SASS Wire Forum

Noz

That (duck and cover)came a little later. We had just come out of the Polio era and Korea really wasn't a worrisome thing(if you weren't there). My parents were terribly concerned about Rock and Roll.

Boy, I knew a lot of kids that had polio...thats what really scared everyone. 1957 was also the year of the big blizzard and the biggest tornado I've ever seen. Global warming was just then starting, lots of unusually bad thunderstorms rolled across our area. ;)

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those were tumultuous times, mid-late fifties. My mom later described me then as a giant testosterone molecule with legs and a smart mouth. In '57 I was a soph/junior in high school, and I had a split personality: one side was the quintessential "bad boy" of the times, and the other side was a church/youth group, Boy Scout. The bad boy wore a flat top with long sides and a "Fabian" curl and duck tail, engineer boots and levis, and a black leather motorcycle jacket with the collar turned up - all the way; got a few of my more significant scars then, seems I was always in a ruction of some sort or another. The church/youth group, Boy Scout cleaned up pretty well, though, and minded his manners. My second car was a '57 Chevy; bought it as a wreck - head on - and rebuilt it, and put about a hundred thou on it in just over three years; traded it on a new Pontiac in '64.

You knew she was feeling hot when she wore the hose with the seams up the back. I almost fainted the first time a date hiked up her dress and asked if her seams were straight.

oh Noz you made me laugh

now I know which stockings to pack for Bayou Blast Ha!

Doesn't anyone else see the resemblance between the Big Bopper and TBone Dooley?

We gotta get him to sing "Chantilly Lace"

I love that song

In '57, I was a guest of Uncle Sam. Greatest CIC a man could ask for, Dwight D Eisenhower knew how to treat his troops right.

Sputnik? I was part of the Fort Leonard Wood response team. We suited up for the Hungarian Revolution and we spent the night at the airport watching Sputnik, like the Russians wanted a close look at the arm pit of the US!

I had a yellow '51 Ford convertible back then. What a girl magnet! Had a carhop write her name and phone number on the door. What a girl.

No speed limit on Highway 66 and my buddy had a Chrysler with the big engine. That thing just settled in at about 100 mph. It was 105 miles to Springfield, MO and we could make the trip in just over an hour. Gas was about $.19 a gallon.

Reading this thread reminded me of another reason I love to come here.

It's the only place I go where I still feel young!

I wasn't even a gleem in Daddy's eye yet

Don't be too sure. Some boys are scouting before being a Boy Scout.

This is the most fun thread that I can recall. The memories and the music are just outstanding.

Thank you one and all.

WW

Doesn't anyone else see the resemblance between the Big Bopper and TBone Dooley?

uummm yew woont say that iffin yew wuz standin next to 'im :P

Reading this thread reminded me of another reason I love to come here.

It's the only place I go where I still feel young!

I wasn't even a gleem in Daddy's eye yet

That's why I hang out here...........young women!:wub::lol:

We gotta get him to sing "Chantilly Lace"

I love that song

If Copperhead Joe shows up with his jug of copperhead juice, I'll sing it for you.

Archived