SASS Wire Forum

Reloading 45 LC

Captain Bill Burt

I've heard that the large case volume can be an issue when reloading 45 LC. Any suggestions on some 'fluffy' powders to use and at what weights? I've shot some standard 200 grain bullets and recoil wasn't an issue, so I don't want to load so light that a squib might occur, but I would like something that would take up a fair amount of case volume and is inexpensive. Any help would be much appreciated.

Trailboss fills the case pretty good from what I have heard, now alot of people like Trailboss, some like Clays, Tightgroup, many powders out there that are good, but with Trailboss you can see the powder really good and not worry about a overcharge.

All for now JD Trampas

TRAIL BOSS... I load it behind a 200grn bullet. It is Fluffy stuff, looks like little donuts. It is specially formulated for good ole lead bullet/low velocity. If your looking for something that takes up case space this is the powder! Hard to double charge and miss it with TRAIL BOSS.

In my guns Clays was a lot cleaner than Trail Boss, I use it in .38 special, .45 Colt, 45 ACP and 12 gauge. I like the fact I can do it all with 1 powder.

Randy

http://wartracecowboys.blogspot.com/

I've found that nothing fills a case like Goex. ;):lol:

I've found that nothing fills a case like Goex. ;):lol:

+35 grains, UB.

If you must shoot smokeless, then Trail Boss, Clays and Titegroup will all be excellent for light loads.

gl, GJ

I've found that nothing fills a case like Goex.

I have found that Schuetzen fills it better.

But when I first started out in Cowboy shooting I used Unique in all my 45 Colt and 44-40 loads. It is reasonably 'fluffy' and fills the case more than some other powders do, although a double charge will still fit in, so you have to pay attention. Which you should be doing anyway. You can find all the loads you need for Unique at the Alliant website.

Alliant

Bear in mind, for both the Cowboy loads and the 'standard' pistol and revolver loads they are only showing MAX loads. If you send me a PM I will send you my favorite 45 Colt Unique load. Bear in mind, it is a little bit heavier than most like.

P.S. As far as 'expensive' concerned, bear in mind that you get 7000 grains to a pound of powder. With my favorite load you will get a bit less than 950 loads out of a pound of Unique. That is really cheap when you consider that I only get about 200 loads out of a pound of Black Powder. You will probably get more loads with some other powders, but cost is relative.

I find that Clays does quite well in 38/357 and 45 LC, as well as in 12 ga. shotshells. Very efficient and very clean burning. I was never very happy with the results I got from Trail Boss, particularly in the 45 LC. I think Clays will work very well in straight wall pistol cases from .32 caliber thru 45 caliber. Of course there are other powders that work fine also.

That old saw about double charging a load is IMHO pure rhetoric, and won't happen if you use correct loading procedures and pay attention to what you are doing. After over 57 years of reloading metalics, I have yet to double charge a load, and by being diligent and careful, I never will.

Most any fast burning Shotgun powder such as Clays, American Select, TiteGroup, Red Dot, Clay Dot, Nitro 100, e3, etc., will work pretty well in all pistol calibers and 12 ga. shotshells. However, Alliant and Hodgdon both publish load data strictly aimed at Cowboy Action shooting, and that data is a great basis for loading our CAS ammo.

RBK

That old saw about double charging a load is IMHO pure rhetoric, and won't happen if you use correct loading procedures and pay attention to what you are doing. After over 57 years of reloading metalics, I have yet to double charge a load, and by being diligent and careful, I never will.

Well, I'm glad you are so confident and can categorically state that you will never double charge a case. I do not consider myself to be quite so infallible. Then again, I have only been reloading for about ten years, so what do I know. A double charge of Unique will absolutely fit into a 45 Colt case. That is why I eyeball each and every case I load with it, whether on my single stage press or on my progressive. That's another nice thing about Unique, a double charge will stand out like a sore thumb if you should happen to encounter one. Not necessarily so with 3 flakes of Whiz Bang. I will continue to eyeball each case of Unique because strange things can and will happen. I am a firm believer in Mr Murphy.

For a smokeless powder in 45 I found that Green Dot worked rather well.

It's bulky enough to provide about a 60% case fill so the odds of a double charge are reduced.

It's also a good shotgun powder.

However, BP or Triple 7 is much better.

RBK

Anybody reloading has got ta be careful, but if I said what you did I'd be skeered ta pull tha hannel again, even wid a powder sensor by golly. Tha werds never will an ain't gonna happen have a way of biting ye in tha arse.

RRR

Guest Hoss Carpenter, SASS Life 7843

I losd 250 grain 45s behind Bullseye and it works great and is easy on the hand.

Hoss Carpenter

CBB, you have gotten a lot of good replies. I personally prefer Trailboss for several reasons -- it meters well through my Dillon, it is hard to double charge, it is accurate at minimal loads (I use the lowest recommended load behind a 200 gr. Moulton Lead bullet), and it is relatively clean shooting.

Loads are not allowed to be posted on the forum, but feel free to PM me if you wish.

I losd 250 grain 45s behind Bullseye and it works great and is easy on the hand.

Hoss Carpenter

When my son gave me my first reloading equipment several years ago, he also gave me a can of Bullseye. It worked great then, and I've never seen any reason to change to something else. Behind 200 and 250 grain RNFP .45 Desparado bullets it works perfect. Especially at danged near the maximum recommended charge. Never had a cleanup problem, it measures exact every time (I eyeball EVERY case, and weigh about every 10th one).

Ornery Cuss

That cost per round might not be an issue for some folks... but for us workin' types, it is. I've used Unique, Select, RedDot, Clays and 700X. I've finally settled on RedDot for my smokeless rounds. Here's one of the reasons why (1):

Description.......................................................................Price/can.......Median/Ld...Price/Rnd

IMR Trail Boss Smokeless Powder 5 lb..................... $ 98.99............... 6............... $ .0170

IMR Trail Boss Smokeless Powder 9 oz..................... $ 14.29................ 6.............. $ .0163

Alliant Green Dot Smokeless Powder 1 lb.................. $ 16.79................ 6.9........... $ .0166

Alliant RedDot Smokeless Powder 1 lb....................... $ 16.79................ 6.4........... $ .0153

Alliant Unique Smokeless Powder 1 lb........................ $ 16.79................ 7.5............ $ .0180

Hodgdon Titegroup Smokeless Powder 1 lb............... $ 17.29................. 7.1............ $ .0175

Alliant Bullseye Smokeless Powder 1 lb..................... $ 16.29................. 6.5........... $ .0151

None of the above should be considered a load recommendation. I just used the mid point on each powder's recommended min/max to use for comparitive purposes. Your actual chosen load can vary in both powder charge and therefor, cost per round. As you can see, that price per round for TrailBoss in a 5lb can is quite the anomaly! I've figured that serval times... just don't understand it. I calculated for an 8 lb. of RedDot, and the price per round drops to $.013/rnd. Surprising enough, was that the above should indicate that Bullseye is the cheapest (among those calculated), and should be even more so when purchased in 8lb jugs... but, with the retailer I chose, the price for both Bullseye and RedDot are the same in that size... and since the median load is lighter for RedDot, it calculates out as the cheaper. However, again, your chosen load might vary from that median and therefore change your cost per round. Now that I don't shoot so much, it ain't a big deal... but when I was shooting 3-4 matches a month and practicing twice weekly, add in a spouse and son that shot and sometimes practice; that ADDS up... You figure out how much you shoot and decide for yourself.

(1) the others are that Bullseye is quite dirty and RedDot is a good SG powder also... at least that's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

Dang! I already know a lot more about reloading! Thanks RRR for the pm! I'll respond in just a minute. I had no idea I would have so many choices. Lots to think about, I 'm reallly new to this, so Murphy will always be near, and I definitely don't want squibs or doubles. I will be using a Lyman single with carbide dies. I plan on getting my bullets from Dash Caliber, gotta keep things in the family.

Thanks everyone!!!

Titegroup. 1 grain below manufactorer's requmended max

250 grain bullet

Very good crimp

Next problem

I can't spell typing with my thumbs neither

Griff

You have actually proved my point. Every one of those loads comes to less than 2 cents per round for the powder. The cheapest is a penny and a half per round. The most expensive is one and eight tenths cents per round. When you figure in the cost of brass, bullets, and primers, that tiny difference becomes statistically almost non-existent. I say that the teeny difference in cost per round for powder does not justify necessarily going with the cheapest load. The savings are miniscule by comparison. Much better to just choose the powder that does the job best, than to worry about .3 cents per round.

It's kind of like the cowboy who spends over $1000 for his rifle, then starts to complain about his $250 shotgun being too expensive.

My Schuetzen rounds cost about 7 1/2 cents per round for the powder. That is a significant difference over less than 2 cents.

Griff

You have actually proved my point. Every one of those loads comes to less than 2 cents per round for the powder. The cheapest is a penny and a half per round. The most expensive is one and eight tenths cents per round. When you figure in the cost of brass, bullets, and primers, that tiny difference becomes statistically almost non-existent. I say that the teeny difference in cost per round for powder does not justify necessarily going with the cheapest load. The savings are miniscule by comparison. Much better to just choose the powder that does the job best, than to worry about .3 cents per round.

It's kind of like the cowboy who spends over $1000 for his rifle, then starts to complain about his $250 shotgun being too expensive.

My Schuetzen rounds cost about 7 1/2 cents per round for the powder. That is a significant difference over less than 2 cents.

Yep, outside BP, powder cost is quite inconsequential... but the wife is a "cost accountant" and sez I HAVE to look at every piece of every puzzle and justify... Now, when you buy in the 8lb jugs... you can drop off another ¼ of cent per round! :ph34r: :ph34r:

I've heard that the large case volume can be an issue when reloading 45 LC. Any suggestions on some 'fluffy' powders to use and at what weights? I've shot some standard 200 grain bullets and recoil wasn't an issue, so I don't want to load so light that a squib might occur, but I would like something that would take up a fair amount of case volume and is inexpensive. Any help would be much appreciated.

Howdy Pard -

The issue with the .45 Colt case is that it's big, and loads of Bullseye and other smokeless powders can leave a lot of unused volume there, offering the potential to double charge without it being obvious, not to mention the issue of powder being away from the primer and leading to erratic ignition.

I started using the classic's, Bullseye, WW 231 and Unique in that cartridge, and have since gravitated towards Titegroup and TrailBoss.

Theoretically we are not supposed to post load data on this site - although others are more open about that. Suffice it to say that a minimal load of Hodgdens Trailboss will perform wonderfully: Load data

These are the groups produced using Tite-Group: Titegroup

I'm going back and forth between Tite-Group and Trail-Boss still . .they're both darn good for .45 Colt in the rifle and the pistol . . . . .

Hope this helps . . .

shadow Catcher

Description.......................................................................Price/can.......Median/Ld...Price/Rnd

IMR Trail Boss Smokeless Powder 5 lb..................... $ 98.99............... 6............... $ .0170

IMR Trail Boss Smokeless Powder 9 oz..................... $ 14.29................ 6.............. $ .0163

As you can see, that price per round for TrailBoss in a 5lb can is quite the anomaly! I've figured that serval times... just don't understand it.

I think it's because of the retailer's prices. Figure the cost-per-grain of each size canister, and it looks like that particular retailer is charging slightly more (per grain) for the larger container.

-Chris

I get almost 7,800 rounds out of a 5 lb jug of Trail Boss for my smokeless ammo (250 gr slug) and the last jug cost me about $80 a few years ago I am too much of a skinflint to practice with the real black powder but I have thought of using Schuetzen reenactor (designed for blanks in muskets and the like) as I picked up some dirt cheap for use in shot shells but I have not tried it in the .45. at

I see it is normally only a $2.50 a lb saving over the $15 a lb I would now pay at Maine Powder house for fff Schuetzen http://www.mainepowderhouse.com/catalog.php but I got 10 lbs for $4 a can from some one getting out of the reenacting scene and even if it is not good in .45 I will have a good saving in the shotgun ammo

Howdy Pard -

The issue with the .45 Colt case is that it's big, and loads of Bullseye and other smokeless powders can leave a lot of unused volume there, offering the potential to double charge without it being obvious, not to mention the issue of powder being away from the primer and leading to erratic ignition.

shadow Catcher

In addition to erratic ignition, there's also the chance of that phenomenom known as "detonation". As I recall, we had a pretty lively discussion about that last year. Basically, the theory is that pixie dust loads can settle and form a powder trail or collect at the bullet base, and when hit by the primer flash can go off with no small degree of violence instead of burning in a predictable fashion. The result can be a burst gun.

Using some kind of filler over the miniscule charge probably isn't a good solution. The topic of reduced charges came up last year in big-bore calibers, and the judgement of those Wire pards who are quite experienced with them was that certain fillers can result in ringed chambers. Again, an undesireable state of affairs.

I know a local commercial reloader who once told me he prefers to use the bulkiest powder he can. His view is that bulkier powders give better case fill, which all but eliminates the chances of a detonation or a squib. His ammo always fires, and none of his customers have ever complained. I think his view has merit.

Archived