SASS Wire Forum

Any trophy hunters here?

The Original Bad Bob

BJT;

The work was heavy that week-end ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Skin , cut and wrap 4 deer ........

Make jerky ,,,,,,,,,,, And the grind meat ,,,,,,,, then the next week make sausage ...

Gives us somthing to do when it cold out ....

The kids around here understand where the meat in the freezer came from ...

Jabez Cowboy

Jabez, I bet tha buck was a grunt ta put in the truck. I'm happy for tha young man. I've hunted eva since I was aroun 9 years old. My brother tought me as my daddy didn't hunt. I love it and have hunted everything we have a season on here. I've trapped some enjoyed that too, alot don't like that but life ain't always about what somebody else likes, ye can't make friends everywhere ye go. I made sure my son and daughter both knew what it was like ta check rabbit boxes before school and see tha lid down. They both have hunted and taken deer with me and their mom (Kill-em-all Kate) as she hunted alot also sometimes when I had ta work. Hunting is very dear ta me, I would no more give it up than tha guns I use to do it wid.

As far as trophy hunting goes I haven't pulled tha trigger on a whitetail in 3 years passed every buck I've saw. Must be trophy huntin.

RRR

I have hunted Africa twice and would like to go back again. Cost today is much less than the first time I went in 1977 that was just over $60,000.00 for three weeks, But more old style hunting with lots of walking and stalking. Secound trip was for two weeks and about half the cost of the first trip and was more driving and sleeping in tents at night with hot meals and showers. I saw no wasted meat as the locals took all the meat to feel their familys both times. The fees went to help the local gov. and the people who depend on hunting. Both hunts had professional hunters as required by law and they were very good as were the trackers and skinners. I had many pictures of both hunts and they went with the ex-wife before I checked on them. Hunting Africa is a lifetime experence and you see so many things you never forget. On the secound trip I was with several other hunters and saw some strange things like one dude from Calf. shot a Cape Buffalo nine times with a 458 before the 10th shot hit the spine and put him down. I had one shot kills on everthing and expected it that way. Shots were from under seven yards to just over 300 yards.

First time I carried a 460 Weatherby for heavy game and a 300 Whetherby for small game. 500 grain solid and 180 grain soft point. On the secound trip I had a Krieghoff 470 double for heavy game and a 375 H&H Winchester M-70 and a 300 Weatherby for small game. One shot kills on everthing as well as expected.

I was booked for a American Buffalo hunt last year but other things came up and I did not get to use the Orginal 44-90 Sharps I wanted to use. I started hunting white tails around ten and have no idea how many I have killed but they all were killed for meat. I had give My brother a 50 cal. Hawken kit and he took his time and build a fine rifle and after his early death at 37, After I had to buy back all his guns from his widow one day I was sitting in my living room looking at his Hawkin over my fireplace when I decided to take it out and kill a deer in his honor. I shot three bucks with it in least than 15 minutes and decided to retire it. I was up half the night cleaning them. I decided that night that my unkle was right when he said "Hunting is like sex, Once You pull that trigger you have a hell of a mess to clean up". I decided that night he was right and now if I do shoot a deer I let the locker plant process it. I think I enjoy bird hunting the most now that I am older and I favor a Orginal Parker two barrel set with the orginal case and a single Miller selectable trigger and auto ejectures. I have never had a shotgun that can outshot that Parker. For years I used the S.K.B. M-200E models on birds. I have a couple of fine H&H and Boss shotguns that are great but the U.S. made Parker will outshoot them any day of the week.

In Texas today, Many ranches remain in business because of the money they get from Hunters and many use that money to pay their tax with. I have no problem when a rancher invest his money in a game ranch and has a fair hunt policy. One local game ranch just had a father and son spend almost a million dollars on a two week hunt just west of here. Also today many ranches have exotic game on them and no season on them. Game Ranches today in Texas are big business and I know several men who have sank millions of dollars in their places to improve the land and game managment for hunting.

I personally can not see any difference when a hunter kills an animal by hunting than I can when I watch a slauterhouse kill one for the supermarket. As for eating everthing I kill, Hell no, No way. I had no intention of eating the last two big rattlesnakes I killed last month when I was on a dozer nor the coyote that was trying to eat my neighor dog. To some of us its a way of life to others they scream when one kills a animal but where are they in the hot Texas summers when the water holes are dried up and I use my watertruck to put out water or the western or northern times when ice and snow are on the ground and a hunter puts out feed?

Your Pard, Texas Man

I always hunted for meat. Ya cant eat the antlers. When we lost the privilege to hunt 5-600 acres of farm (prime deer and turkey) my enthusiasm changed. When hunting choices were limited to clubs and public land where other hunters presence restricted ya to stand hunting, it stopped being enjoyable. Whether in the woods for shots up close or by a field glassing 2-400 yards, I got bored of it quick sittin still waiting for something to happen, and I am a fairly patient person for the most part. Stalking with a bow excited me most and was "real huntin". Though 90% of the deer I shot were from deer stands, sittin round waitin for an ambush never appealed much too me. I am no "great white hunter", but I do enjoy and am thoroughly excited by the stalk.

I love to hunt..

I love to sit in a tree stand or blind before daylight and watch the woods wake up with the sunrise, which in itself is incredibly beautiful..I love to scout the trails and try to figure out where that deer's going, where it's been, and can I outsmart it..I love the times I made meat, as well as the times I didn't..I love the smells, the sounds, and the primal connection with the wilderness that never fails to refresh me and recharge my spirit.. Some of the best days I had in the woods were the ones in which I didn't see a deer at all, but still saw some extremely cool stuff- Such as the time right before dark when I had a family of racoons come up the trail I was watching, split up and go around two sides of me within a couple of feet, climb up a tree behind me and begin eating wild grapes..Or the time I was sitting at the base of a big oak and had a Pilated woodpecker examine the trunk about a foot from my head (I WAS a little concerned he might start peckin' my noggin :lol: ) Then there was the time I was sitting underneath a huge poplar in the same hollow and had a HUGE bear come down the hill straight toward me..When she got too close for comfort I stood up, and she took off runnin'..How did I know it was a "she"? On account of the fact she had two yearling cubs with her!

I mainly hunt deer, I hunt for the hormone-free cholesterol-free meat venison provides..Talk about free range! ^_^ And I don't hunt anything I don't eat..But if I ever make a kill on a buck with a rack that I feel should go on the wall that's where it will go! And I'll still eat the rest!

I've ALWAYS said that I hope there's a special place in Hell for trophy hunters!! :angry: Now I ain't talkin' about hunters in general . . . just TROPHY hunters!!! And that's all I got to say on the matter.

Seems most are ignoring your post, but I wont. I know a fellow who hasnt dropped the hammer on a deer in 3 years cause he is waiting for that special buck. When he does shoot he eats what he kills. He in my opinin is a trophhy hunter. Maybe your definition of a trophy hunter is different, maybe your thinking more along the lines of a poacher. But if not I think you are an IDIOT!

I've ALWAYS said that I hope there's a special place in Hell for trophy hunters!! :angry: Now I ain't talkin' about hunters in general . . . just TROPHY hunters!!! And that's all I got to say on the matter.

I manage the deer on my land by killing does when needed and I generally only shoot mature bucks. Can’t eat horns but they sure do look nice. All the meat is used except for when I shoot coyote’s and other varmints. I always hoped there would be a special place in hell for idiots.

Hi Bob,

We love the critters that visit our property, mostly turkey and deer. I'd hate to scare them away. Most of the male deer have tiny horns. We rarley see one with a real nice rack.

I went Dove hunting once and got a few. That sure seemed like a waste of time to cook; tiny little things.

However, if the economy got really bad...

I have nothing against others hunting and love venison steaks, sausage, and jerkey.

Regards,

Allie Mo

I shot a Bowling trophy once, I felt it deserved it. It was ugly and served no purpose what so ever (alot like bowling)

hud (1 bad "Trophy" hunter)

I am not a trophy hunter by any means but me and my buddies to kill quiet a few deer every year mainly doe. We rifle hunt and bow hunt mainly in Nebraska where they are begging to get rid of the deer. We clean and process every bit of it ourselves. I ain't ever had to buy a pound of hamburger from the store. Since we usually have more than enough we get to bless people with it through out the year that need the food. Hunting is way more than killing to me. It is about fellowship with my fellow brothers (and some sisters), being in Gods beauty, and eating a mighty tender chicken fried deer steak!

If it’s legal I support it. Too many folks want to push their ethics and their views of hunting on others and we NEED to stick together as a whole rather than sub-divided groups that gnaw at each other. There are people that take things too far in any sport or activity and there always will be…but that shouldn’t cast a black cloud on the majority of the folks that don’t.

Archived