SASS Wire Forum

Noz

On the word association thread the subject of pony tailed girls came up;

I'm sorry folks but I'm still hung up on the sugar sweet, ponytailed, poodle skirted blond 16 year old girls of the mid 50s. How wonderful and mysterious they were. Armored bras and girdled butts. Cashmere sweaters and short scarves around their necks. Saddleshoes and penny loafers.

Man how great that was. I was driving a 1939 Chevy 4 door. The only unbroken window was the one directly in fron of the driver. No back seat because I carried baby calves to the auction there and coal from the coal yard home to burn. Had a grand total of $90 invested. Tore up several transmissions but they were $10 ea from the junk yard.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Sways with a wiggle, with a wiggle when she walks.

Sways with a wiggle when she walks."

Makes the world go 'round.

Kissing in the balcony. Duck tails and Butch Wax. Collar turned up in back. Points of collar turned up it you were a fighter and down if you were a lover.

What a time that was. It was a different time alright.

Ladies had some morals but were exciting. Moms made

certain of that.

Boys had some sense of responsibility. Usually their father's size 11.

:unsure:

Seriously it was a magic time for me. Young, bullet proof and just

discovering the adult world.

Thanks for the memories. Warm summer nights with the fire flies in the

fields at night.

Setting in the bath tub in your Levis and then letting them shink to fit.

Making out in the drive in movie.

Pack of Luckeys rolled up in your t-shirt at your shoulder (wheather you smoked or not.)

Hanging out at the burger shack by the school pumping dimes into the juke box.

Dad buying the first color TV on the block.

No worries. Just fun.

You knew she was feeling hot when she wore the hose with the seams up the back. I almost fainted the first time a date hiked up her dress and asked if her seams were straight.

My Dad bought a new 2 door white over pink 57 Chevy.

I asked if I could take it on a date and he said "Why, you have a car?"

Mine was a 39 Chevy.

Had a silver and white '57 Chevy and couldn't wait to get rid of it. It was a rusty, rattling, piece of junk that wouldn't stay in tune and the front end constantly went out of alignment. Someone put a 327 in it before I got it and when it ran it RAN! Those "fans" on the side used to lose the stainless and white striped panels at any speed over 70.

I traded it in for a 57 Dodge Royal Lancer 2 door hard top. It was better but not a lot.

I was four years old in 1957. My daddy was a cop and both my mother's brothers were drag racers.

I spent as much time in the pits and at car hop restaurants before my tenth birthday as most people spent at work. Poodle skirts and car hops on skates were cool long before there was a Sonic Drive In.

Sam Cooke singin' Saturday Night at the Movies and On Broadway, Buddy Holly and the Crickets doin' That'll Be the Day, Chuck Berry and Sweet Little Sixteen, and the Everly Brothers with Wake Up Little Suzy.

Them was GOOOOOOOOOOOOOD TIMES!!! :P:):D:lol::wub:

I was four years old in 1957. My daddy was a cop and both my mother's brothers were drag racers.

I spent as much time in the pits and at car hop restaurants before my tenth birthday as most people spent at work. Poodle skirts and car hops on skates were cool long before there was a Sonic Drive In.

Sam Cooke singin' Saturday Night at the Movies and On Broadway, Buddy Holly and the Crickets doin' That'll Be the Day, Chuck Berry and Sweet Little Sixteen, and the Everly Brothers with Wake Up Little Suzy.

Them was GOOOOOOOOOOOOOD TIMES!!! :P:):D:lol::wub:

Damn straight.

Well, I'll be a dirty bird.....

1957 I was very young, but I was riding my own horse, and cutting cattle for my dad.. Beyond that all that mattered was lemonade, pickles and green apples in my life. A time I would love to return to .. lol My older siblings were hung up on Elvis, and the beatnicks were new to the "scene" .... lol.. I think Doby Gillies was popular, but the truth is in 1957 I was 6 or 7 or about that.. lol.... and nothing much mattered but trying to be grown up. My sisters were in love, and dressing up in prom dresses and beehive hairdoos.. and I use to sit and listen to their stories all curled by with them at night. Course they would kick me out of bed into my own room cuz I was a a little sister, very little to them. My brothers talked about girl, and not in a way I was use to.. lol.. And they like photos of girls dress with little on .. lol. my one brother even craved his gal's name in a milker strap.. lol... and one tried to write her first name with the manure spreader.. now that had to impress her.. lol.. And ya'll wonder why I am so silly.. lol. When you are little your older brothers and sisters are like the best thing in the whole wide world. You look up to them, you want to be like them.. I learned their songs.. so my teen years started when I was very young as far as music and movies were concerned, and continue on for a long time.. It was fun.. is all I can say.

1957 I was very young, but I was riding my own horse, and cutting cattle for my dad.. Beyond that all that mattered was lemonade, pickles and green apples in my life. A time I would love to return to .. lol My older siblings were hung up on Elvis, and the beatnicks were new to the "scene" .... lol.. I think Doby Gillies was popular, but the truth is in 1957 I was 6 or 7 or about that.. lol.... and nothing much mattered but trying to be grown up. My sisters were in love, and dressing up in prom dresses and beehive hairdoos.. and I use to sit and listen to their stories all curled by with them at night. Course they would kick me out of bed into my own room cuz I was a a little sister, very little to them. My brothers talked about girl, and not in a way I was use to.. lol.. And they like photos of girls dress with little on .. lol. my one brother even craved his gal's name in a milker strap.. lol... and one tried to write her first name with the manure spreader.. now that had to impress her.. lol.. And ya'll wonder why I am so silly.. lol. When you are little your older brothers and sisters are like the best thing in the whole wide world. You look up to them, you want to be like them.. I learned their songs.. so my teen years started when I was very young as far as music and movies were concerned, and continue on for a long time.. It was fun.. is all I can say.

YOU BET IT WAS! :)

ya'all are makin me feel a bit younger...

cuz in 57 I wasn't even born yet.

Oh stop it.. lol..

YOU BET IT WAS! :)

Oh, gosh it was... I can still see my sisters laugh and smile over Elvis .. and hear their voices as they sung along with the radio after diner doing dishes.. Life was so sweet back then... so easy.. so simples.. the best of times..

I was young too, and still remember lots of those things. Our family traveled back east to see relatives about every other year in the 50s. Those songs were playin on the long rides no matter what state we were in...thot I'd go nuts hearin Li'l Suzy one more time! Dad was in the car biz for 50 yrs so we got to ride in all makes and models, convertibles, an Edzel that broke down in the desert. There were lots of kids in our neighborhood and we all had adventures together for hours without any worries. All the girlfriends danced with me to Elvis and Pat Boone 45s playin on my record player [the only portable one on the street] in my garage. I felt sooo important! Summers growin up, mom made us Koolaid popsycles in ice trays--grape, cherry, rootbeer mmmmmm them we'd run thru the icy hose sprinkler on hot days and warm up on the driveway. She made Sis & me poodle skirts like none other. We dint have a color tv til 68 when I was a senior but it dint matter. Sometimes family went to the drive-in for $1 a carload and I'd get 15 cents to buy little sugar coated donuts. If there was an eztra dollar, we went to the original MacDonalds in Downey where the girls on roller skates wore tartan skirts and served us on car trays. :) One fall night in 57 about 8 pm, all the neighbors went out into the middle of the dark street-light-less street to see Sputnik's little light move slowly across the sky. something Russian! how exciting...

After school, the guys would gather at the drug store and drink cokes. Then home to do chores. On the week ends the guys would gather on the bank corner and watch the girls walk down the street on the other side, and then go for a joy ride around town. Then come back to the bank corner and watch girls some more.

Funny how the girls always showed up. When the right one came along the guy with the car would go pick her up and drive her home?

Those were the days of white buck shoes, flat top hair cuts, and levis and khaki pants. Bowling on Sunday afternoon.

I was young too, and still remember lots of those things. Our family traveled back east to see relatives about every other year in the 50s. Those songs were playin on the long rides no matter what state we were in...thot I'd go nuts hearin Li'l Suzy one more time! Dad was in the car biz for 50 yrs so we got to ride in all makes and models, convertibles, an Edzel that broke down in the desert. There were lots of kids in our neighborhood and we all had adventures together for hours without any worries. All the girlfriends danced with me to Elvis and Pat Boone 45s playin on my record player [the only portable one on the street] in my garage. I felt sooo important! Summers growin up, mom made us Koolaid popsycles in ice trays--grape, cherry, rootbeer mmmmmm them we'd run thru the icy hose sprinkler on hot days and warm up on the driveway. She made Sis & me poodle skirts like none other. We dint have a color tv til 68 when I was a senior but it dint matter. Sometimes family went to the drive-in for $1 a carload and I'd get 15 cents to buy little sugar coated donuts. If there was an eztra dollar, we went to the original MacDonalds in Downey where the girls on roller skates wore tartan skirts and served us on car trays. :) One fall night in 57 about 8 pm, all the neighbors went out into the middle of the dark street-light-less street to see Sputnik's little light move slowly across the sky. something Russian! how exciting...

We use to name that car.. lol. and I knew the Fords cuz my dad was a Ford man back them. Grandfather loved Chevys, and my older brother did too.. lol.. So he knew them.. Gotta admit the vette was pretty.. lol But the Cobra was the very best.. lol.. Growing up on a farm we had lemonade or water for years, and Koolaid the Rootbeer flavor something we rarely got or soda. But there was nothing like drining a lemondae thru a onion top, sort of like a straw.. lol.. never had a poodle skirt, my sisters did.. and roller skates were the key kind in the basement out in the country.. lol.. When I was 16 in CA I was taken roller skating with my step bro.. lol. I could ice skate and ski, so I guess it would have come natural? I could cross over my leg by the end of the night.. but only because my step bro put me on the end of crack the whip my very first time out on skates.. I learned very fast to stay alive, grace and form had nothing to do with it.. lol Oh.. sent you a PM..

I was 5 and my favorite song (so sez Ma) was STANDING ON THE CORNER. My folks had a Studibaker Commander

TF

Oh my Gosh a Studibaker? lol... We had Fords.. but man a Sudi back then was so cool...

I was 10 yrs. old in 1957 but 4 or 5 years later we still had the pony tailed girls and yer right they were a delight! By the time I was interested in girls it was only 3 years later and things hadn't changed too much. Things really changed in 64-65, the Beatles and the English invasion influenced our culture so much, not especially for the good either.

What a great time to grow up, had a 57 Chevy in 1965, later bought a 67 Cutlass Supreme brand new. 350 V8 with a 4 barrel carb, man what a car for a stock off the lot. All black, no air, AM radio, roll up windows and automatic trans.:wub:

Seeing it in the movies is not the same as living it, OBB. :rolleyes:

It was a blast. Compared to the problems of the '60s, well, we will never see it

again. It kinda got sandwiched in between the '40s and WW II and the 60's with

it's social disorder.

Badger, yer right! We were there for a big part of the greatest technological explosion in history. We saw triumph and tragedy in almost equal portions and lived and grew because of them. Being a gear head, sports freak, and voracious music consumer and long time participant, for me it was the best of times. I went to school with and worked with some of the best singers and players of the time, especialy in rock 'n' roll and blues. One of our other pards said something about this stretching into the sixties. To remember the fifties and sixties as our time of growing up and young adulthood is tops.

I've had the pleasure of owning some of those fantastic cars and motorcycles, and also meeting and working with a few athletes of historic stature and playing with some of the great musicians that made history.

A friend of mine who also has been a member of my band now and again was also the original guitar player for Charlie Daniels' Band. We were talking about our misspent youth the other night and he pointed out that we were a part of the greatest time in rock 'n' roll music, and that there would never be another chance for people to live through a time like that again. From Bill Hailey and the Comets to Aerosmith to Chuck Berry to ZZ Top to Bob Dylan to Elvis and of course the BEATLES, rock 'n' roll has influenced history like no other form of music.

To have been involved directly in all of these things could only happen to our generation.

MAN O MAN !! It's been a helluva ride so far!!

And it ain't over yet!! I wonder what's next y'all? :P:D

Archived