SASS Wire Forum

Noz

Let's see:

* Dwight Eisenhower was President and Richard Nixon was Vice President in 1957

* The Frisbee (originally called "Pluto Platter") is introduced

* United States Population: 171,984,130

* World Population: 2.888 billion

* October 4: The Soviet Union launched Sputnik, the first artificial satellite to be launced into Earth's orbit. It weighed about 184 pounds

* September 4: The governor of Arkansas, Orville Faubus orders the National Guard to prevent African-American students from enrolling in Central High School in Little Rock

* September 24: President Dwight Eisenhower sends federal troops to Little Rock to provide safe passage into Central High School for the Little Rock Nine

* October 31: Toyota begins exporting vehicles to the U.S., beginning with the Toyota Crown and the Toyota Land Cruiser

* Cost of a first class postage stamp was 3 cents

* October 21: "Jailhouse Rock" starring Elvis Presley opens

TELEVISION--

* October 4 - "Leave It to Beaver" premieres

* Wagon Train premieres

* January 6: Elvis Presley makes his final appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show

* January 24 - Steve Allen makes his final appearance as host of NBC's "The Tonight Show"

* September 7: NBC introduces an animated version of the "in living color" peacock

SPORTS—

* 1957 World Series was: Milwaukee Braves vs. New York Yankees (4-3)

* NFL: Detroit Lions d. Cleveland Browns (59-14)

* Stanley Cup: Montreal Canadiens defeated the Boston Bruins (4-1)

* NBA Basketball Championship: Boston Celtics defeated the St. Louis Hawks (4-3)

* Iron Liege was the Kentucky Derby champion

My youngest living brother was born in October, I was 8 years old.

...was a good year!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

57 I graduated from High School and off to college. I was amazed that the dorm had a TV set. The only TV I had seen was when Dad took me to a friend (of his) to watch Lawrence Welk.

Married in 61 and was driving a 64 Dodge. Fluid clutch. Cost a fortune for me to keep the parking brake on it. Too easy to forget. You couldn't park it without the brake because there was no mechanical connection between engine and transmission.

Was old enough to feel like the Beatles were something for the little kids and not for me.

College meant cool jazz. Torch singers-Julie London and "Cry me a River". Johnny Mathis. Nat "King" Cole.

Do you remember when you had to go to a jewelry store to buy a transistor radio?

We skipped school when the new cars came out.

I remember agreeing with the older boys, in 1953, when they decided that the Corvette would never work. Under powered and that was good because a fiberglass body would never hold together at speed.

Good times. Peaceful. Seemed to be very little going on that would cause national anxiety.

I was a year ahead of you Noz.

I remember that the new model of cars came out in the fall. September I recall. Everybody would go to the dealers to look and ahhhhh. After the war (WWII) folks would go to the dealer and place an order for a new car to be delivered. It usually took about six weeks to get it. Factories were switching over from war time production and retooling. That was in the late '40s. My Dad bought a new 1948 plymouth. He had a '37 chevy, black as coal and looked like a new dollar. My first car was a 1948 plymouth I bought from my uncle.

When the 1949 Ford came out with the double end look, everybody was shocked. Ford sold a lot of cars

between 1949 and 1951.

Fords? Egg suckers till 51 then double egg suckers.

No one in my family would even say the word Ford.

A lot more brand loyalty in cars then. I saw fistfights over Chevy-Ford-Chrysler.

Name the Chrysler produced cars of 57.

1. Plymouth

2. ?

...all I remember was a great big car with a big engine, 300C.

...being a hot rod admirer from an early age this engine specs:

The 390 (gross) hp powerplant had solid lifters, 10:1 compression, a longer-duration, high-speed camshaft, and was only available with a stick shift; but even the standard engine, identically sized at 392 cubic inches, had twin Carter four-barrel carburetors, with a 9.25:1 compression ratio and five main bearings. The base engine pumped out 375 horsepower at 5,200 rpm, with torque of 420 lb-ft at 4,000 rpm (torque on the optional engine was not listed).

...not fast off the line, but it would outrun most everything else top end.

A lot more brand loyalty in cars then. I saw fistfights over Chevy-Ford-Chrysler.

1. Plymouth

2. ?

1. Chrysler

2. Dodge

3. Plymouth

4.De Soto

5. Imperial

That's all I remember. Rex :D

Makes the world go 'round.

Kissing in the balcony. Duck tails and Butch Wax. Collar turned up in back. Points of collar turned up it you were a fighter and down if you were a lover.

There aint nothin in the word like a big eyed girl to make ya act so funny,spend ya money, feel real loose like a long necked goose, oh baby that's a what like!!!!

1. Plymouth

2. ?

Was the DeSoto one of them?

Dodge

Chrysler

I don't recall when they stopped production on the DeSoto.

(1961)

I remember Ma workin' very hard to feed me on da res. She'd hoe blue corn till her fingers bled, but just smiled at her "Hope" ( Dats what she called me) and keep going. I had to go to da well and draw water in da mornin' and evenin'. Take a bath (no shower) once a week, weather I needed it or not. Spend many a day and night in da dirt yard waitin' fer Pa to come home.

I started school at 8 years old and was always geting into trouble for being late for class. Just could not get over on that "Flushing Toliet" thingy. I was amazed at how much water that thing went through. If "they" had to carry that water, "they" would'nt go through it like that !

Got my 1st cowboying job at 10. Had to quit school to help Ma and Pa make ends meet. Learned to ride, white man style, or with a saddle, to rope and cut, brand...all those things. I got pulled over by a NM state trooper at 11 in my boss's 1 ton chevy and was told to take it easy.

Got Pa's ok to buy a new , to me, 1968 Chevy Nova, but I used da money to buy us a parcel of land in El Paso, Tx. I saw Ma and Pa was proud of me for that, and Pa was even more proud when I got my draft card. He asked me what I was going to do. I answered him, " The Marines are crazy....I'm joining the Army !! "

They were tuff times, no doubt....but I would not change a thing !!!:wub:

No worries!!!??? Hey, didn't ya'll have to hide under your desk like we did bout once a week practicing for when they dropped the big one. :lol:

I had a fire engine red 2 dr hardtop 57 Belaire that had 80K miles on it when purchased.. Man, I'd love to have that car back in a way. Back then though an engine was usually a blue smoker by 75k miles if it made that far. The 91 Ford PU I traded off in 2001 is still going with over 375k miles and still not burning oil. I'm not sure I'd want to go back to 12K tuneups and brake jobs every 30K or less.

But I would like to scream that 57 down U.S. Hwy 385 bout midnite, all the stars shining,all the windows down, Smitty glass pacs roaring, and the radio blaring out "The Wanderer". Just one more time. ;)

Sam,

who was hatched in 1946.

Remember setting the points and a new condenser.

An servicing the oil bath air cleaner. I don't miss gummed up carbuerators and carb kits either. But on most vehicles you could at least reach the sparkplugs. I don't even try to work on em anymore. You mess up and break something..even a sparkplug wire and holy smokes!$$$$$$$$$$!

I do have my Dad's 1959 Massey Ferguson 50 tractor and have to do all the above. Somehow, it seems a pleasure instead of a chore. ^_^

I was 10 yrs. old in 1957 but 4 or 5 years later we still had the pony tailed girls and yer right they were a delight! By the time I was interested in girls it was only 3 years later and things hadn't changed too much. Things really changed in 64-65, the Beatles and the English invasion influenced our culture so much, not especially for the good either.

What a great time to grow up, had a 57 Chevy in 1965, later bought a 67 Cutlass Supreme brand new. 350 V8 with a 4 barrel carb, man what a car for a stock off the lot. All black, no air, AM radio, roll up windows and automatic trans.:wub:

Rye.. the very start of the movement was nice. They wore suits and they sang songs like "I wanna hold your hand".. it was later that they became a crazy storm that wrecked the nation.. but I agree they did start the damage. I liked them at first, and I do like the old stuff.. but being a CW kinda gal I like Alan Jackson, Patsy Cline, George Straight a lot better.. They talk about the issues in life, a yellow submarine I could not realte to.. lol

Oh, 1957 was a traumatic year for me. I was ten years old and Linda Hoover, the ten year old girl that lived across the street from us, well, one day after I had hit her little bother in the head with a rock, well, she ran at me, knocked me down and beat me up! Oh the shame. I got beat up by a girl -- in 1957. :(

I was 10 yrs. old in 1957 but 4 or 5 years later we still had the pony tailed girls and yer right they were a delight! By the time I was interested in girls it was only 3 years later and things hadn't changed too much. Things really changed in 64-65, the Beatles and the English invasion influenced our culture so much, not especially for the good either.

What a great time to grow up, had a 57 Chevy in 1965, later bought a 67 Cutlass Supreme brand new. 350 V8 with a 4 barrel carb, man what a car for a stock off the lot. All black, no air, AM radio, roll up windows and automatic trans.:wub:

Ryes you are older than me?????? gosh,,, I am surprised..

Oh, 1957 was a traumatic year for me. I was ten years old and Linda Hoover, the ten year old girl that lived across the street from us, well, one day after I had hit her little bother in the head with a rock, well, she ran at me, knocked me down and beat me up! Oh the shame. I got beat up by a girl -- in 1957. :(

Lol.... I can still remember my brother having a "thing" for a girl in our little town, one room country school.. kinda hard to keep much a secret.. lol.. I would tease him cuz she and a gal he felt was ugly had the same first name... Man he would get mad.. I was a mean little kid I guess.. lol.. Ouch a rock.. I did get a hard ball delivered hard and fast into my head and that knocked me out.. I was up to bat.. lol.. I guess I should have ducked? lol

An servicing the oil bath air cleaner. I don't miss gummed up carbuerators and carb kits either. But on most vehicles you could at least reach the sparkplugs. I don't even try to work on em anymore. You mess up and break something..even a sparkplug wire and holy smokes!$$$$$$$$$$!

I do have my Dad's 1959 Massey Ferguson 50 tractor and have to do all the above. Somehow, it seems a pleasure instead of a chore. ^_^

I'll see your Dad's 1959 Massey Ferguson and raise you my Dad's 1947 Ferguson. We still use it as the farm tractor.

I'll see your Dad's 1959 Massey Ferguson and raise you my Dad's 1947 Ferguson. We still use it as the farm tractor.

In the Oklahoma Panhandle, I plowed with a 14-foot one-way plow pulled by a MINNEAPOLIS MOLINE. They looked similar to the web pics below.

http://museumvictoria.com.au/collections/itemimages/357/085/357085_large.jpg

http://www.tractorhouse.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=5814226

Couldn't get that plow into most of our fields and darn sure couldn't get it stuck into our rocks.

OK, I'll raise the limit! :) Got a Ford (Deerborne) two row planter, cultivator, one way disk, angle blade, and dirt bucket. Also a crust buster (a fifties version of the old go devil) that was originally four row but cut to two. All this was Dads too. Many a cotton crop was made with a T30 or Ford 9n/8n during WWII and a while after. The G Johnny popper changed all of that for us there on the Texas South Plains.... two row equipment was relegated to gardens and such. The smaller tractors became secondary and used for utility work or pull sand fighters, etc. In General, that is.

The sandier regions of the high plains favored John Deere and some Farmall tractors back in the fifties...for cotton anyway. In the tighter land and/or where wheat was raised you saw mostly Molines and Cases. They were geared lower, heavier, and thus could pull a bigger plow.

I957...started high school and went out for football. Played varsity for 3 years. Got me a scholorship to college and my degree :rolleyes: Went to the Drags for the first time...Lions in Long Beach Ca. Just had to have a car...worked my tail off and bought a 39 Chevy that was just barely hanging together. Had my first date...went to the drive in....no didn't do any making out as it was the first date :blush: Bought a surf board and TRIED to surf at Huntington Beach...not very good at it. :o Those were inocent, fun days. :D Was a long time ago, but still seems like yesterday. I still hang out with friends from that time, we talk a lot about it over a bit of good spirits. If I had it to do over....wouldn't do much different. :wub:

Yeah, I can dig the soap-and-water saddle shoes. With bobby sox and plaid skirts. The girls would roll their skirts up when they walked out of school and the nuns were not watching 'em. No hose, all the way up!

As you see, I was a Catholic girl admirer!

Ryes you are older than me?????? gosh,,, I am surprised..

Guess so, I've been told I look pretty good fer my age, had an easy life I guess :P I don't feel like I'm 63!! Geeez, time flies darnit!:lol:

Yer just a young-un then huh?:rolleyes:

Hi Noz,

Although they weren't new, I was only eight in 1957, I drove one of these and thesefor a while.

My dad had one of these.

Regards,

Allie Mo

My dad drove one of these 1956 Ford Station Wagons only it was yellow and white. It had brown naugahyde seats that looked like leather with little ranch brands all over it.

http://popuppistons.com/pictures/1956ford/1956ford06.jpg

See the yellow and white station wagon!

http://www.allclassicads.com/ford/1956-ford-thunderbird-y-8-fairlane-station-wagon-advertisement.jpg

No worries!!!??? Hey, didn't ya'll have to hide under your desk like we did bout once a week practicing for when they dropped the big one. :lol:

I had a fire engine red 2 dr hardtop 57 Belaire that had 80K miles on it when purchased.. Man, I'd love to have that car back in a way. Back then though an engine was usually a blue smoker by 75k miles if it made that far. The 91 Ford PU I traded off in 2001 is still going with over 375k miles and still not burning oil. I'm not sure I'd want to go back to 12K tuneups and brake jobs every 30K or less.

But I would like to scream that 57 down U.S. Hwy 385 bout midnite, all the stars shining,all the windows down, Smitty glass pacs roaring, and the radio blaring out "The Wanderer". Just one more time. ;)

Sam,

who was hatched in 1946.

That (duck and cover)came a little later. We had just come out of the Polio era and Korea really wasn't a worrisome thing(if you weren't there). My parents were terribly concerned about Rock and Roll.

I bought a used 1980 Bronco. It started to run a little rough so I decided to change the points and condenser.

It didn't have any!!!!

I haven't attempted to work on an engine since.

Archived