SASS Wire Forum

Remington cannon

Mudflat Mike, SASS #20904

Mike a 4 bore is a 19th century black powder elephant gun.

I think a Remington would be an oddity or at least a special order all the 4-6-8 bores I have seen are European although I do have a Greener 2 bore thats 0.690 in. in dia.

so it is possible that it is a catalog item.

I have a loaded 4 bore round and it is 4.850 inches long, 1.029 inches in diameter at the base of the cartridge just ahead of the rim. The lead slug is 0.935 in dia. where it enters the case. I think the projectile weighs about a pound. If you run this down and decide not to buy it let me know because I sure do like them big guns.

Mike a 4 bore is a 19th century black powder elephant gun.

I think a Remington would be an oddity or at least a special order all the 4-6-8 bores I have seen are European although I do have a Greener 2 bore thats 0.690 in. in dia.

so it is possible that it is a catalog item.

I have a loaded 4 bore round and it is 4.850 inches long, 1.029 inches in diameter at the base of the cartridge just ahead of the rim. The lead slug is 0.935 in dia. where it enters the case. I think the projectile weighs about a pound. If you run this down and decide not to buy it let me know because I sure do like them big guns.

Four bore rifle should be 1.052", 2-bore should be 1.325", per the info section of the Dixie Gun Works catalog, although in shotguns they are usually slightly smaller. Two bore should obviously be far more than .69- 12 gauge is about .729. Looking further down the DGW page, .690 is about 14-bore, .935 is between 5-6 bore.

Archived