school because it is a dangerous weapon, so PawPaw you are giving us a dangerous weapon? ...I am no dummy, I care about my Son and Grandsons, but have realized that there is a lot of things that have changed....when I was young, we knew a knife would cut you, we knew(not sure how or why) a gun would hurt you, we knew even before we got either a knife or gun, that they were dangerous if you handled them like a total idoit, it was something we were not born with, but knew by the time we were crawling, now we need to teach not only our kids , but their kids these things, I was shocked that it was a short coming on my part that my grandkids at their age did not know how to use a knife, much less how to handle a gun...there is a lot of you that have done that, but there is a lot like me that somehow missed passing that on to our kids....I want to ask each of you to reach out to your kids and grandkids and see if they can and are comfortable with a pocket knife, and if they are comfortable with a gun, if not, fix it! They are the future of our sport and guns in general...I have seen my shortcomings, and will try to fix it, think about this, if you have done everything you can, then your kids and grandkids will be able to decide for themselves if they want to be a shooter or own a gun...it will not be because(like in my case) their parents were not given the right tools and knowledge to pass on their kids what guns and our inhertiage is all about...I am buying a 22 for my son to teach both him and my grandkids just how much fun a gun and be and give.....

A very shamed parent and grand parent

I gave my son and grandson new pocket knives for Christmas. My daughter-in-law dang near had a stroke. I told her the boy's going on ten years old and he needs to know how and when to use a knife, and how and when not to. I finally got her calmed down when I explained that except for the size and folding blades it was no different than the dozen or so knives in the big block in her kitchen.

He'll come to visit grandpa and I'll teach him. He lives in Las Vegas so he understands what happens at Grandpa's stays at Grandpa's. We'll work it out. So will you.

Another year or so and me and the little Rossi .22 pump gun are gonna teach the boy something else his momma won't like. Then I'll get him one of his own.

My granddad gave me my first pocket knife when I was six, and I've carried one in my pocket almost every day of my life. Each of my children, three sons and a daughter, received a pocket knife from dad on their seventh birthday. All my grandkids who have turned seven have done the same...received a pocket knife from grandpa. I can't think of a better way to say "I trust you" than to give a young person their own pocket knife, along with plenty of instruction on how to use it.

They realize they can't take it to school, but whenever they visit grandpa on "the farm," they have plenty of chores where they can use their knives...cutting the string on hay bales, making shavings for the evening campfire, etc.

It's never too late to start.

Strange thread

I told my son(38) I was going to buy the grandsons(9 and 12) a pocket knife for their birthday....he was like, are you crazy? Not really, they need to know how to use one...he said POP really, they have no idea how or what to do with a knife, I am thinking, just what do you do with a knife?

I then realized that what my son was worried about was, they might cut each other, but I taught my son what a knife was.....in talking to my son, I realized something....yes I had taught him what a knife was, and how to use one, but due to my own agenda, I spent more time on how to prepare him for college, how to balance a check book, how important studying for a test was, how to treat people, how to respect your elders....but somehow, I forgot how to teach him how to teach his kids how to handle a knife, or a gun......so now, I need to teach him and them about the fun a pocket knife can be....but also need to teach them that they are not allowed to take it to school because it is a dangerous weapon, so PawPaw you are giving us a dangerous weapon? ...I am no dummy, I care about my Son and Grandsons, but have realized that there is a lot of things that have changed....when I was young, we knew a knife would cut you, we knew(not sure how or why) a gun would hurt you, we knew even before we got either a knife or gun, that they were dangerous if you handled them like a total idoit, it was something we were not born with, but knew by the time we were crawling, now we need to teach not only our kids , but their kids these things, I was shocked that it was a short coming on my part that my grandkids at their age did not know how to use a knife, much less how to handle a gun...there is a lot of you that have done that, but there is a lot like me that somehow missed passing that on to our kids....I want to ask each of you to reach out to your kids and grandkids and see if they can and are comfortable with a pocket knife, and if they are comfortable with a gun, if not, fix it! They are the future of our sport and guns in general...I have seen my shortcomings, and will try to fix it, think about this, if you have done everything you can, then your kids and grandkids will be able to decide for themselves if they want to be a shooter or own a gun...it will not be because(like in my case) their parents were not given the right tools and knowledge to pass on their kids what guns and our inhertiage is all about...I am buying a 22 for my son to teach both him and my grandkids just how much fun a gun and be and give.....

A very shamed parent and grand parent

What a very sweet post... few even realize that in some ways we are to blame for our kids and grandkids not understanding the importance of self protection. It is our heritage, and theirs and few even know that they need to have a firearm just incase.. Guns were issued to protect our nation from foreigh problems as much as to protect our rights here in the Good ole USA. My father put a gun in my hands at a very young age so i could kill varment, never had to use it too feed us. But still guns are for protection, they can feed you, they will insure our rights an a nation of God fearing people who want a Democracy. You have nothing to be ashamed of Carolinas... you are doing a very cool thing here, getting us to wake up.. Thanks..

I've always considered a pocket knife as just another tool and try to carry one everyday. We should teach everyone the value of having a knife or multi-tool on our person. Think about being in crashed vehicle hanging by your jammed seat belt or that poor dog being strangled by his own leash when it got stuck on the fence. Giving a knife to someone without explaining its uses as a tool is just wrong. I worked 28 years as firefighter and carried and used my Buck knife many times, like cutting rope, cutting rubber molding from a car window to rescue a person. Plus, when I see a pretty rose I can cut it and give it to my lovely Lady.

I've always considered a pocket knife as just another tool and try to carry one everyday. We should teach everyone the value of having a knife or multi-tool on our person. Think about being in crashed vehicle hanging by your jammed seat belt or that poor dog being strangled by his own leash when it got stuck on the fence. Giving a knife to someone without explaining its uses as a tool is just wrong. I worked 28 years as firefighter and carried and used my Buck knife many times, like cutting rope, cutting rubber molding from a car window to rescue a person. Plus, when I see a pretty rose I can cut it and give it to my lovely Lady.

Oh, gosh it reminds me of the number of times you have to use your Gerber to cut a horse loose from a trailer who has been tired for too many hours.. Knives do play an important role in our lives.. as well as guns do.

Strange thread

I told my son(38) I was going to buy the grandsons(9 and 12) a pocket knife for their birthday...., I need to teach him and them about the fun a pocket knife can be....but also need to teach them that they are not allowed to take it to school because it is a dangerous weapon, so PawPaw you are giving us a dangerous weapon? ..

Tom Muley has it quite right, A knife, or a gun for that matter, is a TOOL. When we grew up, that's what we were taught, maybe not in so many words, but by what we SAW.

When our parents of grandparents used a knife for any myriad of mundane tasks, they were demonstrating it's use as a tool. Forty Rod's analogy to his Daughter in law's knife block in the kitchen is the perfect example. In the same way, when we watched Roy, Gene, The Duke, or any of our Cowboy heros use a gun, it was as a tool. They were using them as a defensive tool. To my mind, THAT was the distinction between a weapon and a tool.

Can a knife or gun be a weapon? Of course. The difference between tool and weapon is what we must teach our children.

My granddad gave me my first pocket knife when I was six, and I've carried one in my pocket almost every day of my life. Each of my children, three sons and a daughter, received a pocket knife from dad on their seventh birthday. All my grandkids who have turned seven have done the same...received a pocket knife from grandpa. I can't think of a better way to say "I trust you" than to give a young person their own pocket knife, along with plenty of instruction on how to use it.

They realize they can't take it to school, but whenever they visit grandpa on "the farm," they have plenty of chores where they can use their knives...cutting the string on hay bales, making shavings for the evening campfire, etc.

It's never too late to start.

======================================================

My granddad gave me my first pocket knife when I was age 6 also. It had a red crackle finish and one blade, I've never seen another one like it anywhere since, and it was my prize possession at the time. I lost it not long after that, and a couple more that Granddad gave me over the course of the years. But, I still have his old Remington-UMC pocket knife, his whetstones, and the old folding "Dog's head" K-Bar that belonged to his father. I don't carry either one, 'cause I'm afraid of losing them too.

===================================================

I carried a pocket knife during the 27 years I was a Corrections Officer, even though I wasn't supposed to after our department installed walk-through metal detectors at the employee/visitor entrance. There was one time after that when I used my knife to cut down an inmate who was in the process of hanging himself with a bedsheet rope. When I submitted my incident report, I had to say that I "removed" the makeshift rope from the top cell cross bar while my partner supported the inmate, instead of saying that I "cut" it down.

Carried one all my life...sometimes a couple...three if ya count the leatherman. Be nekkid as a jaybird without one. There was kind of an unwritten, but enforced, rule at my small school. When you reached 5th grade the teachers figured you were responsible enough and everybody had one.

My citified grandsons all have em. My biggest fear is that, like youngsters are apt to do, they forget and take one to school with them. Crazy world its come to. :(

Graduated '83 in Rockville, right in the heart of Montgomery County, Maryland. Went to school 10th, 11th, and 12th grades with a Buck 110 Folding Hunter on my belt everyday (was always there on numerous trips to the principals office, although never the reason).

Try walking through the front door today with 110 on your belt!

MTC

Tom Muley has it quite right, A knife, or a gun for that matter, is a TOOL. When we grew up, that's what we were taught, maybe not in so many words, but by what we SAW.

When our parents of grandparents used a knife for any myriad of mundane tasks, they were demonstrating it's use as a tool. Forty Rod's analogy to his Daughter in law's knife block in the kitchen is the perfect example. In the same way, when we watched Roy, Gene, The Duke, or any of our Cowboy heros use a gun, it was as a tool. They were using them as a defensive tool. To my mind, THAT was the distinction between a weapon and a tool.

Can a knife or gun be a weapon? Of course. The difference between tool and weapon is what we must teach our children.

What a smart way of saying it... And ya'll are correct.. it is a tool. We used our 22's for gophers to save our crop and keep us fed.. A knife can save your life. Just think of a paniced horse tied to a post,... a knife is the one tool that can save him.. or being caught up in barb wire.. a knife can loosen the staples that hold it to the post.. I carried a Gerber for years in AZ when I rode horse back, and I used it a couple times for horse.. the other times for peanut butter on bread.. both were very much worth it.. lol

We used our 22's for gophers to save our crop and keep us fed..

I've eaten a lot of strange things in my life, but I have to admit, I've never tried gopher. :wacko:

I've eaten a lot of strange things in my life, but I have to admit, I've never tried gopher. :wacko:

Funny... I meant the save the corn for the cows.. lol... Geesh,... BEEF is the food of champions.. lol

I've got a fair number of pocket knives and never leave the house without at least one of them. When I was growing up, virtually all the boys carried a pocket knife, including to school and as boys sometimes will, we had the occasional fight or scuffle over something or other. But the thought of actually pulling a knife and using it on someone just did not occur to us because we were raised better than that. Granddad used to have a saying about the lowlifes who used knives on other folks. He'd say that "Knives are for _____ & _______ !" (You'll have to fill in the blanks yourselves, 'cause it's not suitable to repeat here.)

Howdy, I have always been around guns most of my life Thanks To My Dad and his dad and his dad. I started both of my boys out with a BB gun and when they showed me that they could control and respect that I bought a Henry single shot 22 rifle and once they showed me they could control that and learn how to clean it I purchased a 22 pistol and taught them how to use that. I hope that one day that they will pass this a long to there kids unless I get to beat them to it. I wish that I have found CAS sooner before my kids started finding out about girls LOL.

From the time I was about 10yo, my Dad would walk up to me and say "Let me see your knife" It wasnt because he needed to cut something, that was just his way of making sure I had one in my pocket. "If you have pants on....you better have a knife in your pocket"

Growing up where and when I did, it was no problem carrying a knife daily, even to school. All us boys would carry one, and most of the girls as well. We knew what they were...tools.

Like I said, everyone had them. Seen some knockdown dragout fights, near fights, and plumb bluffing but never did I see anyone break the code of honor by brandishing a knife or any other improvised weapon. Times have changed.

From the time I was about 10yo, my Dad would walk up to me and say "Let me see your knife" It wasnt because he needed to cut something, that was just his way of making sure I had one in my pocket. "If you have pants on....you better have a knife in your pocket"

Ah, yes. My nine-year old grandson came up to me one day and asked, "Hey, Grandpa, do you have your pocket knife with you?" My response was, "Do I have my pants on?"

Well, a few days later, his mother (my daughter-in-law) needed to cut some string on a package and asked him if he had his pocket knife with him. He replied with, "Do I have my pants on?" His dad wasn't too pleased with that kind of answer and explained to the boy that just because Grandpa says something, we can't always say that to our mothers. :D That's become one of the standard jokes in our family now.

Archived