SASS Wire Forum

It is an ill wind

THAT BLOWS NO ONE GOOD!

Heard that for years.

This morning is a good example of it.

Woke up to the news that the WDFW will close all of the rivers that feed into Puget Sound and the Straits of Juan de Fuca to steelhead fishing, beginning February 1, 2011.

They will not set the new rules for salmon and steelhead until later this Spring when they meet with the

folks from Oregon and California to determine returns of spawning fish from the ocean.

Bad news is that this will not stop poaching, and the commercial fishers will just go to the Columbia and Olympic Peninsula to fish. More pressure on those rivers. I would much rather see them CLOSE ALL

STEELHEAD FISHING AND ENFORCE THE LAWS AGAINST POACHING, than to take these half measures.

I just purchased a new rod, reel and set it up for bobber fishing for steelhead. Now this. Oh woe is me.

The local rivers have been at flood stage for the last two weeks or so. I guess I will have to use that new

rod and reel on something else. Maybe blackmouth in the Puget Sound. I wonder if I have enough whiskey for that?

:unsure:

Ok Rant is over. It is a new day and the sun is shining

SOMEWHERE. ^_^

Edit for spelling. Hey, I'm old and don't see too well. :lol:

What is a blackmouth? Thought it was from eatin likkerish sticks.

Blackmouth is an immature chinook salmon that does not go out to the open ocean. They mill around in the salt chuck of Puget Sound and the estuary of rivers and also Straits of Juan de Fuca. Most run between six and twelve pounds. When they mature, they go to sea they feed and return at about 20 pounds up to sixty or so.

Sixty is rare. Thirty is more like it.

PUCKER FACTOR!

Lots of excitement on Puget Sound.

You can take a Nantucket sleighride on the wake of some of those big ocean freighters

coming in with all those nice goods from China.

A Killer Whale gets aholt of yur herring and wheeeeee!

Wind comes up out of the southwest and blows the tops of the waves off.

Yessirrebobb, no dull times there.

But you do have to wear your PFD, Grizz. :lol:

Badger was being kind, not bringing up the fact that a US Judge in Tacoma decided about forty years ago that the indians by treaty had a right to 50% of the fish. That is not subsistance fishing.

Fishing on the high priced Columbia, are you Paladin?

I thought that was a nice touch that the WDFW added the

$10.00 fee to the fishing license to fish the Columbia.

The fish must be tastier or something. Maybe the beer

is colder.

If I can con Willie into it, I would like to take in Bank's lake for walleyes this spring.

So, BMC was it the Vodka soaked fish that woke you up in such a bad mood?

So, BMC was it the Vodka soaked fish that woke you up in such a bad mood?

I actually woke up in a good mood, Deja. The simple fact that I woke up was a plus.

Asides, Captain Jack has not learned to open the door by his own self. So, I get up

and take him out to water the flowers.

I am not angry about the fishing issue. I am disappointed that the State does not do

what is best for the fish to restore the wild stocks and to administer the hatchery stock.

It gets political and that spoils things in a big hurry. There is a lot of poaching that goes

on and the State does not enforce the laws on the books. That is a negative for all of us.

Anyhoo, there is a fish out there waiting for me and my new equipment.

Badger was being kind, not bringing up the fact that a US Judge in Tacoma decided about forty years ago that the indians by treaty had a right to 50% of the fish. That is not subsistance fishing.

As soon as I read the original post that thought came to mind... and wonderin' if that "right" will be affected at all ~ or are there to be no limits "upstream?" :mellow:

Badger I woke up with a terrible ill wind this morning. Ate beans yesterday..... :D

BMC, I suggest that you write letters to the editors of all your local papers and get yourself published in them papaers. Take your fight public.

This fight has been going on since before the Judge Boldt decision back in the 1970.

We are faced with a situation of a diminishing resource that has a substantial value.

Because of the political ramifications of making a decision that will improve the situation

the folks that run the show are under the thumb of the Governor because the WDFW is

a State Appointee position. Because the tribes have been forced into financial support

for the office and the commercial fishing industries has a lot of dollars to spend, the

fishery is the one that suffers. License sales for sportsfishing is minimal in comparison

to the taxes on sales of fish products, jobs secured and tribal contributions. In other words,

follow the money.

They have spent millions if not billions of dollars on fish ladders, hatcheries and road construction, yes road construction, to insure the salmon runs. However, we still have phantom nets at the rivers mouth

barring any escapement of fish, overfishing by commercial netters and sports fishers that want to be the last guy to catch a salmon in Puget Sound. That on top of the Urban Sprawl of contractors building houses in the rivers flood plane and selling prime land as "WATER FRONT" property so the run off of septic tanks and parking lots from strip malls is carried down stream.

It is not a pretty picture.

:( Amen to that, BMC. Lefty and I have decided to sell the fishing boat. Just get tired of the craziness. What was once fun is now just work. You need to have a law degree just to figure out all the rules and regs. :(

Bonnie, I think the real losers in this battle are our children and grandchildren.

Sadly, my grown grandson will probably never see the vision of a sunrise over pristine forest and

rivers. They are still out there but one would have to turn off the cell phone/tv/computer to find them.

It would also require a search. Not many are willing to make that search. :(

Archived