SASS Wire Forum

Here's to North Platte, Nebraska

Wow what a great story! I am 2 generations from the war (my grandfathers both fought)It makes me wonder if we are still that America? I sure hope so.

I read about this a couple of years ago. It was truly the Miracle of North Platte! The book goes into great detail about how it started, and all the communities that participated, not just North Platte. North Platte started it and was always the focal point, but even folks from Colorado rode the train to North Platte to contribute.

Unfortunately, the UP tore down the Station right after the book came out, before it could be named a Historic Structure.

Truly amazing, especially considering that everything ~ gas, eggs, milk, etc. ~ was RATIONED, and people gave up their ration coupons (yes, even in farm country) to bake cakes & pies for the servicemen.

It is one of the things I think of when I get discouraged about the future of our country. In spite of all the bad that we hear, our country is still full of people like those! Don't believe me? Take a good look around the Saloon and the Wire!

Buena suerte,

eGG

Archived