SASS Wire Forum

RANK POINT SCORING

Hells Comin

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are too many "Buts", "If", "for examples" and "what if's" in this thread to make any since, or is that cents, or possible sense. :rolleyes:

Well, SINCE you ask about SENSE, it will cost you a few CENTS. :lol::lol::lol:

BJT: you crack me up. :lol::lol::o

..........Widder

Guest Cinch, SASS#29433

But there is where you are incorrect.

200 rank points is NOT the same as 10 seconds.

If you drop 200 rank points on stage one, I cannot tell you how to make that up (beyond - shoot really fast, don't miss and hope for the best).

If you drop 10 seconds on stage one - I can tell you EXACTLY what is required to recover.

You simply have to accumulate 10.01 fewer seconds than any of the 200 shooters that passed you due to your penalty over the remaining stages.

And since out of that 200 - only 13 were in your category, now you only have to worry about beating those 13 by 10.01.

In rank, every shooter at the match will continue to affect YOUR match and YOUR placement.

Carumba!!! So much for our stupid one disrete/stage match!! And ya still gotta get 200 shooters to hold still for the balance of the match so ya can put your foot on them. Possible... yeeeaaah... Probable... hmmmm uh well... maybe... Besides if a dog, pony, and a topless chick show up the match will be tilted even further and if one of the 13 in my category gets a MSV, one a MDQ, one a SOG and I get a SDQ and still overcome... I still won't be in Wyoming... wait I am getting a contact high :mellow:

Thanks for the input!! Like I said I am AWARE of the endless what if's... just not mystified by some of the myths put forth on the wire

I will now lead a hortichurch so she can be nervous :blink: Where is Norm Crosby when we need him?

What is the point of having different Catigories IF scoring is by the RANK System???????????

So that those shooting 97s and short-stroked guns and .32s and .38 can feel GOOD about messing with those shooting harder to master equipment scores ?????

Why should how some under 25 year old using guns with next to no recoil deside which over 50 Warthog places obove the other, over 50 Warthog ???

Neither one of the off the over 50 cripples is ever going to take top Over-all,,,,, but they should be able to shoot against others using like equipment and of similar age.... AND NOT HAVE THEIR STANDINGS DESIDED BY SHOOTER FROM OUTSIDE THEIR SHOOTING CATIGORY !!!!!!

Jabez Cowboy

I am reluctant to even get on this thread but here goes. It has helped me and hurt me. It is what is and not liely to change. Just my view from where I stand.

I have given up worryin about this, but ONE thing I find interesting. In all the matches I have shot (since 1997) I dont ever recall a TIE. What would happen in this case? Would they refur to time? And if so, say the tie was 106 rank points each, you go to total time as a tie break, but what if the guy in 3rd place had a better time then 1 or both of the 2 tied for 1st. Guess Im glad Im not a MD, or a Match Director. But, here I go being...what was it Charlie? Oh yea, BRILLIENT

hud

2010 Oregon state championship was a total time match and it was a tie. Mid Valley Drifter and Buffalo Wings both tied for state championship. The decision was to call SASS and get a second buckle. So no matter how unlikely it can happen In total time. But I am curious how it would be delt with in a rank point match

2010 Oregon state championship was a total time match and it was a tie. Mid Valley Drifter and Buffalo Wings both tied for state championship. The decision was to call SASS and get a second buckle. So no matter how unlikely it can happen In total time. But I am curious how it would be delt with in a rank point match

A tie in RP, then they go to total time. Shooter with less wins.

"Consistancy? Pulease! Try and win a overall these days shooting ANYTHING BUT consitant...can't be done! You can't shoot fast enought to miss...just can't be done at the big matches...too many folks right there on yer back...don't matter whether Rank or TT. The WHOLE stoopid point of this debate is to arrive at a better scoring method."

Yes!

TT is that Method ........

No need to convert any numbers to meen anything else,,,,,, Consistant value for peneleties ....... My miss is of the same Value as Yours ,,,,,,

Seems pretty simple ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, But I guess it takes the GUESS work out of who won .......

And makes it clear and understandable .....

That's why it won't Happen .....

Jabez Cowboy

I`ve been shooting this sport for a couple of days now. Been to both types of matches. Ive had good times and bad times at both types of matches. I`ve seen people talk til they were blue and red in the face about which way is better. And I have my own preference as to which is better. And until the WB wants it changed IT AINT GONNA HAPPEN.

And Bud did you go and get edumacated cause the last time I shot with you you were struggling with the number 9 (Rounds in the rifle(Fernly)). But Both sides have the right to believe there way is better. And that is Part of the Spirit that keeps this game going. The fastest way I can think of to get any thing changed is when you start involving the all mighty dollar into the mix. Then it becomes a real serious issue. And the rules get a whole lot bigger and a whole lot strictor. So in this game of playing cowboy I will just keep playing by the rules they give us for now. And bud when you get old enough you will understand how to turn water into beer. (Roll any jeeps lately)

The February issue of the Chronicle had article written by Coyote Calhoun regarding Rank points & why they used them.

Pretty weak points especially being able to out run misses in a Total Time match <_< ,the other is tradition,personally I think SASS has outgrown the use of RP's.

I guess if they changed now it would be admitting a mistake ?

AO

Quote: Coyote Calhoun It slows you down JUST a bit to MAKE you hit all the targets and Rank scoring is tradition. THANKS ALOT :lol: Fire away

I don't care the horse that comes in second is not the winner.

Get over it Wild Bunch change it now!

I voted for change and I want to see change.

CCBA :ph34r:

Credibility,they push fantasy,No berm marshals at EOT & Winter Range :mellow:

AO

It's kinda my own inside joke...going back to the debate over Power Factors and the WB harpin about how it'll bring credibility to CAS/SASS.

;)

I heard of shooting irons but shooting irony?

Oy!!!

It's kinda my own inside joke...going back to the debate over Power Factors and the WB harpin about how it'll bring credibility to CAS/SASS.

;)

I'm relatively new to the sport and am throwing this out merely as a clarification. If you go by rank scoring, I can have a train wreck at one stage and shoot every other stage clean and fast, and still be competitive; however, if I do the same thing with just total time being the criteria, then I'm probably not going to remain competitive in the over all scoring due to the amount of time lost on the stage where the train wreck occurred. Am I correct in this assumption?

That being the case, rank scoring gives a shooter the opportunity to make up for a particularly bad stage, by doing well in all of the remaining stages. Seems fair to me.

I'm relatively new to the sport and am throwing this out merely as a clarification. If you go by rank scoring, I can have a train wreck at one stage and shoot every other stage clean and fast, and still be competitive; however, if I do the same thing with just total time being the criteria, then I'm probably not going to remain competitive in the over all scoring due to the amount of time lost on the stage where the train wreck occurred. Am I correct in this assumption?

That being the case, rank scoring gives a shooter the opportunity to make up for a particularly bad stage, by doing well in all of the remaining stages. Seems fair to me.

Hi Billy,

It's fair to beat half or more of the shooters in a two-day, 12 stage match, when you only shot six stages? That possibility is one reason some clubs dropped RP scoring.

Doesn't seem fare to me.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Actually, ya got it backwards. You screw up on one stage and ya got all the other stages to try and repair the damage. You see, TT takes the whole match as one.

In Rank, if you screw up on one stage, it's in the books. You can't go and do nothing about it.

Phantom

:FlagAm:

Actually, ya got it backwards. You screw up on one stage and ya got all the other stages to try and repair the damage. You see, TT takes the whole match as one.

In Rank, if you screw up on one stage, it's in the books. You can't go and do nothing about it.

Phantom

:FlagAm:

I like this. Same point of view, except the other shooter screws up and advantage of R.S. goes to me. ^_^:P

Archived