SASS Wire Forum

1851 conversion

Kerr

Just getting back into this after a few years away.......picked up a new uberti 1851 conversion in 38 spcl

Anyone use these.?? Any issues to be aware of? Probably gonna shoot smokeless.....unfortunately

My main match guns are Uberti 1851 Richards Mason Navy conversions in .38 Special. They are great guns.

Out of the box they are really stiff, nothing a spring kit wouldn't help.

I shoot a light 38 long colt out of mine and I totaly agree with staying with lighter loads in any open top.

Nothing points like a 51; best Duelist and Gunfighter pistols you could buy. B)

Out of the box they are really stiff, nothing a spring kit wouldn't help.

I shoot a light 38 long colt out of mine and I totaly agree with staying with lighter loads in any open top.

Nothing points like a 51; best Duelist and Gunfighter pistols you could buy. B)

Hey there Coal Car Kid,

Long time no see.

Could be I best try out your conversions and see iffn I like em.

Then look out Max Montana, ............especially after I practice with my 87.......HeeeHeee

Blood Washed

Howdy Blood Washed,

I'll let you try them next time I run into you, you won't be sorry. (unless not really looking to buy another set of pistols) :P

They naturally point; unless of course, you try to go way too fast, like me. B)

I have 3 sets of 51 conversions; 1 set of the Uberti and 3 ASM and 1 Navy arms.

The Uberti are holding up good so far, been shooting them off and on about a year.

The Navy Arms has held up the best of my other ones, the ASM ones have had problems with the triggers wearing out and the front sight getting knocked off.

I only shoot my 1851 convesions Duelist or Gunfighter style, because I feel the lock work isn't as strong as a Peace Maker.

That’s all I shoot pard! They’re my favorite revolvers. Check out how they perform, one in each hand, loaded with black powder, here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/MisterIncredibell

Like others have said, nothin' points as well as these 51's.

BTW; I have a half a dozen of 'em that I use for CAS... all of 'em straight outta the box stock. Your mileage my vary...

Uberti Open Tops and Conversions have a problem with the Arbor/Barrel fit. Normally the bore in the barrel for the Arbor is drilled too deep and the end shake and barrel/cylinder gap changes every time you take the guns apart to clean. Fix that and swap out the factory springs for lighter Main Springs. VTI Gunparts for the spring or Brownells for "lee's Gunsmithing" springs.

Coffinmaker

Archived