SASS Wire Forum

Load Data

Zeak

I am looking for a minimum load for .357 mag that I can use in rifle and pistols with these powders. TiteGp. HS6 and Green Dot. The bullet that I use is a 158gn LCRNFP. Trail boss is no problem, but I do have these other powders that I would like to use. Any ideas?

Thanks....Zeke

Zeak,

Load data cannot be discussed on the SASS wire.

I suggest you "google" the Hodgdon website. It has a wide variety of load data for their various powders. You might also want to look at published load data for Unique.

Note: The recoil will be dependent on the muzzle velocity.

Good luck.

Conejo

Zeak,

Load data cannot be discussed on the SASS wire.

I suggest you "google" the Hodgdon website. It has a wide variety of load data for their various powders. You might also want to look at published load data for Unique.

Note: The recoil will be dependent on the muzzle velocity.

Good luck.

Conejo

I am looking for a minimum load for .357 mag that I can use in rifle and pistols with these powders. TiteGp. HS6 and Green Dot. The bullet that I use is a 158gn LCRNFP. Trail boss is no problem, but I do have these other powders that I would like to use. Any ideas?

Thanks....Zeke

Ya know, shooting a powder just cause you bought it for some other purpose is a little like trying to get your little brother's pants on (ouch). They may cover most of the territory, but they ain't gonna fit very well.

First, you need to buy a good loading manual. I'd suggest the just-published Lyman 4th Edition Cast Bullet Handbook.

Hodgdon's online data shows Titegroup is a little warm for a SASS-legal pistol load, and HS-6 is ditto. Green Dot is usually NEVER considered a decent pistol powder. Put those away. You need a pistol velocity not to exceed 1000 FPS.

Some Hodgdon Clays or Winchester 231 will give you a decent load for SASS shooting. Look in the on-line Hodgdon data if you won't buy a manual, at:

http://data.hodgdon.com/

And you will find some lower end loads that produce about 850 FPS from revolvers, with either of these powders.

And, unless you have a rifle which won't feed .38 specials, you can save money and find brass much easier if you load .38 specials instead of .357s. Even with .38 special, loads that are fine in your revolver will usually work fine in your rifle, especially when you use a long heavy bullet like you spec'ed out.

Good luck, GJ

GJ:

We have most of the info that you speak of. Just looking for a "short answer!" As the topic is frowned upon here, which makes good sense, I'll stick with my Trail Boss. I shoot .45 in any case but had a 1000 brass for the .357 and looking for options.

Thanks all for the help,

Zeke

As the topic is frowned upon here, which makes good sense, I'll stick with my Trail Boss.

Well, posting exact loading recipes is frowned on; help with general suggestions is fine. To make sure you know what is allowed and not, just read the instructions at the Forums entry page.

Trail Boss will work well, and in the link I gave you, you will find a nice load that can get you to 750 FPS. Note that lots of folks are not happy with TB loads until they get to the mid-range of the recommendations - the low end is often pretty dirty.

Wish you the best, it's just that your OP really made it sound like you were new to the reloading hobby.

GJ

I shoot .357's in my '92 as it refuses to reliably feed .38's.

RedDot is a great load with 125 or 135 grain lead bullets.

I can also make W-231 or Universal Clays work if I am low on RedDot.

If you already have the .357 brass, then staying with .357 is cheaper than changing to .38's, plus you get your brass back during a match.

Tom:

The .357 / .38 PUMA is my buddy Curly's. That is why we went to the .357 brass. With the .38 it did not like to feed. Always on your mind! The .357 seem to be working great. I tuned it up with Nate's info and parts and is real somooth. I shoot a .45 PUMA and did the same treatment with that. Big differance! We'll get the .357 running well with the new brass by springtime. He'll no doubt be beating me this season!

Thanks,

Zeke

Archived