SASS Wire Forum

Commemorative '73 rifle

Grayrock, SASS #64093

The latest American Rifleman has an ad for the John Wayne Tribute Rifle. Uberti 1873 in .45 Colt. Sure like the looks of it- but for $2495 it is going to stay on the pages of the ad. But it got me to thinking- does anyone have a commemorative rifle that they actually shoot in matches? I am of the mindset that a gun is a tool and meant to be used. One you just look at is of no use to me. Look at it at here: http://www.americaremembers.com/products/JWTRI/JWTRI.asp

Well ....... no. I won't personally own a rifle or pistol I cant/won't shoot. But this outfit picked the wrong rifle. JW carried '92s everywhere. Even if the movie was set the day after the Civil War, JW had a '92. I did do a complete action job and short stroke on a very expensive commemorative Henry once. I don't know if the customer ever shot it after the work. I know I would have.

Coffinmaker

Maybe just me, but I've never seen the point to these commemorative rifles and pistolas that come out. Franklin Mint type of stuff, with the exception that they're real and cost 2 to 3 times more than the base firearm.

Some folks may think they're valuable to future buyers but they ain't. Sort of like "investing" in Thomas Kinkade paintings.

Must be a certain market, though; there's allus a new one coming out.

I have a Winchester in 38-55, a Legendary Frontiersman model. When looking for a lever 38-55 I could not find a plain jane version in a price range I could afford. This one was NIB, tags, sleeve, commemorative ammo etc etc and hundreds less. When I took it to the range for the first time you could hear a collective sigh of "oh no, not gonna shoot that are ya?"

Yep I did :) though I still have the ammo and box for it.

Regards

:FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

I have always felt if ya can't shoot em they ain't much good. ^_^

I have always felt if ya can't shoot em they ain't much good.

My thoughts exactly! I've owned a couple of commemoratives over the years and have shot each and every one of them. Smithy.

I have a 73 that is an Indian Scout Commemorative, in nickle, had a matching 75 remmie that I sold, I shot the 73 faithfully til I went BW.

cheyenne

Archived