SASS Wire Forum

Pre-requisites for becoming an RO II Instructor

Buck D. Law, SASS #62183

A bit over a month ago, there was an announcement regarding changes being made that require a person to be a RO II Instructor (aka ROIII or RO3) in order to teach any RO class including RO I. You can read the entire discussion by following this link.

In my last post on the thread December 16th, I promised to dig into it and pass along the information to others who might be interested in pursuing being an RO II Instructor. This information was sent to me by Hip Shot along with the following: “The RO Committee is currently re-vamping the RO Instructor process, so things will change... soon.” I have asked that those changes be sent to me when they are done.

As it turns out, the only thing I have NOT done that is a pre-requisite is teach RO I courses. I had already started the process of correcting that last month. For the anal retentive amongst us (I’m holding up my hand too), there is, of course, the two letters of recommendation as well, but I’m pretty sure I can get some folks who don’t know me all that well to write a letter. :D

I hope this information will ease the mind of others who might wish to take on the task and become RO II Instructors. It's been pointed out that not just anybody can do it, but then...we’re not just anybody. :D

ROII Instructor Candidate,

RO II Instructors are a major component of the SASS RO Program. Instructors are on the front line when it comes to spreading

the SASS RO Program throughout our sport. Training competent Range Officers is the first line of defense in keeping our sport

safe for all of us to enjoy for generations to come.

We are proud of what we have built the SASS RO Program into. Our safety record speaks for itself. In efforts to keep the

program at its best, ROII Instructors will be selected by committee and the process and requirements for selection are as follows:

Prior to applying as an ROII Instructor Candidate you must be:

1. A SASS member in good standing for at least three years.

2. An ROII for at least one year.

3. Have taught or assisted in teaching the ROI Course at least twice.

4. Willing to travel to teach the RO courses.

Also you must meet at least 1 of the following requirements:

a. Be or have been a Territorial Governor.

b. Be or have been a Match Director or Range Master for a SASS Sanctioned Match. (State or Higher)

c. Be or have been a Posse Marshal for a SASS Sanctioned Match. (State or Higher)

Then you must submit an application along with two letters of recommendation from current Territorial Governors or current

ROII instructors. This application will be reviewed by the RO Committee and will be approved or disapproved based on needs of

the geographic area and needs of the program.

Once selected, the ROII Instructor Candidate must then schedule to teach an ROII and an ROI course, if needed, with a member

of the SASS RO Committee. The members are Tex, Hipshot, Coyote Calhoun, San Quinton, Cole Younger, Pale Wolf Brunelle,

Quick Cal, Virgil Earp, Snakebite, Doc Faraday, J.T. Wild, Rowdy Yates, Blackjack Zack, Jubal Sacket, and Rattle Snake Blake.

SASS Regionals, Winter Range and END of TRAIL are the primary places for the Committee members to be available. Other

locations may be arranged.

Once approved as an ROII Instructor, you then must complete at least 3 requirements each year from the list below to maintain

your teaching status.

• Teach at least 1 ROI Course.

• Teach at least 1 ROII Course.

The RO Course Instruction will be tracked through the SASS Office. Please keep records of your classes.

Attaching class rosters will be helpful.

• Take an ROII Instructor refresher course. (It will be mandatory to take a refresher course every two years.)

Refresher courses will be offered at the Territorial Summit, EOT, Winter Range and the SASS Regionals.

• Attend the Territorial Governors Summit.

• Attend a Territorial Governors Meeting at END of TRAIL, Winter Range or a SASS Regional.

All SASS ROII Instructors are welcome to sit in on all Territorial Governors meetings. You may not vote

unless you are a Territorial Governor but may participate in discussions.

• Work as a Match Director or Range Master for a State or higher-level SASS sanctioned match.

• Work as a Berm or Posse Marshal at a Regional or higher-level SASS sanctioned match.

ROII Instructor Candidates must exhibit the “Spirit of the Game” in their behavior and attitude toward the sport. SASS will not

tolerate poor sportsmanship or failure to promote the “Spirit of the Game” by any ROII Instructor. ROII Instructors are not

empowered by SASS to do anything other than teach the RO Materials as provided and act in a positive manner when dealing

with SASS issues.

Thanks for your interest!

The SASS RO Committee

Here's the application...which makes much more sense once a person knows the pre-requisites.

SASS RO II INSTRUCTOR

APPLICATION FORM

Each RO II Applicant must submit this form along with 2 recommendations from either current

Territorial Governors or current ROII Instructors. This is a PDF form which can be filled out on your

computer, saved and then e-mailed. Use the Tab key to move from field to field.

Name____________________________________________________________________________________

Alias_____________________________________________________________ SASS#_________________

Address__________________________________________________________________________________

City_________________________________________________ State__________ Zip__________________

Phone__________________________ E-mail___________________________________________________

_________________________________________________________________________________________

How long have you been a SASS Member? _____________________________________________________

Are you willing to travel?__________Have you traveled over 50 miles to teach an RO Course? _________

Are you a Territorial Governor?_______ Have you attended a Territorial Governor Summit?_________

Have you attended a SASS EOT, National or Regional Territorial Governors Meeting?______________

Have you ever been a Match Director or Range Master for a SASS Sanctioned Match?_________

If so where? ______________________________________________________________________________

Have you ever been a Posse Marshal at a SASS Sanctioned State, Regional or higher match?_______

If so where?______________________________________________________________________________

Number of RO I Courses taught.___________Please list places and dates taught.____________________

_________________________________________________________________________________________

When did you take the ROII Course?______________________________________________________

Who was your instructor for the ROII Course?_________________________________________________

Who will be your teaching partner for ROII Courses?__________________________________________

Are you computer savvy? (Do you feel comfortable in downloading files and printing them at home or office.)______________

Do you have any other teaching experience? ____________________________________________________

________________________________________________________________________________________

This form must be e-mailed to Coyote Calhoun along with letters (e-mails) of recommendation

to coyote@sassnet.com. Also, please attach any other document you may deem helpful

Thanks Buck for posting the details, but the one nemesis that still remains is:

This should be captioned: How to burn out the instructors and minimize the number of new RO I & II's.

Several months back, we discussed this issue on the Wire and the RO Committee was going to look into computer aided training courses that a person can take in the convenience of their home

Might add, over half the TG's don't even attend or submit proxy votes for there clubs. An instructor has to be a TG and expect them to travel? LOL! :wacko:

An instructor has to be a TG and expect them to travel? LOL! :wacko:

One of my original questions was if you had to have been a TG. I assumed it was possible (going back to the original discussion) since the application asked the question, but after seeing the letter containing the pre-requisites, I see that you do not have to have been a TG, but rather just meet one of the three requirements in that section:

b. Be or have been a Match Director or Range Master for a SASS Sanctioned Match. (State or Higher)

c. Be or have been a Posse Marshal for a SASS Sanctioned Match. (State or Higher)

I have never been a TG and likely will never be because of the Life Membership requirement, but I have been a posse marshall at a state match on more than one occassion. If I had not done that, I have to wonder if serving as assistant posse marshall at two different regionals would count.

My advice to anyone wanting to become a RO II instructor would be to begin checking things off the list (now that they've seen the list). There's no hurry since becoming a RO II Instructor won't increase our pay scales. :D

Looks to me like they (The Wild Bunch) don't want any more ROII instructors unless they are part of the traveling "posse". Very few folks can meet those criteria. Seems that it would be more benificial to the orginazition to have more, not less instructors doing the courses for the shooters that will, likely NEVER get to go to the biggie shoots, let alone be a range officer there. MHO

Al (Long time LIFE member, RO1 & ROII, wanting to become ROIII. Not likely now)

Our former Range Master sent in his App right after the new ruling came out.So far he's heard nothing...zero....zip....nada....squat.I guess they aren't too interested in finding GOOD people to take on this "new" position.

john boy the willing to travel is in regard to teaching not refreshing. you should be willing to travel 50-100 miles to help at another club so that every club doesnt need its own instructor. i read so many statements on the wire about cowboys travel 1-2 hrs just to get to their home club. that doesnt seem unreasonable to me.

the refreshing requirement remains an issue because of the limited choices that result in distance, entry fees, hotel, meals, and on and on.

buck, there is a discrepancy on your form in that it says a posse leader at state or above but our paper work says at a regional or above. that should get cleared up.

Work as a Berm or Posse Marshal at a Regional or higher-level SASS sanctioned match.

charlie

buck, there is a discrepancy on your form in that it says a posse leader at state or above but our paper work says at a regional or above. that should get cleared up.

• Work as a Berm or Posse Marshal at a Regional or higher-level SASS sanctioned match.

charlie

It took me a bit to figure out what you were speaking of, but a word search for "Regional" helped me indentify it. I see now what you are speaking of. Being a posse marshal at a state match is listed as being at item that will count toward qualifying a person to become an RO II Instructor, but being a posse marshal for a state match does not count as an item in the process of continued certification. As listed, it must be at a regional match in order to count. Good catch. Of course, I can't say for sure if that was intentional or an oversight.

Prior to applying as an ROII Instructor Candidate you must be:

1. A SASS member in good standing for at least three years.

2. An ROII for at least one year.

3. Have taught or assisted in teaching the ROI Course at least twice.

Once approved as an ROII Instructor, you then must complete at least 3 requirements each year from the list below to maintain your teaching status.

• Teach at least 1 ROI Course.

• Teach at least 1 ROII Course.

The RO Course Instruction will be tracked through the SASS Office. Please keep records of your classes.

Attaching class rosters will be helpful.

• Take an ROII Instructor refresher course. (It will be mandatory to take a refresher course every two years.)

Refresher courses will be offered at the Territorial Summit, EOT, Winter Range and the SASS Regionals.

• Attend the Territorial Governors Summit.

• Attend a Territorial Governors Meeting at END of TRAIL, Winter Range or a SASS Regional.

All SASS ROII Instructors are welcome to sit in on all Territorial Governors meetings. You may not vote

unless you are a Territorial Governor but may participate in discussions.

• Work as a Match Director or Range Master for a State or higher-level SASS sanctioned match.

ROII Instructor Candidates must exhibit the “Spirit of the Game” in their behavior and attitude toward the sport. SASS will not tolerate poor sportsmanship or failure to promote the “Spirit of the Game” by any ROII Instructor. ROII Instructors are not empowered by SASS to do anything other than teach the RO Materials as provided and act in a positive manner when dealing with SASS issues.

Buck

I am trying to fulfill the requirements for becoming a ROII Instructor. I had this information from Hipshot and would certainly be interested in any changes that are made to the requirements. In the meantime, I am looking for an opportunity to serve as a Posse Marshal at a state or higher match. (I taught the RO courses with Sawyer last year at the Ambush at Cavern Cove, have shot there twice and would love to marshal a posse in that match, so if you have some pull in that regard, please let me know. I promise enthusiasm and a modicum of competence.

Cassalong Hopidy

Looks to me like they (The Wild Bunch) don't want any more ROII instructors unless they are part of the traveling "posse". Very few folks can meet those criteria. Seems that it would be more benificial to the orginazition to have more, not less instructors doing the courses for the shooters that will, likely NEVER get to go to the biggie shoots, let alone be a range officer there. MHO

Al (Long time LIFE member, RO1 & ROII, wanting to become ROIII. Not likely now)

I agree, sounds like a radical change to fix a problem of a few poor instructors. This criteria is gonna leave out some very good instructors, as well as folks like yourself that would like to continue thier certification and help educate the SASS members in thier area. Continuing education along with some strict instructional guidlines, and some oversight could weed out the poor instructors the WB seems to be concerned with.

Jefro

I have no heartburn with their intentions to improve the instructor base. I do have heartburn with the immediate implementation of same. I think it would have been much wiser to state, "The following will go in effect 12/1/11, so all of you ROIIs who would like to be ROII Instructors need to update your credentials."

This would have been a much smoother process IMHO, instead of causing backlogs of people wanting ROI certification, disappointment, and downright anger that I have witnessed among several ROIIs. My two cents worth. :angry::huh:

Hi Folks,

I don't understand the anger over this change. The new process should be in place within the year. What is the emergency?

The desire to know the rules can be satisfied by studying the SHB, ROI and ROII booklets.

Please, someone explain to me why taking/teaching the class is so important. :unsure:

Regards,

Allie Mo :ph34r:

I think each club should have its own RO II Instructor

I think each club should have its own RO II Instructor

Hi Cope,

That is way overkill. In my area there are five SASS-affiliated clubs shooting at the same venue. There would not be sufficient students to have enough classes to allow the ROII instructors to meet the recertification requirements.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Archived