SASS Wire Forum

22 for CAS?

Guest atracksler

Guest atracksler

I recently discovered CAS (yeah me!)

I didnt know if a 22 was "legal" for the pistol and rifle portions.

Thanks in advance.

Yep, what Grizz said.

BUT

If that's all you got don't let it stop you from seeking out a local club. Go first without the guns and just introduce yourself to a bunch of the guys there.

Chances are you will get offers to try their equipment. Do it. It'll help you figure out what you want to buy.

Then ask if you can shoot 22's til you get your big guns. They might let ya.

Happy cowboyin'

Waimea

:FlagAm:

I've seen some handloaded .38s (as in "I've seen the bullet fly downrange") that seem to have less "oomph" than a .22!

Kidding aside, I'd echo what others said: If you are interested enough to visit the SASS Wire (and welcome aboard), head out to a club in your area and attend a match. You can locate a local club, probably several, on the main SASS page. I can virtually guarantee you a warm welcome. People will line up to show you different types of guns that are available, some you may not have even heard of before (I thought an "open top" was a convertible automobile).

The club info probably includes a contact. Send that person an email and let them know you are interested. I showed up at my local club a year ago wearing tennis shoes and a baseball cap. I did not own any cowboy guns. I was invited to "give it a try". A guy I'd never met handed me a pair of three-screw Ruger Blackhawks and walked off. Another fellow gave me a gunbelt and holsters. At every stage a different cowboy invited me to try his '73 rifle, a Marlin, a '92, a '66, a two-trigger shotgun, a '97 pump....The RO explained all the rules and coached me through the stages of fire. I probably posted the slowest time in club history. The cowboys said, "good shooting", "way to go", "shot that one better", "getting the hang of it now". I had an absolute blast. I was hooked.

When I tried to thank the cowboys (and cowgirls) they always said, "that's OK, we all started off as new shooters, and lots of people helped me out when I was getting started."

The old-style guns are fun. Some people get a kick out of the Western clothing. I thought the personalized gun carts were really interesting. If you like to shoot, we fling a lot of lead downrange (I shot 100 rounds of sporting clays once; we beat that round count every match in Cowboy). All good, but the best part of Cowboy Action Shooting is the people.

Come on out, give it a try.

If you've a mind to shoot .22lr, Ruger Single Six is a great .22lr/.22wmr single action revolver.

It comes with or without adjustable rear sights. I have the "Buntline" version, 9.5" bbl, with adjustable rear

sight. It's also great for plinkin' and target shootin'. Along with that I also have a, .22lr, Henry Golden Boy

lever action rifle. It's about the slickest lever, out of the box, out there. There's a market for these guns

with Buckeroos', under 13 year SASS class, if you ever outgrow them. My club used to have a single stage .22 warm

up, for kids or adults before the main match. Both of these guns are allot of fun, and you can shoot them all day

without hurtin' your shoulder or your pocket. Many SASS members use them for cheap practice, the week before a

match. One thing to remember: If you buy new guns, one each of these will set you back around $1,000, money

maybe better spent on main match guns. You should try before you buy. Most SASS shooters have extra guns, for

backup, incase something breaks during a match.

This game can get expensive. Check out the SASS Classified section of this Website for good buys on used guns and

other stuff. SASS members have a great reputation for giving other members good deals on used stuff. You can

often find what you want, already slicked up, for much less than what a new item would cost.

A blackhawk 357 you can use for a main match gun, a single six .22 you can't as detailed above.

I'll echo the advice given above, GO OUT TO A MATCH! Folks in this game are friendly and will answer your questions and often volunteer to let you try their guns. When I was starting out I was fairly sure I wanted Ruger New Vaqueros. I went to a match and asked questions and chatted with folks and had offers to let me try some Rugers out after the match, I did, and loved them, and that's what I bought.

Grizz

A blackhawk 357 you can use for a main match gun, a single six .22 you can't as detailed above.

I'll echo the advice given above, GO OUT TO A MATCH! Folks in this game are friendly and will answer your questions and often volunteer to let you try their guns. When I was starting out I was fairly sure I wanted Ruger New Vaqueros. I went to a match and asked questions and chatted with folks and had offers to let me try some Rugers out after the match, I did, and loved them, and that's what I bought.

Grizz

....... what he said, ...

As stated. Get to a match BEFORE you buy anything. It will save you money :excl:

If you have not bought anything yet. Then yes. Buy main match guns. BUT. Which ones???

Blackhawks are great guns. Wife shoots them. BUT. They are not legal in all categories.

Hate to see you buy them and then want to shoot in a category that does not allow them.

Like Duelist or GFer.

You will save yourself a lot of time, and money by going to a match or two. Doing some research

as to what category you want to start shooting in. Before you buy.

I recently discovered CAS (yeah me!)

I didnt know if a 22 was "legal" for the pistol and rifle portions.

Thanks in advance.

I don't know where you live pard. If you can make it to our club, the Texas Ten Horns, we have a .22 class called Double Deuce where you can shoot .22 revolvers and Rifle and any SASS legal main match shotgun. We are located East of Dallas a little ways. Welcome to this great sport.

Archived