SASS Wire Forum

Any trophy hunters here?

The Original Bad Bob

I'm not one, but I was talking to someone today who was telling me about somebody that he taught to hunt who became a trophy hunter, and how it made him kind of disgusted to talk to this guy now.

It's all about competition for trophy hunters. Whoever gets the buck with the biggest antlers is the winner.

If you want to read an interesting character study in this kind of thinking, read Hemingway's Green Hills of Africa. Hem was totally a competitive trophy hunter, and if some other guy he was hunting with got a better head than his, he practically threw a tantrum.

He disliked this in himself, but he seemed completely unable to control it.

Oh hunting. I assumed you were talking about buckles. ;)

I'm not one, but I was talking to someone today who was telling me about somebody that he taught to hunt who became a trophy hunter, and how it made him kind of disgusted to talk to this guy now.

"Him" is riding a mighty high horse. The fall from which can be very abasing.

It's all about competition for trophy hunters. Whoever gets the buck with the biggest antlers is the winner.

Sounds like you (and "him") are trying to group trophy hunters with unethical hunters. I'd recommend not doing that.

Hemingway was a basket case. A literary mogul, but a basket case nonetheless.

So long as one makes use of the meat and hide, why not?

Pretty much my feelings also. I'm a meat hunter but I do have some nice heads on the wall. I've respected the animals and enjoyed the food they provided. At the same time I have friends who have hunted in Africa and I enjoy seeing their trophies and hearing their stories. If I ever get the chance to hunt in Africa, I will jump at it.

If you want to read an interesting character study in this kind of thinking, read Hemingway's Green Hills of Africa. Hem was totally a competitive trophy hunter, and if some other guy he was hunting with got a better head than his, he practically threw a tantrum.

He disliked this in himself, but he seemed completely unable to control it.

Green Hills of Africa is one of my favorite reads. I first read it when I was in High School back in the 70s and I still enjoy it. Yes, there is Hemingway's competitiveness in it, but the story is much more. There is considerable discussion about the countryside and animals, about the hunting staff and even literature of the 1930s.

Hunting has been my business for almost 30 years. There is no hunting show in the USA or Canada that I have not attended as an exhibitor at some time or another in that time. I've met and spoken personally to literally 10's of thousands in that time. Your acquaintance brings up an interesting and ubiquitous assertion about trophy hunters that I hear often.

It's as true that the weapon or its choice does not make the hunter as much as it's true that the prowess of the hunter is not proven by the trophies on his/ her wall. I've met people that hunt with whom I refuse to associate and even despise. At the same time I've met people that I'm proud to call my friend who don't hunt at all and never will.

On the one hand there are those who 'harvest' game as if it were beans or corn rather than life- giving, living, bleeding and breathing beings. And there are those who are 'killers'. Killers care no more about the grandeur of the wild animal that grants them a taking than the operator at a slaughter house.

For me the paradox is only solved by the mind of the individual who is hunting. I'm not to judge, but there is nothing that keeps me from an informed decision either. My testimony has put one in prison for 13 years and stripped him of all rights to hunt forever. At the same time, in my view we KILL...we don't harvest. We celebrate the life that was taken and the life that was given by honoring our blessing with the thought, care and station that it deserves.

Is that a trophy? It is for me.

Brother King, I knew I'd find something I'd really liked about you, thank you for standing up to poachers...

Back to the original topic, anything I harvest with my bow, I consider a trophy, so I guess that makes me a trophy hunter... And yes I've just placed my second white in a record book...

Green Hills of Africa is one of my favorite reads. I first read it when I was in High School back in the 70s and I still enjoy it. Yes, there is Hemingway's competitiveness in it, but the story is much more. There is considerable discussion about the countryside and animals, about the hunting staff and even literature of the 1930s.

Yes, it is a very good book. I like Hem's style, have read him for years.

You may also like Robert Ruark. He wrote two very good books about hunting, The Horn of the Hunter (about a 1940s African Safari) and The Old Man and the Boy which is about his grandfather who taught him to hunt.

One time I had an opportunity to speak with a man who was associated with the Safari Club. He gave an insightful reason to “trophy hunt”.

As male animals get older, their sperm count goes down just as humans do. So the old buck with the huge rack who is lord and master over the does in his herd can’t impregnate all of them like he used to. And he is keeping the younger bucks away so they can’t either. So, in a sense, by taking the largest bucks and allowing the more virile young males to mate, it is helping the herd rejuvenate. At least that’s what he said.

As to Africa hunting, the meat doesn’t go to waste there either, usually the meat goes to the trackers and their families and tribes where the hunting is done.

Bystander

Well said Brother King.

A trophy is a personal thing. if i see two bucks, bears,turkeys,moose,ect. am i a bad guy for shooting the bigger one or passing it over to wait for a still bigger one ? I dont think so!!! however, a sore sport or braggart in any game isnt much fun to be with. PORCUPINE KID

Hunting has been my business for almost 30 years. There is no hunting show in the USA or Canada that I have not attended as an exhibitor at some time or another in that time. I've met and spoken personally to literally 10's of thousands in that time. Your acquaintance brings up an interesting and ubiquitous assertion about trophy hunters that I hear often.

It's as true that the weapon or its choice does not make the hunter as much as it's true that the prowess of the hunter is not proven by the trophies on his/ her wall. I've met people that hunt with whom I refuse to associate and even despise. At the same time I've met people that I'm proud to call my friend who don't hunt at all and never will.

On the one hand there are those who 'harvest' game as if it were beans or corn rather than life- giving, living, bleeding and breathing beings. And there are those who are 'killers'. Killers care no more about the grandeur of the wild animal that grants them a taking than the operator at a slaughter house.

For me the paradox is only solved by the mind of the individual who is hunting. I'm not to judge, but there is nothing that keeps me from an informed decision either. My testimony has put one in prison for 13 years and stripped him of all rights to hunt forever. At the same time, in my view we KILL...we don't harvest. We celebrate the life that was taken and the life that was given by honoring our blessing with the thought, care and station that it deserves.

Is that a trophy? It is for me.

Wow, I've never heard or seen it said better. Great reply.

CS

Yes, it is a very good book. I like Hem's style, have read him for years.

You may also like Robert Ruark. He wrote two very good books about hunting, The Horn of the Hunter (about a 1940s African Safari) and The Old Man and the Boy which is about his grandfather who taught him to hunt.

Yes, Ruark is also a great read. I've enjoyed "Horn of the Hunter" and "Something of Value."

I was a hunter but not any more.

I don't have the desire to kill wildlife. For meat, pleasure, antlers, records or otherwise. I can do and like all the components of hunting (scouting, shooting,camping, getting out, etc) but I don't need to joint the herd of hunters during the season to go out and kill something. I doubt if the majority of the hunters do the non killing activities of hunting in the off season either.

I understand there are good hunters that utlize the meat. I understand some people actually need the meat because of their economic situation. I have no problem with those.

I dispise those that waste, those that gut shoot and leave, those that don't finish the kill because they are too lazy to walk across the canyon.

There seems to be fewer and fewer hunters that have good sportsmanship characteristics. But I am not out there surveying the crowd either.

Well, thats about all from my desk.

I know one guy who has this MAMMOTH gun collection, but he has never hunted, never even wanted to hunt. He shoots at the range and enjoys Sporting Clays.

He told me that killing an animal is the last thing he wants to do.

There's all kinds of shooters out there.

I love to hunt. I've hunted all my life with rifles and pistols but mostly with traditional archery equipment. Living in Alaska, I get to hunt some of the most majestic critters on earth in some of the prettiest country you'll ever see. I've killed a few "book" animals over the years and I've killed a LOT of what some would call lesser specimens, if you judge by antlers or horns. The entire experience is what makes the trophy for me. I enjoy the challenge of getting close enough to an animal with highly developed senses to make a quick, clean kill with an arrow. I usually equate "trophy" status with the amount of sweat and effort involved in the pursuit. I've had many hunts that are mental trophies in my mind where I never killed an animal.

As far as folks who hunt just for the biggest antlers or horns, as long as they do it legally and salvage all of the meat, I'm ok with it. Where I see the problem is that there is lots of money tied to appearances and endorsements if you manage to kill a giant trophy and especially if you can do it consistently. Some people just can't stand the temptation to take a big'un however possible. Most so-called trophy hunters or professional hunters are hard-working, ethical hunters. As with most things, a few bad apples cast a shadow over the entire industry.

Just my Four Bucks worth. By the way...my alias has a pretty good hunting story behind it too. :)

If I Knew How I would Post pictures of the finest throphy I Have seen in a coons' age ......... The mulie my youngest boy took this past fall ,,, A big 30+ inch spread With great mass.... It was his first as Mulies are on a draw here, and it took him applying from age 12 till now at age 16 getting his first tag .....

Jabez Cowboy

If I Knew How I would Post pictures of the finest throphy I Have seen in a coons' age ......... The mulie my youngest boy took this past fall ,,, A big 30+ inch spread With great mass.... It was his first as Mulies are on a draw here, and it took him applying from age 12 till now at age 16 getting his first tag .....

Jabez Cowboy

e-mail them to me and I'll post em for ya Pard.

I, like many hunters, do not appreciate the "don't care" type in our sport. They tend to taint us all in some eyes. I used to have my own motto that if I killed it, I must eat it or know someone who will, predators excluded. This motto included wild hogs for years until recently, now the feral hog has caused so much damage that I dislike them worse than coyotes and do not feel to quilty in leaving them to be food for those in the woods that think them tasty.

Anyway, being a avid handgun hunter I have taken numerous whitetail deer and bull elk, some record book stuff, however I can remember one particular whitetail buck that is quite the memorable trophy. That was my first buck with handgun, simply a spike in 1977 with an open-sighted "Dirty Harry" S & W 6 1/2" 44 mag. There have been well over thirty (whitetail) since but this one was certainly a trophy to me. As mentioned in a post above....trophy is in the eyes of the one whom it belongs.

Jabez, congratulations to your boy, that first, and certainly this one, is always a trophy in my book.

bb

Hey Utah Bob,said he knows how ta post picture of my yun-ones Mulie ........ Wooo -Hoooooooo ...

Thanks Pard

Jabez Cowboy

I am almost 70 now and have been hunting (and fishing) since I was 6 or 7. Got my first hunting license when I was 7. My Dad used to carry me on his back thru the mud and water duck hunting. Started shooting doves then and shot my first deer at age 12 when I was legally old enough. Our family ALWAYS ate everything we shot, except predators. My family still does. I don't consider myself a meat or trophy hunter, just both. During big game hunts, I will usually pass up smaller bucks/bulls early, but will take a doe/cow on the last day so we can enjoy the great meat from the animal. I do all my own butchering and preparation. My wife would rather eat an elk or venison steak than beef and it's better for you nutritionally. I still hunt with my Dad who is 93. We went dove hunting last September and he hunted antelope with me in Wyoming in October. Planning a deer hunt here in Colorado in October after I get back from a September wilderness elk hunt in Wyoming.

For many years I hunted big game, varmints occasionally birds. I no longer hunt as I have found other passions. That said though:

I truly enjoyed the scouting in the spring and summer because I got to be in the great outdoors. The close attention to making my own perfect hunting round was theraputic and taught me patience and focus. The time spent with my dad on a cold snowy morning was some of the best of my life, even when we did not say a word for hours on end. At the end of the day, whether I had an animal or not, was a time for reflection on the magnificence of Gods creations. And on those occasions when I did make a kill, I was thankful for my opportunity.

Have I shot a trophy? Not one you will find in the record books. But in the book of my life they were all trophies.

Regards

:FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Hey Utah Bob,said he knows how ta post picture of my yun-ones Mulie ........ Wooo -Hoooooooo ...

Thanks Pard

Jabez Cowboy

Here 'tis Pard

:lol:

Mulies

This is an interesting topic. I dont believe in killing animals for sport nor to eat only because we have butcher shops and grociery stores in the 21st Century. That being said some of the greatest recolections of my childhood are of hunting with my Pop. Anticipating, to wait in quite excitement for the Buck to show, The thoughts running through my head "Will i have the courage to Kill it or will I freez and let it get away" And I have had these moments with my Son. Camping, sitting around a fire in the cold drinkin coffee and bonding. It truley is a right of manhood type atmosphere and a skill and mind set all should probably have. One day there may not be a Publix or Taco Bell and if one does not have the ability or willingess to Hunt, they may not survive but as it is.... Seeing what i have, Animal and Human distruction, there is no need to Destroy life. But i am a hipocrit in a way. I would not hesitate to kill if i or another were in danger. But i digress.

I went to flight school with a gentleman from South Africa who was a Hunting guide. He told me horible tales of Europeans Hunting for Elephant never having held a Gun in thier life blasting away chunks of flesh off the great Beast with a 600 Nitro Express shooting it full of holes but never a killing shot. He would watch untill he could not stand it anymore and put the animal down with a well placed shot. He could not see that anymore so he came hear to become a Pilot. I just think that is wrong.

Just my 2bits

Max Henry

They were not hunters...they were BUTCHERS :angry: Obviously this is not the norm, but I am sure it happened. The guide should have taken the gun away from them and the proceded to whip their butt. :blink:

For those who are opposed to hunting you must realize that virtually every dollar spent on wildlife conservation and research comes from hunting licenses. We have, over the past 200 years, virtually wiped out the large predators that naturally controlled game herds. Add to that the decreased habitat available to game due to development and you have a situation where wildlife herds must be managed and protected to keep them from going extinct. Legal, responsible hunting is a vital part of that, including trophy hunting.

I don't hunt myself but I have always supported hunters and contributed to game and fish agencies.

If you look at the pictures the one with the four Critters in camo are from the butt , My nephew Rick(first time hunter,James My 18 year old ( made his first bowkill Mulie Doe 2 years ago),Vince 16 the proud Hunter and Me (dressed Funny)....

The other photo shows the boys, James with his filled Doe tag, and Vince with his buck .... The doe weighed over 300 pounds ... The buck bottomed the scale out ,,,,,,, The doe was killed about 5 miniutes before the buck from a different herd, the buck was the bigger of two traveling together ... The smaller buck was about a 150 class buck..

Thanks again Utah Bob ..

My boys have been active members of our conservation group since kids and I have served in various ex. possisions in the same ....

Jabez Cowboy

I have not hunted for 35 years. That said, those that hunt, really hunt, which includes not just the stalking and shooting but the cleaning and cooking of game, posess an intellectual honesty that butcher counter consumers such as myself do not have.

I hope you hunters always enjoy your traditional sport.

Very Best Regards,

BJT

Archived