SASS Wire Forum

Can SKB be Modified To Reset With Very Light Loads?

Zachariah Smith 70528

Can SKB be Modified To Reset With Very Light Loads?

I have a nice 100 SKB that I was going to have worked on for SASS but it would not reset with any lighter loads (that is without any changes) and money got tight so I continue using by 97s.

Whine whine, I just had two dental implants put in that were not covered by insurance-I am lucky to have dental insurance at all but it dented by sinking fund! :rolleyes:

Can they be made to function with Featherlites?

Thanks,Zach.

I don't know what you mean by very light but they can be set to reliably fire featherlites which is the lightest commercial load I'm aware of. My wife's will shoot loads lighter than featherlites but it seems the threshold is slightly different on all of them when you get real close to the edge of reliability. IMO they will shoot a load as light as you would want to shoot for SASS if they are set up right.

They will reliably shoot featherlights. The transfer of recoil into the gun is affected by the "firmness" that the gun is held with. A soft shouldered, noodle grip will absorb recoil and not reliably reset the gun. I have a 12 and 10 year old that I shoot with so I've experimented with a lot of VERY light loads. I'm over that now. I'm convinced that featherlights and the equivalent are light enough for most anybody. I've seen loads that weren't reliable for the boys, that I could shoot. I've seen loads so light that they were only reliable if the recoil pad was against a tree. I think I have heard of people testing loads by firing one handed. If it will reliably fire a box one handed, it should pass the test.

Absolutely the gun can be modified to reset with minimal recoil. Any competent gunsmith can do the work. When using subgauge tube sets, they always do a trigger modification to allow the inertia block to rest with only the recoil of a 410 shell. Usually this is done on O/U shotguns, but can be done on SXS shotguns also. Visit your local shotgun gunsmith, he can fix you up.

RBK

Strange...I have 2 SKBs that I have never had any problem with. Must be the full house BP loads I use. :lol:

Reality check.....check with the 2 experts..Johnny Meadows and Dirt Merchant. B)

This is just something I have noticed with mine. If it is set to fire the right barrel first, it would sometimes not reset ( with Featherlites). When set to fire the left barrel first, no problems. :blink:

First make sure that your action is completely clean and properly lubricated before doing extensive "modifications" to shoot light loads. If the recoil block becomes gummed, has sat around for a while in the gun safe, or has a bit of oxidation, the block will not reset properly.

Take the butt stock off, get a can of carburetor cleaner, blast the snot out of the block area, flush with compressed air, and relubricate. Those steps will cure 95% of the ills posed by an SKB or other recoil operated gun.

andy horvath of lagrange oh can convert them to mechanical....last I new he charged $100. problem fixed

cheyenne

There are a couple of tiny springs that control the inertia reset that just need trimmed a small bit and any load will reset.

+1

I even did mine by my own self, although I did cuss some during during the process.

Archived