SASS Wire Forum

Shotgun Stock Cutting

Noz

Me with time on my hands is thinking about putting the -5 degree cut on my Spartan butt.

Question: From where is the -5 degree angle measured?

I assume it is measured using the rib of the shotgun as a horizontal. A vertical dropped from that horizontal would be the base line. A line, 5 degrees toward the muzzle from the base line and intersecting the top of the stock at the butt should give the proper cut????????????

I think that you have it right. That is my understanding also.

On my Stoeger, I just cut 90 degrees from the top of the stock, which gave me a slight angle when measured off of the bore axis. I haven't measured the finished angle, but it looks to be about right. Of course this is dependent on the drop in the comb, if you were to do it this way. Better to measure off of the bore axis if you're worried about it.

Me with time on my hands is thinking about putting the -5 degree cut on my Spartan butt.

Question: From where is the -5 degree angle measured?

I assume it is measured using the rib of the shotgun as a horizontal. A vertical dropped from that horizontal would be the base line. A line, 5 degrees toward the muzzle from the base line and intersecting the top of the stock at the butt should give the proper cut????????????

Yep, that's how. If you were to be technical, it would be 85 degrees off of the bore centerline. I just eyeball it for all the precision needed for CAS shooting.

Don't try measuring off the line of the top of the stock comb. Even on the same model, that can vary a few degrees. And the comb is rarely parallel to the bore, especially on shotguns.

Good luck, GJ

Looks like that will take about 1/4" off of the toe of the stock?

Looks like that will take about 1/4" off of the toe of the stock?

Yep, if the butt was cut straight to begin with. For ladies, I take off more like 1/2 inch (from the stock, you guys!).

GJ

Interesting question Noz, and something I don't think many folks have ever considered.

I've always measured the angle relative to the top edge of the stock, which does take off about 1/4" to 3/8" from the toe. I suppose lacking a big protractor one could use those figures as a guide to get the same angle.

Use a miter saw........Set the top of the comb against the fence ......Set the blade angle to 5 degrees......Put a small shim under the stock to prevent it from moving and cut it...Thats the way I have done the last 15 or 20 .....Bandit

Archived