SASS Wire Forum

The New True Grit

Uncertain Tex SASS #69474

I know some think the starting lines for a stage are really stupid... I don't...I absolutely love them...Maybe it is just a function of age...but I thought the movie was full of them...the one that got me was when Mattie was talking about leaving the next morning on her adventure..and I paraphrase because my pastor knows I'm not great at chapter and verse

""I have the protection of the author of creation...and a good horse" or something to that effect.

Like they go together???...anyway...anybody else remember any good one liners from the movie???

Are either of you in need of medical attention?

You missed your shot Cogburn.

I thought you was gonna say the sun was in your eyes. That is to say your “eye”

~:Wylie:~

What does Rooster say at the end gun fight "Fill your hands with Iron" or guns something to do with pistols cant remember but i thought it was a good one.

Ground's too hard. Them men wanted a decent burial, they should have got themselves killed in summer.

You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him

From the original movie:

As they discuss their Baptist religious upbringing at McAllister’s & LaBeouf relates that he was raised Episcopalian Mattie sneers: “Figured you for some kinda kneeler”.

“I won't rest until Tom Chaney is barking in Hell.”

“My name is Mattie Ross, of Near Dardanelle in Yell County. My family owns property, and I don't know why I'm being treated like this!”

Ned Pepper: “I never busted a cap on a woman or anybody much under sixteen. But it's enough that you know that I'll do what I have to do.”

Colonel Stonehill when Mattie returns for more horse trading: “I just received word that a young girl fell head first down a fifty foot well on the Towson Road. I thought perhaps it was you.” The look on her face after he says that is priceless.

Not all great stage lines but all great lines!

Seamus

"Ned Pepper -- I aim to kill you OR see you hanged in Fort Smith at Judge Parker's convience -- What'll it BE???"

AND THE EVER FAMOUS RESPONSE

"High talk for a one eyed fat man"

-------------------

Oh, and Ned's response to Rooster's offer to trade Mattie--

Too thin Rooster, Too thin

Conejo

I have several from both movies.

I'm not sure if these are word for word correct but close.

Mattie: "I'll not be bandied about when I'm in the right".

Mattie: "That is a silly question, I am fourteen".

Rooster: (new version, when he's stumbling around in the room in the Chinaman's store) "Dam'd Ducks"!

I especially can't wait to use this one as one of our shooter's alias is "The Duck".

Sage Creek

LaBoeuf

You give out very little sugar with your pronouncements. While I sat there watchin' I gave some thought to stealin' a kiss... though you are very young, and sick... and unattractive to boot. But now I have a mind to give you five or six good licks with my belt.

Cross-examining Lawyer: So, you say that when Amos Wharton raised his axe, you backed away from him.

Rooster Cogburn: That's right.

Cross-examining Lawyer: In what direction were you going?

Rooster Cogburn: Backwards. I always go backwards when I back up.

Mattie Ross: If I had killed Chaney, I would not be in this fix; but my gun misfired.

Lucky Ned Pepper: [Chuckling] They will do it. It will embarrass you every time. Most girls like to play pretties, but you like guns do you?

Mattie Ross: I do not care a thing about guns, if I did, I would have one that worked.

Rooster Cogburn: The jakes is occupied.

Mattie Ross: I know it is occupied Mr. Cogburn. As I said, I have business with you.

Rooster Cogburn: I have prior business.

Mattie Ross: You have been at it for quite some time, Mr. Cogburn.

Rooster Cogburn: There is no clock on my business! To heck with you! To heck with you! How did you stalk me here?

Mattie Ross: The sheriff told me to look in the saloon. In the saloon they referred me here. We must talk.

Rooster Cogburn: Women ain't allowed in the saloon!

Mattie Ross: I was not there as a customer. I am fourteen years old.

Rooster Cogburn: The jakes is occupied. And will be for some time.

Rooster Cogburn: The jakes is occupied.

Mattie Ross: I know it is occupied Mr. Cogburn. As I said, I have business with you.

Rooster Cogburn: I have prior business.

Mattie Ross: You have been at it for quite some time, Mr. Cogburn.

Rooster Cogburn: There is no clock on my business! To heck with you! To heck with you! How did you stalk me here?

Mattie Ross: The sheriff told me to look in the saloon. In the saloon they referred me here. We must talk.

Rooster Cogburn: Women ain't allowed in the saloon!

Mattie Ross: I was not there as a customer. I am fourteen years old.

Rooster Cogburn: The jakes is occupied. And will be for some time.

Cope,

You must be got a relative what works at the movie house else you done bought a lot of tickets!!!!!! You got the script down pat.

COON HUNT????????

THIS AIN'T NO COON HUNT!!!!!!!!

I like the phrase that Mattie used after they left the river and Rooster and the Ranger spurred their horses and left her behind. She speakes to her horse Blackie that they will catch up to them cause " They're loaded down with fat men and iron" I feel that way myself sometimes.:rolleyes:

Archived