SASS Wire Forum

A Chance to Upgrade to a 73

Smithy

I have owned more than a few 92's in my lifetime so when it came to getting involved in SASS and needing a rifle, the choice was simple; Get an 1892. The one I purchased was a Rossi in 45 LC along with a DVD and a few parts from Nate and sights from Pioneer Gun Works with me doing the kitchen table gunsmithing. It ended up being quite a nice finished package and has served me well thus far. Well most of all people I have talked to, seen, or read here on the wire have done nothing but bad mouthed the 92 for various unsundry reasons, opting instead for a 66 or a 73 rifle. When people ask if they should START SASS with Grandpa's donated 1892 rifle (read free), the answer is usually a resounding NO it's a piece of junk, get a 66 or a 73. Well I have two gun shops to choose from in my local area. One is a Modern only type of indoor range outfit. I have never seen a lever action or a single action in the place. The other gunshop has a little more variety and a few days ago when I stopped by I happened to notice a short barreled 73 in the racks with a case hardened receiver. It was an absolutely beautiful gun to say the least. I asked to see the gun anticipating yet one more gun to lust after. Not a problem. That gun weighed a ton. I couldn't hold it at shoulder height and cycle the action, I had to drop the gun down to my waist just to run the lever. Nope I will not ever need a 73 in my lifetime. Smithy.

I have owned more than a few 92's in my lifetime. I couldn't hold (that 73) at shoulder height and cycle the action, I had to drop the gun down to my waist just to run the lever. Nope I will not ever need a 73 in my lifetime.

Well, bless your heart, Smithy, that leaves another '73 for the rest of us. :lol:

92s are fine. Just not as fast as a 73 or a Marlin for most folks.

Good luck, GJ

I have owned more than a few 92's in my lifetime so when it came to getting involved in SASS and needing a rifle, the choice was simple; Get an 1892. The one I purchased was a Rossi in 45 LC along with a DVD and a few parts from Nate and sights from Pioneer Gun Works with me doing the kitchen table gunsmithing. It ended up being quite a nice finished package and has served me well thus far. Well most of all people I have talked to, seen, or read here on the wire have done nothing but bad mouthed the 92 for various unsundry reasons, opting instead for a 66 or a 73 rifle. When people ask if they should START SASS with Grandpa's donated 1892 rifle (read free), the answer is usually a resounding NO it's a piece of junk, get a 66 or a 73. Well I have two gun shops to choose from in my local area. One is a Modern only type of indoor range outfit. I have never seen a lever action or a single action in the place. The other gunshop has a little more variety and a few days ago when I stopped by I happened to notice a short barreled 73 in the racks with a case hardened receiver. It was an absolutely beautiful gun to say the least. I asked to see the gun anticipating yet one more gun to lust after. Not a problem. That gun weighed a ton. I couldn't hold it at shoulder height and cycle the action, I had to drop the gun down to my waist just to run the lever. Nope I will not ever need a 73 in my lifetime. Smithy.

This is absolutely wonderful news, leaving that gun for someone that really wants to shoot fast! Some folks like Chebies and others Fuerds. You obviously have never felt a race ready 73 or 66. Until you do you will be just overjoyed with everything else. Once you feel a race ready 73, you will understand why folks do not like or want to shoot a stock out of the box rifle.

Howdy

Who says '92s are junk???? Particularly if it was Grandpa's since it is then probably an authentic Winchester. Which is going to be miles and miles better than any Rossi. My first Main Match rifle in CAS was a beautiful Winchester Model 1892, chambered for 44-40 and made in 1894.

Winchester 1892 Rifle

I shot that rifle exclusively in CAS for the first couple of years and only went to an Uberti '73 when I decided to shoot Black Powder. I had been told that the pitted old bore of my '92 would be a pain to clean if shot with Black Powder. Which turned out not to be true.

Last year I picked up a beautiful little '92 Saddle Ring Carbine made in 1919. The bore looked as if it just left the factory. Shoots my 44-40 BP loads like a dream. I can see now that my Henry is going to spend a little bit more time in the safe now since I bought that terrific little carbine.

Winchester '92 Carbine

Yes, the '73 is a heavy gun. My 24" 73 weighs exactly one pound more than my 24" '92. That was one of the original selling points of the '92. It was cheaper to produce than the '73, it was lighter, and it was stronger. Thank you Mr Browning.

Hint: If you want an affordable original '92, look for one that has been refinished. Both of mine were. They were beautiful and affordable because refinishing had knocked down their collector's value.

Can't hold a 73 up????? :lol:

Have seen little old ladys shoot them with no problems. :P

Even my wife can shoot mine. :o

Heck. If you think about it. We only hold our rifle up for a few seconds. B)

But no problem. If ya don't like it. Then ya just don't like it.

Glad you like the others.

Shoot what ya like.

I don't subscribe to the bad mouthing of the '92. They are great guns no matter who manufactured them. Much stronger than the toggle link rifles. They can also be made to be very smooth and fast. Not quick, fast. There is a difference.

A '73, '66 or Henry can be made to be very fast and very quick. It take a little work and it isn't cheap. Oh, and did I mention the toggle link rifles are some heavier than the '92??

There is absolutely no reason not to have fun with a '92.

If your very competitive, a toggle link with all the bells and whistles is a must. The rest of us can get along just fine with a '92.

Driftwood,

My only complaint with your '92s is ........ their not MINE!!

Coffinmaker

When you compare a six cylinder 73 to a six cylinder 92, they run very similar, but once you drop a V-8 in the 73, it'll leave the 92 in dust....even if it's a V-8 92.

As for being heavy, if the 73 you tried seemed heavy, try a 73 carbine or even a trapper.

Buck

(Who shot his first few matches with an original Saddle Ring Carbine 92 in 44-40. See it here.)

I'm glad your 92 does what you need it to. As for me an competing in this sport you can't run fast enough ta give it ta me. Tha weight my 73's have are a plus as it helps tha gun lay still while it is hammered. I've shot a 92 and had a friend who owns probably tha best SASS 92 I've eva shot and it was still like driving 100 mph on a 6 lane interstate in heavy traffic wid a morris minor going from tha far right lane to tha far left at 40 mph every mile. Sooner er later tha wreck is, well its commin.

RRR

I'd like to see 1 post where someone said to not use a 92 if it meant playing the game or not...just one. Now if you asked which is better...or...how would you rate the different rifles available...then yeah, the 92 would probably come in 4th outta 5.

But I say bull to the comment that folks say that the 92 (a free one) is junk and un-usable in this game. Fact is that often times the 92 is a good start as they are available and relatively inexpensive. Once you decide to upgrade, you can sell the 92 and not lose much money.

Now...are you sure it was a 73 and not a 76??????

:wacko:

I'd like to see 1 post where someone said to not use a 92 if it meant playing the game or not...just one. Now if you asked which is better...or...how would you rate the different rifles available...then yeah, the 92 would probably come in 4th outta 5.

But I say bull to the comment that folks say that the 92 (a free one) is junk and un-usable in this game. Fact is that often times the 92 is a good start as they are available and relatively inexpensive. Once you decide to upgrade, you can sell the 92 and not lose much money.

Now...are you sure it was a 73 and not a 76??????

:wacko:

AND.....was it a Uberti (Cimmaron or Taylor) or was it a Chapparel?

Smithy, in your quest for a good rifle, you will find some 'so-so' and turn you off. But there are quality rifles out there. PLUS, you can obtain one from some of the best gunsmiths in the world already finely tuned, etc.

Personally, I'm a Marlin person. But I'll be the first to admit that alot of them work like an anvil is stuck up in the action, especially those produced the past few years.

Ifn ya want a good 66 or 73, let these Wire Pards share their first hand knowledge with ya and Get R Dun. You won't have any regrets.

Good luck

..........Widder

Well I have prob. 6 1892s and really like them. Most are the 20" round barrel type and you are right....they are very light and easy to get around. They are a little slower on the lever but that never bothered me as im not a speed shooter. This week I picked up a 73 in a trade. Its a 24" octagon barrel .45 Colt. The gun is just fine in my opinion. I was shocked at how easy it comes apart and goes back together. Its a true pleasure to work on and mess with. It sure is heavy though. You are right about that. I think a 20" round barrel version would be much lighter though. Even my 92 .357 with the 19" octagon barrel is heavy though.

I do like this new 73 I have and im super glad I got it. I would love to pick up one of the 20" round barrel types and try it out though.

... Now if you asked which is better...or...how would you rate the different rifles available...

Ginger or Maryanne ... it's whatever you like.

If your best friend is married to a short skinny redhead, are you going to tell him she's no good because you like tall athletic blondes?

Ginger or Maryanne ... it's whatever you like.

You may use whatever you like -

but contrary to the Ginger/ Maryanne - Ford/ Chevy - Coke/ Pepsi argument - there are DEFINITE differences/ advantages contrasting 92's and 73's.

The 92 has certain speed limitations upon it - regardless of your skill level and firearms tuning, the 92 is only going to go X amount of fast.

The 73 can be reworked internally i.e. short strokes, to shorten the lever throw and speed the mechanism.

And while NO RIFLE can go faster than the shooter - the 73, when properly tuned and set up, allows the shooter to obtain a higher cyclic rate than the 92 does.

To previous posters; It was an Uberti model 73 (not 76) and the price was an even 1200 bucks. In response to the following..............

Can't hold a 73 up?????

Have seen little old ladys shoot them with no problems.

Even my wife can shoot mine.

Heck. If you think about it. We only hold our rifle up for a few seconds.

I'm now 50 years old and have had diabetes for 34 years now and the complications are sneaking up on me now including a condition that affects the ball joints of the body (ie. hips and shoulders). As smaller capillaries become damaged from the diabetes and blood flow to certain areas decreases this condition worsens. I have severe pain in my left shoulder that has been getting progressively worse for the last 5 to 10 years making it increasingly difficult to hold up a long arm (I'm right handed). All of my long arms are one or more of the following; Small caliber, light weight, or short barreled. Not making me a woose, just having a semi legit excuse for the weight factor. Smithy.

To previous posters; It was an Uberti model 73 (not 76) and the price was an even 1200 bucks. In response to the following..............

I'm now 50 years old and have had diabetes for 34 years now and the complications are sneaking up on me now including a condition that affects the ball joints of the body (ie. hips and shoulders). As smaller capillaries become damaged from the diabetes and blood flow to certain areas decreases this condition worsens. I have severe pain in my left shoulder that has been getting progressively worse for the last 5 to 10 years making it increasingly difficult to hold up a long arm (I'm right handed). All of my long arms are one or more of the following; Small caliber, light weight, or short barreled. Not making me a woose, just having a semi legit excuse for the weight factor. Smithy.

Good gosh. Learn to take a joke would ya.

I mean really. I put little faces all over it so you would know it was a joke.

But then. I guess some just don't get it.

$1200 for an out of the box 73 seems high. Just purchased a new Cimmarron short rifle straight stock for $1350 with all the go fast bells and whistles including a short stroke kit. Check out the CC ads. It is as smooth as any other 73 I have ever handled.

Guest diablo slim shootist

Al some people just don't get your dry humor ;)

Smithy I shot a Marlin for years and just switched to a 73

lately -yes its heaver but i think its an advantage when

you get use to it .That said I was able to try a "Spur" short

stroked Marlin and all I can say is "WOW" what a great gun.

With you I think if you want to upgrade a 73 carbine or a slicked

up Marlin would be a great choice.If you are happy with your 92 great

but try out some of the other light weight rifles-You might be surprised. :D

Good gosh. Learn to take a joke would ya.

I mean really. I put little faces all over it so you would know it was a joke.

But then. But then. I guess some just don't get it.

Al,

Most all on here with IQs at room temperature or above :P knew that Smithy must have some physical limitation to not be able to easily work the 73 at the shoulder. :(

Therefore, thought your first response must be based on personal friendship, but Smithy's response clarified that it was not the case. :blink:

Cute emoticons :lol: do not negate marginal behavior (kinda like putting sugar on liver), and your intent was further confirmed by your second response taking him to task for his honest response when a graceful retreat and apology was in order. :ph34r:

Cowboy Way?

Smithy, I have both '92 and '73 and neither hold me down, both are a hoot to shoot - I'm a mid pack shooter. Obviously the '73 can be made to shoot quicker/faster, but how many of us can really execute that, including the required practice. We all shoot for different reasons, and the '92 will hold only a few of us back from enjoying the game, IMHO.

Harvey

Wow, I shoot them all (73, 66, Marlin, 92, even pumps)and have even owned a couple of Chaparrals. They all shoot well if have em slicked up and find out what they like for lunch (ammo they like). I think that is what makes this sport so great......you get to shoot whatever you wants that fits within the rules. I love the Marlins, but then I don't shoot that fast anyway, so it doesn't really matter.

Yes, the '73 is a heavy gun. My 24" 73 weighs exactly one pound more than my 24" '92. That was one of the original selling points of the '92. It was cheaper to produce than the '73, it was lighter, and it was stronger. Thank you Mr Browning.

My '73 short rifle (20" octagon barrel) weighs exactly one pound more than my 24" Marlin, too. I perceieve that as an advantage for a few minutes a month, but the horse would think otherwise if I were riding the range with it. :)

-Chris

This new version of the Wire really is faster than the old one, but I really liked the old skin. Different strokes for different folks.

I love my 92. It has served me well my first couple of years in SASS. i have never experienced the feeding problems people complain about. Of course, my rifle is in 45. It is light, fast and accurate. A Hartford, it has the sight Nate recommended to EMF. As I have used it it has gotten noticably smoother and faster. I took it deer hunting last year and found it easy to carry in the woods.

Late last fall I encountered a couple of problems as I tried to push myself. As I pushed to cycle faster I found myself waiting. I guess what I encountered is the natural limitation of the stock rifle everybody talks about.

One of the Powder Creek Cowboys showed me his 73 Codymatic in 357. It was love at first cycle. Right now I am awaiting the delivery of my new Uberti Comenchero 73 in 357 from Taylor & CO with all the go fast bells and whistles. The only draw back is it costs about 2 1/2 times the price of the stock Rossi. It was hard to find and the price has gone up since I started looking.

I am not selling my 92. I need a back up and I also need a 40 caliber or larger rifle for Wild Bunch. If I had to start SASS over again, I still would still buy the Hartford. In 45 it is reliable for a new CAS shooter and is a great little brush gun. I can't wait to try the new rifle. I am like a kid waiting Christmas.

Al,

Most all on here with IQs at room temperature or above :P knew that Smithy must have some physical limitation to not be able to easily work the 73 at the shoulder. :(

Therefore, thought your first response must be based on personal friendship, but Smithy's response clarified that it was not the case. :blink:

Cute emoticons :lol: do not negate marginal behavior (kinda like putting sugar on liver), and your intent was further confirmed by your second response taking him to task for his honest response when a graceful retreat and apology was in order. :ph34r:

Cowboy Way?

Smithy, I have both '92 and '73 and neither hold me down, both are a hoot to shoot - I'm a mid pack shooter. Obviously the '73 can be made to shoot quicker/faster, but how many of us can really execute that, including the required practice. We all shoot for different reasons, and the '92 will hold only a few of us back from enjoying the game, IMHO.

Harvey

What ever.

As far as Cowboy Way????

Have been a Cowboy all my life.

Have made 100% of my living working with horses one way or the other

for most my life.

And can tell you one thing.

Cowboys razz each other all the time. About just about everything.

Thats all I was doing.

I now know he can't take it. SO you can bet I won't do it again.

At least never with him. Or you.

I love it when people that have never Cowboyed in there life,

starts tell everyone the Cowboy Way.

For folks that don't know Anvil Al, he's one of the nicest and best pards on the trail. His comments were meant in a friendly, joking spirit. Let's cut a little slack here for Al and Smithy both. Back to the subject, I have a Rossi 92, slicked up just like Smithy's in 44-40 in a SRC. Nice rifle. I've owned and competed with several Henry 1860's, 1866's and 1873's. I'm now testing the waters with a 20" Beretta God Rush in 45LC, and praying it will prove reliable (subject for a separate post). Yesterday, I received another Uberti 1873 in a trade for a Garand I was parting with. What a beauty! It has the 30" barrel and brothers and sisters, 30" makes a long rifle in an 1873! LOL! Remarkably, it shoulders and points like a dream --- for me. Others would no doubt find it awkward. All to say, fit and tastes are unique to each pard. I like all the rifles I've owned. The only one I couldn't get used to was a Pedersoli Deluxe Long Range Sharps in 45-90 with the huge 34" barrel. Fine off the bench, but no way I could do any extended offhand shooting. Smithy - shoot what you like and what you can handle. God be with you.

I shoot a 92 and love it. It's an older model without the safety. I did all the work myself with the kit from Nate. It performs flawlessly. It has never jammed since I started shooting it. I've only been shooting since Sept, so I haven't been around as long as most folks. I do try to pay attention and learn. I have shot a slicked up Marlin and have handled slicked up and stock 73s and 66s. The slicked up uburti's are by far the sweetest feeling gun and far more people shoot 73s and 66s than any other gun. I also see more 73s and 66s with jams at the matches. This is probably normal because there are so many more of them being shot. The ones jamming may also be stock. With all that being said, how much time do you gain with a rifle that will cycle a little faster. Practice with a timer and see how fast you shoot your rifle and see if you can gain anything with a faster gun. Most people can gain more time practicing transitions than anything else. That is where you loose most of your time. I would tell anyone starting out to start with a slick 92 if they weren't comfortable laying down the money for a real race gun. You won't hardly loose anything on it if you decide to upgrade, especially if you start with a used one.

Also the local gun shop here has a 66 Uberti .45LC with 24" oct barrel and brass reciever for $949. Just before Christmas they had a 15% off sale on everything in stock. That put it right at $800. If that had been a .357 I would have had to explain to my wife why I needed another rifle. If you don't get in a hurry and shop around deals can be found.

Bottom line is, shoot what you can afford and what you enjoy. It would be nice to win, but most of us aren't going to fit in that catagory no matter what we are shooting.

Howdy Smithy,

Shoot what you want nobody here will ever look down on what people shoot, but I must say if you start a thread please tell the whole story, from your OP it sounds like you were bad mouthing 73's because of their weight, and the fact you found the the 92 lighter, but since you had left out the part about medical condition that prevents you from handeling heavy objects, I asumed just like about everybody else, what heck is he talking about, some parts of this thread would not have happen if you had told us why the 73 was heavy so next time tell the whole story and avoid the ribbing.

KK

What ever.

As far as Cowboy Way????

Have been a Cowboy all my life.

Have made 100% of my living working with horses one way or the other

for most my life.

And can tell you one thing.

Cowboys razz each other all the time. About just about everything.

Thats all I was doing.

I now know he can't take it. SO you can bet I won't do it again.

At least never with him. Or you.

I love it when people that have never Cowboyed in there life,

starts tell everyone the Cowboy Way.

Let's take this off line, PM Sent.

Harvey

(Licensed professional Razzer, est. 1971) B)

Hey folks and especially Al I harbor NO ill feelings towards Al and any comments he has made. I felt a need to clarify by explanation my reasoning behind the lighter weight rifle for everyone else's edification just in case they were to read it and not understand the reasoning. I have a pretty thick skin so I can take some ribbing like the best of them and have no problems here. Thanks again for the input. Smithy.

Smithy, like most, I don't really care what people shoot. If it puts a smile on your face, I'll pay more attention to the smile than the gun anyway. When new shooters ask other's opinion about what rifle to begin with, most of what is written is simply an effort to give a new shooter the benefit of their experience. As stated earlier, my first few matches were shot with a 92, but the first rifle I bought was a Marlin. At the time the gun was somewhat famous for the "Marlin jam," but in spite of that, it was all I thought I could afford or should invest in a game. Ultimately, my addiction to said game would drive me to buy a 73.

Having shot a 92, a Marlin and a 73, I have some experience that could be helpful to others and reduce their learning curve. Does this mean that after hearing what I and others have to say it will cause them to start with a 73? Absolutely not. They may never have a desire to shoot a 73 for many different reasons and that is perfectly fine.

This "gun preference thing" reminds me of my younger, hot rod, days. If someone had asked me what car they should buy, I had some thoughts based upon what I had seen on the street and at the track. Money was a problem for everyone, so nobody just bought what they wanted. Everyone bought what they could afford and as they saved more cash, they sometimes would trade cars, but most of the time they would spend it on the car they were driving to make it go as fast as possible. The wise amongst us knew that Chevys go faster than Fords :P and that the lighter Camaro with the same drive train would go faster that the heavier Chevelle. Now, in spite of this profound knowledge, you still saw everything imaginable. One stupid fellow, Leon, even bought an undeniably ugly Plymouth Superbird like this one just because he liked it. What was our reaction? Well, we made fun of him.

Given the benefit of time (code for aging), I know that I have come to a bit different outlook and I suspect most here have done the same. Nowadays, if Leon asked us which car to buy, we'd still assume his goal was to go as fast as possible and the wiser amongst us would recommend a Chevy. We'd tell him that a Ford is pretty fast and that a Plymouth or Dodge would be the last choice (of course disregarding any import). If he had plenty of money, we'd probably even go so far as to skip over my beloved 69 Z-28 and tell him to buy a Vette....BUT if he just wanted to go pretty fast (on the top end only) and drive an undeniably ugly Plymouth Superbird, we wouldn't make fun of him. We've mellowed by now and realized that as long as he is happy, we'll be happy for him....even though his ugly Superbird is now worth more than any of the cars we drove.

Now, if Duece and Widder had been around during these hot rod days, I'm guessing that they'd be Ford guys and proving to the rest of us that a souped-up Ford (Marlin) could spank a Chevy (73) if the right feller was driving. If that had happened, my friends and I would be speculating that these Ford (Marlin) guys could probably be even faster if they were driving a Chevy (73). Somewhere out there'd sure to be a feller driving a Dodge (92) that is capable of beating most Chevy (73) drivers and practically all of the Ford (Marlin) guys, but we still think that if the boys could have a Chevy (73), they'd be all the faster.

So what has all this rambling meant to convey? Well, simply that if someone asks our opinion on what car (gun) they should drive (shoot), we will state our opinions. We have based our opinions on our observations and many of us have come to the following conclusions:

With the same driver in the seat -

A Chevy (73) is faster than a Ford (Marlin)

A Ford (Marlin) is faster than a Dodge (92)

A Dodge (92) is way, way faster than a Maverick (Lightning) - Yes, a Maverick is a Ford, but it doesn't count just as a Corvair doesn't count as a Chevy when you're talking about racing. :D

Even a Maverick (Lightning) is faster than a Volkswagon (Winchester 94)

All of this is subject to change as time goes on because someone (Lassiter and Dallas) might come along, drop a V-8 in a Maverick (Lightning) and we watch as the Maverick, with tires still smoking as it crosses the finish line, leaves everyone looking at each other and asking, "Was that really a Maverick? I bet he's got a Chevy V-8 in that sucker!" :lol:

Smithy, you seem to be the smiling type. Most of the rest of us are too. We might not think that ol' Superbird is the fastest thing on the track, but it's got some style and while I might compare it to the 92, the big difference is the 92 is B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L.

Peace out.B)

Why Buck!! You forgot to mention the Rambler (Burgess)!! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Hi Smithy;

I've used a 92 in the past. They are a good gun. For me, the 66 was heavier than I liked. It took a while for me to get used to the 73, but I now prefer it to the Marlin and the 92 (both are ok). I never did like the Winchester Legacy... they were just to slow for me with the drop down action throw. I think that you would like the 73 if you gave it a chance, and once you got over the learning curve. Maybe a bit of weight training might help! :lol: The bottom line is this... if you are happey with what you are shooting, and don't want to try something different,then shoot what you have.

I tried a Burgess.... and liked it. they are kinda of a cross between a Marlin and a 92... that might suit your fancy!

Snakebite

Archived